News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2023, 12:31:37 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 02, 2023, 11:49:56 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 02, 2023, 05:34:05 PM
Is it me, or is the NFL flexing more games this year?

Next Sunday's Detroit @ Green Bay game was always shown as TBD for start time on the Packers' season schedule.

Mike

All games were shown like this. There was no schedule other than who was playing who and where.

The rest of the Packers' schedule had definite start times for all of the regular and pre season games.

Mike

thspfc

Quote from: Henry on January 03, 2023, 07:35:43 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 02, 2023, 10:49:24 AM
Quote from: Henry on January 02, 2023, 10:10:36 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on January 02, 2023, 12:51:10 AM
Because of the Steelers victory over the Ravens, if the Bengals defeat the Bills on Monday Night Football, the Bengals win the AFC North.  If the Bengals and the Bills end with the same record at the end of the season (with a possible Bengals victory over Buffalo) the Bengals would be the 2 seed.  Even more far-fetched, if the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals end up with the same record (say, 13-4), the Bengals would be the 1 seed.  Burrow and Company just need to first take care of business later tonight.

Aaron Rodgers and the Packers have come back from the dead and have positioned themselves in the driver's seat for the 7 seed in the NFC.  A win and they are in.
First off, I'm now regretting my bungled fork (pun intended) of Cincinnati; they look to be in even better shape for the playoffs than they were last season.

And second, I'll be rooting for the Vikings to beat the Packers in the season finale, in a rare instance of me cheering on another NFC North team. May as well do so, since the Bears are dead last...again.

The Vikings already played, well, kind of, the Packers yesterday. Are you cheering for them in a potential playoff matchup?
I'm hoping that the Lions beat the Packers, since that game may determine who gets the last playoff spot in the NFC. However, that also depends on the results of the Seahawks-Rams game, as Seattle will clinch by winning that game and the Packers losing. As long as Green Bay is out, I could live with it.

As for the Bills-Bengals game, it truly was a miracle that Hamlin survived a near-death experience on the field. It just goes to show how dangerous football really is, so prayers and well wishes go out to him, his family and the Bills. If I was the commissioner, I'd pause the season until a definitive result occurs with Hamlin, and maybe even have the Bengals win by forfeit, since they were leading at the time of the incident. But it was a good call to not let the game continue this week.
Disagree on the forfeit. You can't just finalize the game in the first quarter. If the game cannot be finished, it should be a no-contest (which would still favor Cincy much more than it would favor Buffalo, but not as much so as if it was a forfeit).

gonealookin

Quote from: webny99 on January 03, 2023, 07:40:54 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on January 03, 2023, 07:06:59 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 03, 2023, 06:59:48 PM
They could get creative and go ahead with the NFC WC round as scheduled but play BUF/CIN on that weekend, pushing the AFC playoffs back a week. Give the NFC their extra week off between the divisional and champ. rounds so the Super Bowl participants are both on equal rest.

1/14-15: NFC WC, BUF/CIN
1/21-22: NFC Div, AFC WC
1/28-29: AFC Div
2/5: AFC & NFC Champ
2/12: Super Bowl
That actually does not sound unreasonable for how to make the game up.

I agree, this could work. And if the Chiefs lose + Bills and Bengals win this weekend, Bills and Bengals would still be playing for a first round bye.

Another possibility is a slightly modified version with only the three AFC Wild Card games on 1/21-22 and all four divisional games on 1/28-29 (this would give the NFC #1 seed a double bye, but would provide a minimum of three games each weekend).

The television networks are pretty much committed to specific timeslots for the NFL's playoff games.  Yes I know the TV schedule isn't etched in stone and had to be changed when the league had to make up a whole week of games due to 9/11, but to scramble everything to make up a single game, I doubt it.  I think Buffalo and Cincinnati just wind up short one game each (there is ZERO chance the NFL would declare the Bengals the winner of last night's game based on the score after 9 minutes of play, or by forfeit) and there will be some reasonable agreement as to the AFC playoff seeding.  Kansas City beating the lowly Raiders and claiming the #1 seed in the AFC would help.  There really isn't that much difference between the #2 and #3 seeds in the conference, nor among the three wild cards that have to go on the road in the first week.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 03, 2023, 10:36:25 PM
Disagree on the forfeit. You can't just finalize the game in the first quarter. If the game cannot be finished, it should be a no-contest (which would still favor Cincy much more than it would favor Buffalo, but not as much so as if it was a forfeit).

Just so I'm clear here... a no-contest would mean the game does not count in the standings (the mathematical equivalent of a tie), while a forfeit would count as a Bengals win / Bills loss?

webny99

Quote from: gonealookin on January 03, 2023, 11:35:02 PM
The television networks are pretty much committed to specific timeslots for the NFL's playoff games.  Yes I know the TV schedule isn't etched in stone and had to be changed when the league had to make up a whole week of games due to 9/11, but to scramble everything to make up a single game, I doubt it.

Nothing would be scrambled except for what week the games are played. All the same games would still be played in the same time slots, just spread out over an extra week.

Quote from: gonealookin on January 03, 2023, 11:35:02 PM
Kansas City beating the lowly Raiders and claiming the #1 seed in the AFC would help.  There really isn't that much difference between the #2 and #3 seeds in the conference, nor among the three wild cards that have to go on the road in the first week.

In the event that the Bills and Bengals end up a game short, Kansas City beating the Raiders would sure help the Chiefs, but it wouldn't help the Bills at all, who would be at a disadvantage needing a Chiefs loss after being in control of the #1 seed entering last night.

I also disagree that there's not much difference between the #2 seed and the #3 seed. When there's a clear top-3 teams in the conference (as there is this year IMO), the #3 seed is at a disadvantage because they'd have to play two road games against the #1 and #2 seeds to get to the Super Bowl, and the #2 seed would get to host the Conference Championship in the event that the #1 seed loses (we saw this play out last year when the #1 seed Titans lost, and the Chiefs beat the Bills at home in that classic Divisional Round shootout to earn home field for the Championship). And this year in particular, the #3 seed will have a tough Wild Card matchup vs. either the Ravens or Chargers while the #2 seed will have a much less fearsome matchup vs. whoever squeaks in as the #7 seed.

jgb191

If they can't find a way to make up the game, I say Bills/Bengals Monday Night game goes down as a tie game in the standings.  Bills would be 12-3-1, and Bengals would be 11-4-1.  Who cares if the league loses just a little bit of money here; it's time we put people first over needless profits.  Think about Damar and his family first....the NFL needs to step up and spend how much money it takes to keep Damar alive and well and take care of his parents who are in severe emotional pain.  There are some things worth spending.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

jakeroot

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Hamlin would want his teammates to go out there and play the game. It would be oddly selfish of him to want anything less.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on January 04, 2023, 01:46:20 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Hamlin would want his teammates to go out there and play the game. It would be oddly selfish of him to want anything less.

I mean, he can want that all he wants, but that doesn't mean that's what's best for the team. If I saw one of my coworkers almost die doing the exact same thing I do on the job, I would probably be freaked out enough I'd take more than a week off work.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

On the other hand, teams have played after rough situations. Recall the 2007 Redskins played (against Buffalo) five days after Sean Taylor was murdered. I suppose it not being an on-field incident might be considered a difference.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 04, 2023, 07:37:16 AM
On the other hand, teams have played after rough situations. Recall the 2007 Redskins played (against Buffalo) five days after Sean Taylor was murdered. I suppose it not being an on-field incident might be considered a difference.

Both teams basically saw someone die on the field, so this is definitely a very different situation.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 04, 2023, 04:25:13 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 04, 2023, 01:46:20 AM

I mean, he can want that all he wants, but that doesn't mean that's what's best for the team. If I saw one of my coworkers almost die doing the exact same thing I do on the job, I would probably be freaked out enough I'd take more than a week off work.

No one is saying they need to replay the game immediately (and it shouldn't), but the show must go on eventually. American football is a brutal, savage sport, with a long history of debilitating injury. But what happened to Hamlin isn't the norm, at all, and I highly doubt any NFL players are going to walk away from the sport because of it.

JayhawkCO

Just as a data point, in the 2020/21 Euros, Denmark continued their match against Finland after their star, Christian Eriksen, had a heart attack on the field. Not saying that it should have been done the other night (and would actually argue against it), but there is precedence.

hbelkins

It's premature for anyone to be speculating on what happened to Hamlin. It could have been a football injury, it could have been related to causes other than anything that happened on the field ... who knows? Hank Gathers died from a previously undiagnosed heart condition.

The tackle he made did not appear to be anything out of the ordinary. But then again, Dale Earnhardt had survived worse-looking crashes prior to his fatal wreck.

There's been some controversy surrounding the incident here. For background, Google "Eric Deters." He's a retired lawyer from northern Kentucky -- he retired while suspended in both Ohio and Kentucky ahead of a likely disbarment -- who still owns a law firm, and an online media company called Bulldog Media. He's also a candidate for Kentucky governor. He came out with a claim Monday night that Hamlin had died, and not only refused to retract, but doubled down, even when members of Hamlin's family said he was still alive.

Deters is a wack job. He had no chance of winning the primary, but with his rush to scoop all other Cincinnati-area media, he's shot every toe off both feet and is now aiming as his own shins.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Dale Earnhardt also had his harness modified outside of spec.  The harness bottom snapped and his face smashed into the steering wheel.  A lot of the other drivers were doing similar things at the time, it was bound to go wrong eventually.

skluth

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 04, 2023, 08:22:26 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 04, 2023, 07:37:16 AM

Both teams basically saw someone die on the field, so this is definitely a very different situation.

My dad worked in a paper mill until he died (in 1978). Everyone in the mill knew my dad as he was an electrician for the entire mill and did troubleshooting on all the machines. I worked there one summer and saw just how popular my dad was at work. My father died at work. He had just finished the 3-11 shift and was showering when he collapsed from a heart attack. They didn't close the paper mill for the night shift even though several people saw him die and watched him being taken away by ambulance.

While I'm relieved they didn't try to finish the game Monday night, I don't see why teams can't play this weekend. It's difficult for those involved but that's life. Damar Hamlin is in a hospital, in an ICU, not dead, and hopefully he will come out of this without much loss. This isn't to say it's not going to affect the players should they play this weekend. I'm sure some will have trouble focusing on the game, especially the prep during the week. But they are also professionals. I would expect them to uphold that standard.

elsmere241

IIRC, the NFL brought back the bye week before the Super Bowl because of what happened in 2001.

thspfc

Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2023, 10:44:51 AM
It's premature for anyone to be speculating on what happened to Hamlin.
Too early even for cardiologists, who have come to a pretty uniform conclusion that it's commotio cordis?

ilpt4u

Quote from: thspfc on January 04, 2023, 04:16:10 PM
Too early even for cardiologists, who have come to a pretty uniform conclusion that it's commotio cordis?
The Columbia Cardiology Professor on ESPN yesterday was much more cautious trying to diagnose. Her main claim was that when Hamlin goes into cardiac arrest, immediate care with CPR and AEDs to get blood pumping to deliver oxygen to the body is of greatest importance to protect the other organs in the body, especially the brain, and then getting Hamlin to a Level 1 trauma center and let the Cardiologists and medical staff there treat the patient. Being an NFL game with team doctors and physical therapists/trainers onsite and an ambulance and EMTs onsite and UC Hospital only 2 miles away all were potentially life-saving Monday night

Even the UCLA Cardiology Professor on NFLN yesterday was pretty cautious about diagnosing a cause at this point

The how/why will (hopefully) be determined, but that is not the primary concern until Hamlin is stabilized

thspfc

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 04, 2023, 04:52:33 PM
The Columbia Cardiology Professor on ESPN yesterday was much more cautious trying to diagnose. Her main claim was that when Hamlin goes into cardiac arrest, immediate care with CPR and AEDs to get blood pumping to deliver oxygen to the body is of greatest importance to protect the other organs in the body, especially the brain, and then getting Hamlin to a Level 1 trauma center and let the Cardiologists and medical staff there treat the patient. Being an NFL game with team doctors and physical therapists/trainers onsite and an ambulance and EMTs onsite and UC Hospital only 2 miles away all were potentially life-saving Monday night

Even the UCLA Cardiology Professor on NFLN yesterday was pretty cautious about diagnosing a cause at this point

The how/why will (hopefully) be determined, but that is not the primary concern until Hamlin is stabilized
This isn't mutually exclusive. Immediate care is the most important thing, and that's what Hamlin got. That doesn't mean certified and credible doctors can't give their opinions on the situation.

And keep in mind that in the media there is an, in my opinion, overly stifling filter when it comes to what is acceptable to talk about in the context of a tragedy. I wonder if those cardiologists have likely causes in mind, but are afraid to talk about it because people will ridicule them for "speculation" .

roadman65

I see the media is confined to the parking lot. Well to be expected, as the hospital has other patients.

Anyway that was my first suggestion that doctors don't want to say anything not so much the press  will take out of context, but social media will.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on January 04, 2023, 06:13:40 PM

This isn't mutually exclusive. Immediate care is the most important thing, and that's what Hamlin got. That doesn't mean certified and credible doctors can't give their opinions on the situation.

And keep in mind that in the media there is an, in my opinion, overly stifling filter when it comes to what is acceptable to talk about in the context of a tragedy. I wonder if those cardiologists have likely causes in mind, but are afraid to talk about it because people will ridicule them for "speculation" .

If getting someone to a level 1 trauma center is critical, then you're in good shape at 29 of 30 NFL stadia.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hobsini2

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 04, 2023, 06:22:43 PM
Quote from: thspfc on January 04, 2023, 06:13:40 PM
Too early even for cardiologists, who have come to a pretty uniform conclusion that it’s commotio cordis?

This isn’t mutually exclusive. Immediate care is the most important thing, and that’s what Hamlin got. That doesn’t mean certified and credible doctors can’t give their opinions on the situation.

And keep in mind that in the media there is an, in my opinion, overly stifling filter when it comes to what is acceptable to talk about in the context of a tragedy. I wonder if those cardiologists have likely causes in mind, but are afraid to talk about it because people will ridicule them for “speculation”.

If getting someone to a level 1 trauma center is critical, then you're in good shape at 29 of 30 NFL stadia.
Just curious. What is the one outlier? Is it Green Bay?

Nevermind. I looked it up. Green Bay has 2 Level 2 TCs. Madison and Milwaukee are the only Level 1 TCs in the state.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ilpt4u

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 04, 2023, 06:47:27 PM
That would be the one that makes sense. Makes me wonder if a medivac chopper is on standby at Lambeau, if in fact Green Bay is the outlier

hbelkins

They haven't examined him.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hobsini2

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 04, 2023, 06:51:19 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on January 04, 2023, 06:47:27 PM
That would be the one that makes sense. Makes me wonder if a medivac chopper is on standby at Lambeau, if in fact Green Bay is the outlier
The interesting thing is that of the 3 hospitals in Green Bay, St Vincent (Downtown) and Aurora Baycare (I-43 & E Mason) are the only Level 2. The one closest to the stadium (St Mary's on W Shawano Ave) is unlisted on the level.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.