NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonealookin

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 04, 2023, 06:59:42 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on January 04, 2023, 06:51:19 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on January 04, 2023, 06:47:27 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 04, 2023, 06:22:43 PM
If getting someone to a level 1 trauma center is critical, then you're in good shape at 29 of 30 NFL stadia.
Just curious. What is the one outlier? Is it Green Bay?
That would be the one that makes sense. Makes me wonder if a medivac chopper is on standby at Lambeau, if in fact Green Bay is the outlier
The interesting thing is that of the 3 hospitals in Green Bay, St Vincent (Downtown) and Aurora Baycare (I-43 & E Mason) are the only Level 2. The one closest to the stadium (St Mary's on W Shawano Ave) is unlisted on the level.

It looks like there are only two Level I trauma centers in Wisconsin, in Milwaukee and Madison.  The Athletic has an article stating that the NFL's Emergency Action Plan, which was invoked on Monday, provides for a plan of transportation to either a Level I or Level II trauma center, so I would guess "No" on the medevac helicopter question.

Big John

The interesting thing is that of the 3 hospitals in Green Bay, St Vincent (Downtown) and Aurora Baycare (I-43 & E Mason) are the only Level 2. The one closest to the stadium (St Mary's on W Shawano Ave) is unlisted on the level.
St. vincent and St. Mary's are "sister" hospitals. There are actually 4 hospitals in Green Bay, the other one, Bellin, is the one affiliated with the Packers.

hobsini2

Quote from: Big John on January 04, 2023, 07:24:21 PM

St. vincent and St. Mary's are "sister" hospitals. There are actually 4 hospitals in Green Bay, the other one, Bellin, is the one affiliated with the Packers.
Where is Bellin in Green Bay? I didn't see it on the Wisconsin Trauma Map I was looking at.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

davewiecking

Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2023, 10:44:51 AM
Hank Gathers died from a previously undiagnosed heart condition.

For the record, Hank Gathers collapsed during an early-season game, missed some time, and was on medication at the time of his death (editing to clarify: which was during a conference tournament 3 months after his initial collapse). There was speculation that he was skipping days or wasn't taking his full dosage because of how he felt it made him feel during games.

hotdogPi

I'm not seeing any level 1 trauma centers near Gillette Stadium. Boston is a full 20 miles away.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Big John

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 04, 2023, 07:44:45 PM
Quote from: Big John on January 04, 2023, 07:24:21 PM

Where is Bellin in Green Bay? I didn't see it on the Wisconsin Trauma Map I was looking at.
Adjacent to St. Vincent.

Big John

Quote from: davewiecking on January 04, 2023, 08:20:45 PM

For the record, Hank Gathers collapsed during an early-season game, missed some time, and was on medication at the time of his death. There was speculation that he was skipping days or wasn't taking his full dosage because of how he felt it made him feel during games.
Actually during the conference tournament, which was then cancelled.

davewiecking

Quote from: Big John on January 04, 2023, 09:58:36 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on January 04, 2023, 08:20:45 PM

For the record, Hank Gathers collapsed during an early-season game, missed some time, and was on medication at the time of his death (editing to clarify: which was during the conference tournament 3 months after his initial collapse). There was speculation that he was skipping days or wasn't taking his full dosage because of how he felt it made him feel during games.
Actually during the conference tournament, which was then cancelled.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2023, 09:29:49 PM
I'm not seeing any level 1 trauma centers near Gillette Stadium. Boston is a full 20 miles away.

Per mass.gov, the closest is Steward in Brockton, although there are more options in Boston.

JayhawkCO

Reports are that Damar is alert and holding his family's hands. Great news.

hobsini2

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 05, 2023, 11:55:20 AM

Thanks for the update. That's wonderful news.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 05, 2023, 11:55:20 AM

Great news indeed.

Henry

I'm glad that Hamlin is going to be fine.

Looks like the final week of the season is going to be truncated, with no TNF or MNF games on tap. However, the fate of that Bills-Bengals matchup is still unknown, as is that if the playoffs, and I'm fearing that we may not know for several more days.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

There is a small part of me that wonders if Hamlin is going to be slightly peeved knowing his hit was in vain.

Also: how many people are now going to remember Hamlin for this and little else? Dedicating your life to a game, but mostly being remembered for a cardiac arrest...that's gotta suck.

Glad he's healing up and improving every day.

tdindy88

Quote from: Henry on January 05, 2023, 07:09:03 PM
I'm glad that Hamlin is going to be fine.

Looks like the final week of the season is going to be truncated, with no TNF or MNF games on tap. However, the fate of that Bills-Bengals matchup is still unknown, as is that if the playoffs, and I'm fearing that we may not know for several more days.

I don't think there's ever any Monday Night games on the last week, or Thursday Night games but who cares about those? As for the fate of the Bills-Bengals game, I believe they just cancelled it. There will be no game, they will both play their Week 18 game and then we'll see what happens. I guess there's some ideas about using the winning percentage to determine seeding among the top three times now. Not sure if any of that's confirmed.

webny99

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 03, 2023, 10:58:16 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 02, 2023, 10:28:37 PM
Whoever originally told the teams that they were going to restart the game in 5 minutes should be castrated with a broken beer bottle.

And hats off to Sean McDermott & Zac Taylor for taking matters into their own hands and, after briefly discussing, sending their teams back to the locker room and more-or-less deciding the postponement themselves. Great leadership by both to stand up to the league & advocate for their players, who they knew couldn't possibly be expected to continue playing as if nothing happened.

My perspective on this has shifted a bit after hearing comments from both coaches and hearing a former player's perspective (Mitchell Schwartz on the Athletic Football Podcast). Yes, it was an unprecedented situation but all anyone had to go on at the time was that after a major injury, the SOP is for players to take 5 minutes and then the game will resume. But it doesn't sound like there was any official directive from the NFL that play must resume, and at no point was it not a very fluid situation. Per McDermott, the NFL was in contact with the coaches and officials the whole time and gave the teams permission to go to their locker rooms. Discussions continued and McDermott was in contact with his players who decided they were not comfortable resuming the game. The Bengals captains came over to let the Bills captains know they felt the same way, this was communicated to the NFL which ultimately led to the postponement and then suspension of the game.

thspfc

Bills/Bengals has been officially cancelled.

Chiefs 31, Raiders 17
Jaguars 23, Titans 16
Steelers 19, Browns 13
Bengals 20, Ravens 14
Vikings 27, Bears 6
Patriots 24, Bills 20
Dolphins 18, Jets 12
Buccaneers 21, Falcons 20
Saints 34, Panthers 26
Texans 20, Colts 16
49ers 31, Cardinals 10
Cowboys 38, Commanders 10
Seahawks 30, Rams 23
Eagles 27, Giants 19
Chargers 20, Broncos 17
Packers 28, Lions 14

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on January 05, 2023, 09:23:26 PM

Chiefs 31, Raiders 17
Jaguars 23, Titans 16
Steelers 19, Browns 13
Bengals 20, Ravens 14
Vikings 27, Bears 23
Patriots 24, Bills 20
Dolphins 18, Jets 12
Saints 34, Panthers 26
Texans 20, Colts 16
49ers 31, Cardinals 10
Seahawks 30, Rams 23
Eagles 27, Giants 19
Chargers 20, Broncos 17
Packers 28, Lions 14

Fields is out so there's no way the Bears score 23.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 05, 2023, 09:29:19 PM

Chiefs 31, Raiders 17
Jaguars 23, Titans 16
Steelers 19, Browns 13
Bengals 20, Ravens 14
Vikings 27, Bears 23
Patriots 24, Bills 20
Dolphins 18, Jets 12
Saints 34, Panthers 26
Texans 20, Colts 16
49ers 31, Cardinals 10
Seahawks 30, Rams 23
Eagles 27, Giants 19
Chargers 20, Broncos 17
Packers 28, Lions 14

Fields is out so there's no way the Bears score 23.
Didn't know that, thank you.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on January 05, 2023, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 03, 2023, 10:58:16 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 02, 2023, 10:28:37 PM
Whoever originally told the teams that they were going to restart the game in 5 minutes should be castrated with a broken beer bottle.

And hats off to Sean McDermott & Zac Taylor for taking matters into their own hands and, after briefly discussing, sending their teams back to the locker room and more-or-less deciding the postponement themselves. Great leadership by both to stand up to the league & advocate for their players, who they knew couldn't possibly be expected to continue playing as if nothing happened.

My perspective on this has shifted a bit after hearing comments from both coaches and hearing a former player's perspective (Mitchell Schwartz on the Athletic Football Podcast). Yes, it was an unprecedented situation but all anyone had to go on at the time was that after a major injury, the SOP is for players to take 5 minutes and then the game will resume. But it doesn't sound like there was any official directive from the NFL that play must resume, and at no point was it not a very fluid situation. Per McDermott, the NFL was in contact with the coaches and officials the whole time and gave the teams permission to go to their locker rooms. Discussions continued and McDermott was in contact with his players who decided they were not comfortable resuming the game. The Bengals captains came over to let the Bills captains know they felt the same way, this was communicated to the NFL which ultimately led to the postponement and then suspension of the game.

A lot of people like to shit on the NFL, and rumors went flying about the 5 minute thing. Even the press claimed they based their story on other press that are well regarded sources of info. It apparently was just a big circus where no one really had first hand info. The press has been given a huge pass here because of the focus on Hamlin, but they really were sources of gossip, not actual facts, at the beginning of the situation.

webny99

And that officially crowns the Bengals as 2022 AFC North champions - certainly the strangest division clinch in NFL history but warranted in these circumstances. The NFL proposes that if the Ravens win Sunday and face a rematch with the Bengals in the Wild Card, a coin flip would determine which team would host.

The NFL also proposes a neutral site for the AFC Championship if it's between two teams that could have earned the #1 seed. The specific matchups for which this could occur will be determined by this week's games: https://www.nfl.com/news/week-17-buffalo-cincinnati-game-will-not-be-resumed-neutral-afc-championship-gam

jgb191

Quote from: webny99 on January 05, 2023, 10:44:18 PM
The NFL also proposes a neutral site for the AFC Championship if it's between two teams that could have earned the #1 seed. The specific matchups for which this could occur will be determined by this week's games: https://www.nfl.com/news/week-17-buffalo-cincinnati-game-will-not-be-resumed-neutral-afc-championship-gam

I think Cleveland Browns stadium would be an almost perfect location for the AFC Championship game as it looks to be about equally distant between Cincinnati and Buffalo....a perfect opportunity for fans of both teams to make that reasonable drive to Cleveland to see which team will advance to Super Bowl LVII.  And an NFL championship hasn't been played in Cleveland perhaps in my lifetime.

Chiefs 31, Raiders 17
Jaguars 23, Titans 16
Steelers 19, Browns 13
Bengals 20, Ravens 14
Vikings 27, Bears 6
Patriots 24, Bills 20
Dolphins 18, Jets 12
Saints 34, Panthers 26
Texans 20, Colts 16
49ers 31, Cardinals 10
Seahawks 30, Rams 23
Eagles 27, Giants 19
Chargers 20, Broncos 17
Packers 28, Lions 14

Hold on a sec....we have some Breaking News to share!  Someone has actually picked my Texans to win a game??!!!  That's never happened before!
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

ilpt4u

Quote from: jgb191 on January 06, 2023, 01:11:04 AM

I think Cleveland Browns stadium would be an almost perfect location for the AFC Championship game as it looks to be about equally distant between Cincinnati and Buffalo....a perfect opportunity for fans of both teams to make that reasonable drive to Cleveland to see which team will advance to Super Bowl LVII.  And an NFL championship hasn't been played in Cleveland perhaps in my lifetime.
Considering Kansas City has to be a participant, I would think Indianapolis (if Indoors) or Nashville (if Outdoors) are probably better candidates.

I doubt any of the Outdoor Great Lakes stadiums will be considered (Green Bay, Chicago, Cleveland), due to weather being a bigger wild card along the lakeshores. Middle of the country. Nashville is about the only one that fits the billing. Cincy maybe for a Chiefs/Bills game, but that introduces other weird questions

Indoor stadiums, Indy or Minneapolis probably makes the most sense, since these scenarios all involve KC vs either Cincy or Buffalo. MSP only makes sense if the Vikings are already eliminated by Championship Sunday

A 12-4 Bengals/12-4 Bills AFC Title Game would be in Cincinnati, as both teams played the same number of games, and the tie-breaker goes to Cincy, all the way down to Strength of Victory in the tie-breakers

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 06, 2023, 02:16:07 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on January 06, 2023, 01:11:04 AM

Considering Kansas City has to be a participant, I would think Indianapolis (if Indoors) or Nashville (if Outdoors) are probably better candidates.

I doubt any of the Outdoor Great Lakes stadiums will be considered (Green Bay, Chicago, Cleveland), due to weather being a bigger wild card along the lakeshores. Middle of the country. Nashville is about the only one that fits the billing. Cincy maybe for a Chiefs/Bills game, but that introduces other weird questions

Indoor stadiums, Indy or Minneapolis probably makes the most sense, since these scenarios all involve KC vs either Cincy or Buffalo. MSP only makes sense if the Vikings are already eliminated by Championship Sunday

Even with the potential participants all being outdoor teams, the NFL isn't going to pick an outdoor neutral site. My money is on Indy.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 06, 2023, 02:16:07 PM
A 12-4 Bengals/12-4 Bills AFC Title Game would be in Cincinnati, as both teams played the same number of games, and the tie-breaker goes to Cincy, all the way down to Strength of Victory in the tie-breakers

However, a 13-3 Bills / 12-4 Bengals AFC Championship would be in Buffalo, even despite the fact that the Bengals could have been 13-4 with the head-to-head win. But the NFL is not considering a neutral site in that scenario since both teams played the same number of games.

Overall, it seems that the feedback on this resolution has been the most negative from Bengals fans (at least from what I've seen). They're now guaranteed the AFC North title, but eliminated from contention for the #1 seed, and face an unusual scenario of not being guaranteed a home game if they meet the Ravens as a #3 seed / #6 seed matchup... not ideal, however, that overlooks the fact that they can eliminate that scenario by just beating the Ravens this week. If they do that, they could still have a rematch next week but the game would be in Cincinnati and the coin-flip scenario would not be in play.

(I also found this tweet by the Ravens rather (amusingly?) odd. I get that they would love a home playoff game and that gives them incentive to win this week, but why would you be rooting for a Chargers win here, which would guarantee you a lower seed? Wouldn't you rather get the #5 seed and an easier matchup against the Jaguars? That seems to me like a significantly better situation than relying on the coin toss to get home field and facing a road rematch with the Bengals if you lose the toss.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.