AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NS TCH104 Twinning Awarded  (Read 510 times)

ghYHZ

• Last Login: February 21, 2020, 04:26:00 PM
NS TCH104 Twinning Awarded
« on: February 01, 2020, 02:04:58 PM »

The Province of Nova Scotia has awarded the contract that will twin the 38 km section of Trans Canada Highway 104 between Sutherlands River and Antigonish to the Dexter Nova Alliance. Included is 28 km of twinning and 10 km of new divided highway.  And to sweeten the pot.....they also get a 20 year contract to maintain the new highway along with another 25 km of existing highway: the 104 from New Glasgow to Sutherlands River + the recently completed Antigonish Bypass.   

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/twinning-highways-antigonish-104-dexter-nova-alliance-1.5446635

And clearing and logging was started this winter with nearly the entire 38 km now cleared: 

Looking east....the new Exit 29 Interchange at Barneys River will be located at the top of the hill in the distance...

And looking west from the top of that hill:

Exit 29 is where the totally new 10 km section of divided highway leaves the existing alignments and heads east towards Antigonish.

The area around Exit 30 is cleared and a new overpass will be added to the right of the existing structure:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:10:44 PM by ghYHZ »

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 12:06:35 AM
Re: NS TCH104 Twinning Awarded
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 07:53:06 PM »

That's a heckuva project.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

deathtopumpkins

• Last Login: February 21, 2020, 10:49:05 AM
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »

I must admit I'm going to miss the bit of 104 that's being bypassed. Through that valley was a scenic little stretch that was welcome after several hours of fairly boring 4-lane highway.

cbeach40

• Last Login: February 21, 2020, 02:24:24 PM
    • The Ontario Highwayman
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 10:48:41 AM »

The Province of Nova Scotia has awarded the contract that will twin the 38 km section of Trans Canada Highway 104 between Sutherlands River and Antigonish to the Dexter Nova Alliance. Included is 28 km of twinning and 10 km of new divided highway.  And to sweeten the pot.....they also get a 20 year contract to maintain the new highway along with another 25 km of existing highway: the 104 from New Glasgow to Sutherlands River + the recently completed Antigonish Bypass.

That's not really sweetening the pot so to speak, it's a design/build/finance/operate/maintain contract. The contractor is taking on a good deal of liability with this, but at the same time will likely be making a pile of money from it long term. Meanwhile the road authority is getting a road sooner than later, but are losing some autonomy over it and over the long term paying more for it.

So yeah, there's benefits and drawbacks to both parties in this sort of arrangement.
Blah blah, opinions expressed are my own.

ghYHZ

• Last Login: February 21, 2020, 04:26:00 PM
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »

That's not really sweetening the pot so to speak, it's a design/build/finance/operate/maintain contract. The contractor is taking on a good deal of liability with this...….

Yes...but they are also getting an additional 25 km of highway thrown in to maintain that's already built.....with sections open for 7+ years now including New Glasgow to Sutherlands River and Phase I of the Antigonish Bypass along with Phase II that opened in '16. 

cbeach40

• Last Login: February 21, 2020, 02:24:24 PM
    • The Ontario Highwayman
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »

That's not really sweetening the pot so to speak, it's a design/build/finance/operate/maintain contract. The contractor is taking on a good deal of liability with this...….

Yes...but they are also getting an additional 25 km of highway thrown in to maintain that's already built.....with sections open for 7+ years now including New Glasgow to Sutherlands River and Phase I of the Antigonish Bypass along with Phase II that opened in '16. 

With 20 years to operate and maintain that section.

That sounds less to me like a nice incentive for the constructor and more like the road authority mortgaging an existing section of highway.
Blah blah, opinions expressed are my own.

Chris

• International road enthusiast

• Last Login: February 21, 2020, 12:46:46 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 02:47:36 PM »

This appears to be fairly common internationally, I've seen it used in various European countries as well, where a contractor (often a consortium) gets to operate a larger section of roadway than just the portion to be constructed. Perhaps they need some kind of minimum scale for it to be worthwhile? I can understand that it may be costly to maintain equipment for just the maintenance and operations of a 10 or 20 kilometer section of road and they need 50 or more kilometers for that to work out efficiently.

AsphaltPlanet

• Single Occupant Vehicle Commuter

• Last Login: February 21, 2020, 08:21:29 PM
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 02:54:24 PM »

Unrelated, but I strongly dislike the font that Nova Scotia uses for its mileage markers.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

• Single Occupant Vehicle Commuter

• Last Login: February 21, 2020, 08:21:29 PM
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 08:35:59 PM »

Also, I recorded a video of this section of Hwy 104 last summer:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.