News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road trips "within" a state that take you out of state

Started by ipeters61, January 16, 2020, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipeters61

Today, I was thinking about how US-50 exists in two segments in Maryland in two very different parts of the state.  This leads to an interesting phenomenon, where one of the suggested routes by Google Maps for a trip between Oakland MD (extreme western MD) and Delmar MD (eastern shore, "on" the DE state line) takes you through: Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, DC, back into Maryland, Delaware, and then finally back to Maryland.  In other words, you end up switching states six times (for this example, just count DC as a "state") to simply end up in your destination's state, which is the same as that of your origin.

Of course there are cases where you may cross into a bordering state once.  For example, driving between Westchester County Airport and Armonk NY on I-684 takes you through Connecticut.  Further, a trip between Hooes VA and Chincoteague VA is best accomplished via the MD Bay Bridge.  However, what I'm interested in are cases where you enter more than one other state to enter your destination state, which is the same as your origin.

Any other cases you guys can think of? (be reasonable in your routings, it should be something suggested by mapping software or at least something direct)
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ilpt4u

Greendale, IN (near the Indiana portion of I-275) to New Albany, IN (IN portion of I-265)

Google Maps #1 routing is thru Kentucky, using I-275->I-71->I-64

To reach the IL Exclave (and 1st Capitol) of Kaskaskia by vehicles other than Air or Water, one must enter Missouri first from IL - the closest Mississippi River bridge is in Chester, IL, and from there, MO 51->Hwy H->US 61->(back in IL) Old Channel Rd

Cairo, IL to Metropolis, IL (the 2 Southern tips of IL), Google Maps routes traffic over the Ohio River twice into Kentucky, using KY 286/US 62 between Wickliffe and Paducah/I-24, then back north to Metropolis

Rereading your post...you are looking for a road trip with endpoints in one state that travels thru more than one other state as a "primary"  routing - how about Menominee, MI to New Buffalo, MI? Google Maps has the primary routing basically along the western and southern shores of Lake Michigan, thru WI, IL, and IN

Max Rockatansky

Taking a long trip on US 395 would easily lead someone onto it's two segments in California which are broken up with Nevada.  There are numerous destinations on the El Camino Sierra portion alone that would merit a worth while trip that could start in California, enter Nevada, only to end up back in California.

WNYroadgeek

Google's suggested route from Buffalo to NYC goes through Pennsylvania and New Jersey (I-190, I-90, NY 400, US 20A, NY 36, I-390, I-86, I-81, I-80).

ilpt4u

There are some Ohio River towns in Ohio that you can get Google to spit out Primary routes that travel from Cincy to destination via Kentucky and West Virginia...I tried Proctorville, which is across the Ohio from Huntington, WV

jp the roadgeek

Speaking of I-684, the best route from Greenwich to Danbury (mind you they're both in Fairfield County, CT) is to take local roads into NY state, get on I-684, which crosses back into CT and once again into NY, to I-84 back into CT yet again.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

DJ Particle

Angle Inlet, MN.... to almost anywhere else in MN.

Forget having to leave the state...you have to leave the COUNTRY....   :-D

CNGL-Leudimin

My all-time favorite: Pozuel de Ariza to Undues de Lerda, both in Zaragoza province, Aragon, Spain. The route suggested by Mr. Google only touches Aragon for a tiny fraction of it: At the start, at the end and in the middle coincidentally along the road that touches four communities in just 6 miles I mentioned in another thread. To make things even more interesting, the route includes an unpaved, pothole-filled road at the end.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

oscar

Quote from: DJ Particle on January 16, 2020, 03:03:52 AM
Angle Inlet, MN.... to almost anywhere else in MN.

Forget having to leave the state...you have to leave the COUNTRY....   :-D

Same for Hyder, Alaska.. Indeed, anywhere in southeast Alaska to Anchorage, Fairbanks, etc. will take you through British Columbia and the Yukon, unless you can take one of the auto ferries that occasionally cross the Gulf of Alaska (usually much slower than cutting through Canada)..
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jeffandnicole

Not a multi-out-of-state route, but quite often the quickest route per Google from my home in NJ to my workplace in Trenton is by taking I-95 to US 1 in PA.  I've taken it home on rare occasion, but never to the office unless I was already in PA (such as dropping off a friend at the airport).

GaryV

There are many routes from SW Ontario to points north and west that take you outside Ontario.

For example, from Windsor to Kenora takes you through 5 US states.

NWI_Irish96

These aren't really road trips but local trips:

When I lived in Jeffersonville, IN, taking 65->64 to the New Albany, IN downtown exit was a couple minutes faster than taking 65->265->64.

Now I live one block from the IL/IN line and if I'm going anywhere in town that is south of 45th St it's faster to go over to Wentworth Ave in Lansing to get there.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SteveG1988

Google's reccomended route for Montague NJ to Camden NJ is via PA, get over to US 209, down to PA33, down to US22, down to 476, over 76 to 676 and tada, you're in camden. Other route is entirely in new jersey and is 1 minute longer. 206-15-80-280-turnpike-73-295-676
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

tdindy88

Quote from: GaryV on January 16, 2020, 08:01:45 AM
There are many routes from SW Ontario to points north and west that take you outside Ontario.

For example, from Windsor to Kenora takes you through 5 US states.

Staying in Southwest Ontario itself, Windsor to Sarnia takes you through Michigan via I-94.

US 89

Getting to Daggett County, Utah from anywhere west of the Great Basin Divide or US 89 will take you through Wyoming.

Similarly, large areas of the Arizona Strip are usually accessed by going through Nevada and/or Utah depending on your exact origin and destination. If you're coming from Yuma, you might even pass through California on the way.

sprjus4

Google recommends a trip from US-58 east of South Hill, VA and I-85 to US-58 west of Hillsville, VA and I-77 to take I-85 into North Carolina to I-40 to US-52 to I-77 back into Virginia. Interstate highway vs. arterial US-58 across the state.

Salisbury, MD to Elkton, MD via Delaware and US-13 and DE-1 on the Eastern Shore vs. US-50, US-301, I-97, and I-95 to stay in Maryland. Much longer routing time and mileage wise.

hbelkins

Williamson to Charleston in West Virginia. The four-lane Corridor L (US 119) crosses into Kentucky twice. For that matter, the direct route from Williamson to Logan (the next county over) does the same.

Also, US 52 follows Corridor L north out of Williamson before splitting off, so a trip from Williamson to Huntington will also cross into Kentucky twice.

A colleague of mine who works in Paducah (and formerly worked in Madisonville as well) lives in Marion (Crittenden County). Sometimes he takes US 60, I-69/US 41, and I-64 to get to Frankfort through Indiana instead of staying in Kentucky and using the parkways.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on January 16, 2020, 12:38:05 PM
Getting to Daggett County, Utah from anywhere west of the Great Basin Divide or US 89 will take you through Wyoming.

Similarly, large areas of the Arizona Strip are usually accessed by going through Nevada and/or Utah depending on your exact origin and destination. If you're coming from Yuma, you might even pass through California on the way.

Most people even from Phoenix use I-15 when they visit the Arizona Strip.  That usually made my justification to use US 89A visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Parashant National Monument or even Pipe Springs even easier.  The Navajo Bridge versus the Virgin River Gorge is an interesting contrast in roadway types that both have some substantial beauty to them. 

frankenroad

Many commuters in the Cincinnati area who live in the Anderson Township area (Ohio) and points east routinely drive through Kentucky to get to downtown Cincinnati, via I-275 and I-471.  It is much faster and shorter than staying on the Ohio side of the river.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

doorknob60

Many people drive from SW Idaho to Northern Idaho (eg. Boise to Coeur d'Alene) by going through Oregon and Washington, I-84 to I-82 to US-395 to I-90. The most direct route is ID-55 to US-95, which is about 80 miles shorter (or go in between and take I-84 to US-95 but that's probably the lose-lose option in terms of time and distance), but Google Maps puts drive times of both right around 7 hours, and it seems to be a coin flip which one will show up if you search for directions. I always use ID-55 and US-95, but if I ever made the trip in winter I would strongly consider the freeways.

The only reasonable route between SE Idaho (eg. Idaho Falls) and Northern Idaho takes you through Montana, on I-15 and I-90. US-93 could be part of another reasonable route, but that would still take you through Montana.

The standard route driving from Pullman, WA to Clarkston, WA would take you through Idaho for a few miles down Lewiston hill and Lewiston itself. This is a somewhat common trip, I'd wager, because Clarkston has the only Costco in the region (not counting Spokane/CDA). Also probably commuters to WSU.

nexus73

US 195 south of Pullman dips into Idaho, so to get back to Washington means going out of state for a brief period.

US 199 is divided between Oregon and California.  To get from Curry County to inland southern Oregon means going out of state unless one wants to risk the BLM road between Agness and Merlin. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kphoger

In Mexico, a trip from Monterrey south towards Matehuala takes you first from Nuevo León into Coahuila, then back into Nuevo León again.  This is basically because the Sierra Madre is in the way of a more direct route.

Example:  Monterrey to San Rafael de Galeana.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

corco

Jordan Valley, Oregon residents use US 95 in Idaho to get to neighboring cities (and high school sports opponents) like Vale, Nyssa, and Ontario.. In fact "Ontario" is one of the control cities on 95 in Jordan Valley.

doorknob60

Quote from: corco on January 16, 2020, 04:04:45 PM
Jordan Valley, Oregon residents use US 95 in Idaho to get to neighboring cities (and high school sports opponents) like Vale, Nyssa, and Ontario.. In fact "Ontario" is one of the control cities on 95 in Jordan Valley.

Great example, the entire county (Malheur) is essentially split in two, with no paved connections between the two other than US-95 through Idaho. I believe Succor Creek Rd is passable, but it's not paved and US-95 will be far faster.

Also good example by nexus73, many times when visiting the Brookings area, we'd dip into California to take US-199 back to I-5.

nexus73

Watching the ODOT webcams in winter shows the snowy passes and then a gander at Basque Station will reveal sunny dry conditions.  Of course it is cold but it sure looks nice!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.