News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

I feel bad for Hurts, who has become one of my favorite players in the league this year, and Kelce, who will seemingly go out on a very bitter note having won only one of his final seven games as a pro.

But Eagles fans fully deserve every last bit of how the last month and a half has gone for them. The Cowboys' loss will remain more infamous because it was to a 7 seed, but Philly lost by more points to a worse team than who the Cowboys lost to.

tmoore952

Quote from: thspfc on January 16, 2024, 12:10:05 AM
I feel bad for Hurts, who has become one of my favorite players in the league this year, and Kelce, who will seemingly go out on a very bitter note having won only one of his final seven games as a pro.

But Eagles fans fully deserve every last bit of how the last month and a half has gone for them. The Cowboys' loss will remain more infamous because it was to a 7 seed, but Philly lost by more points to a worse team than who the Cowboys lost to.

Yes, all of us Eagles fans are evil.

epzik8

Does Jason Kelce's retirement mean the Eagles' championship window has closed?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 15, 2024, 10:06:59 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on January 15, 2024, 09:58:22 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 15, 2024, 09:20:16 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on January 15, 2024, 08:12:54 PM
C.J. Stroud revenge game in Baltimore next week???

I don't follow college football all that much. Was there some Ohio State/Maryland game of impact I'm not remembering?
No. The Ravens did however crush the Texans in Week 1 of this year.

25-9 is a crushing and worthy of a revenge game?

Yeah, usually the term "revenge game" refers to a player or coach going up against their former team, especially if the circumstances surrounding their departure were unfavorable. But I don't know of anything that Stroud would have against the Ravens in particular.

A rematch of a regular season game is usually just called... a rematch? Or redemption game? Or, if I were going to coin a term I don't think I've heard used before, maybe avenge game?

webny99

Quote from: epzik8 on January 16, 2024, 08:14:59 AM
Does Jason Kelce's retirement mean the Eagles' championship window has closed?

Not that on its own, but it may have closed just by virtue of their 2023 season being over. They definitely have a lot of questions to answer this offseason and their path to the Super Bowl will probably never be remotely close to as easy as the path they had last year.

I'm not sure what's more amusing, zero NFC East teams making the divisional playoffs or the fact that we could have a Bucs-Packers NFC title game (although I sure hope that doesn't happen and don't think it will, the possibility is hilarious).

Max Rockatansky

The Eagles don't even look like a playoff team next year.  The collapse they went through is pretty next level bad.

tmoore952

In all honesty, I am surprised they got back to SB contenders as quickly as they did after winning SB in 2017 season. Especially after getting rid of Pedersen. Five years between SBs is very fast for Eagles fans.

Not that it really matters -- but many of the Cowboys points late in their game were garbage time points with first team against second team players. Which only happened when the Cowboys were down 30+ points (when I turned on the game after doing something else, there were 6 minutes left and it was 48-16 Packers). So while the Cowboys margin of defeat was less, whether the Eagles or the Cowboys defeat was more thorough is debatable. At least the Cowboys showed some signs of life in their death throes.  The Eagles looked like they quit three weeks ago.

jgb191

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 15, 2024, 10:06:59 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on January 15, 2024, 09:58:22 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 15, 2024, 09:20:16 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on January 15, 2024, 08:12:54 PM
C.J. Stroud revenge game in Baltimore next week???

I don't follow college football all that much. Was there some Ohio State/Maryland game of impact I'm not remembering?
No. The Ravens did however crush the Texans in Week 1 of this year.

25-9 is a crushing and worthy of a revenge game?

I would hope the Texans are out for revenge from the first week.  Texans lost at Baltimore by 16 points the same margin as against Cleveland on Christmas.  C.J. is out to prove to the Ravens he's far better than back in September, when he was sacked six times in Week One.  The Texans are also tremendously better now than in September.

I predict the Texans will score more than double the points than they did in Week One; also predict the Ravens won't even make half that sacks this Saturday, and lastly I predict the final score's margin will be within one full score (<= 8 points either way).

My Houston Texans are also playing to remove themselves as the only NFL club to have never appeared in a conference championship game; with a win, the Texans would be the 32nd and final club to experience that.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

JayhawkCO

I still think we're using the word "revenge" far differently. If I play a game of one on one basketball against you, and I lose 11-7, I want to play again. I also want to win, like I always do. I don't need "revenge" against you.

But c'est la vie. Cheering for Houston this week.

hobsini2

Even though that's what the scoreboard says, the reality is the Cowboys last 2 touchdowns were in garbage time. That game was over by the end of the 3rd quarter. And I picked Tampa to win not because I think Tampa is any good but I thought the Eagles were a fraud and the freefall the last 6 weeks proves it.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

webny99

The Cowboys' loss will remain more infamous because it was to a 7 seed, but Philly lost by more points to a worse team than who the Cowboys lost to.

I absolutely agree that the Packers are better than the Bucs. They would probably be close to a touchdown favorite against the Bucs on a neutral field. But there is a bit more nuance to the points thing because the Eagles-Bucs game was considerably more competitive including being a one score game for most of the third quarter. I do give the Cowboys credit for continuing to put up points late in the game, but their win probability chart tells a story of a game that was basically over before halftime, while the Eagles had real chance deep into the second half.

74/171FAN

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2024, 08:52:05 AM
The Cowboys' loss will remain more infamous because it was to a 7 seed, but Philly lost by more points to a worse team than who the Cowboys lost to.

I absolutely agree that the Packers are better than the Bucs. They would probably be close to a touchdown favorite against the Bucs on a neutral field. But there is a bit more nuance to the points thing because the Eagles-Bucs game was considerably more competitive including being a one score game for most of the third quarter. I do give the Cowboys credit for continuing to put up points late in the game, but their win probability chart tells a story of a game that was basically over before halftime, while the Eagles had real chance deep into the second half.

Did you forget that the Bucs beat the Packers at home last month?  (https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401547598)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 17, 2024, 09:03:17 AM
Did you forget that the Bucs beat the Packers at home last month?  (https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401547598)

Don't have to remind me as I was there.
Packers D made Mayfield look like a first ballot hall of famer that day.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

webny99

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 17, 2024, 09:03:17 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2024, 08:52:05 AM

I actually did forget, but it is somewhat besides the point because they've been very different teams since then. The Packers have been on a tear on offense while the Bucs lost badly to the Saints, barely beat the floating Panthers, and caught the Eagles at a great time.

To look at it a different way, the Lions are 6.5 point favorites over the Bucs, and the Packers also beat the Lions pretty handily on Thanksgiving. It's certainly no guarantee that the Packers would win a rematch with the Bucs but I do think they are a better team with a better QB right now.

epzik8

Quote from: epzik8 on January 08, 2024, 10:52:22 AM
The pundits really want Bill Belichick or Jim Harbaugh to come to Washington...

Now they really want them to come to Atlanta, who has interviewed both of them.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Henry

Jerry Jones is giving Mike McCarthy one more chance, so the Cowboys are standing pat on the head coaching front, despite losing at home to the Packers in the Wild-Card round.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Henry on January 17, 2024, 10:35:37 PM
Jerry Jones is giving Mike McCarthy one more chance, so the Cowboys are standing pat on the head coaching front, despite losing at home to the Packers in the Wild-Card round.

Cool. At least we know who won't be winning the Superbowl in 2025.

Ted$8roadFan

GM Jones wins again. He clearly values loyalty to his people over winning.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 18, 2024, 08:34:17 AM
GM Jones wins again. He clearly values loyalty to his people over winning.

I dunno, if there was ever a time to make a coaching change it was now.

vegas1962

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 15, 2024, 01:59:59 PM
I'm amused that at the end of the day the bad call that gave Cowboys the win over the Lions really meant nothing.

You mean, it really meant nothing to the Cowboys. But by comparison, it was quite meaningful to the Lions. Yes, it basically locked them into the #3 NFC seed, but it also reinforced the notion that they should expect no favors from the refs and reaffirmed their resolve. It also helped the Lions to avoid facing the Packers in the wild card round (remember how the Pack trashed the Lions on Thanksgiving much like they did to the Cowboys). If the Lions are to face Green Bay for a third time this year, they want it at home for the NFC Championship.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 16, 2024, 11:16:29 AM
The Eagles don't even look like a playoff team next year.  The collapse they went through is pretty next level bad.

Lions karma at work. The consensus seems to be that the Eagles' collapse began when Sirianni took the defensive play calling away from DC Sean Desai and gave it to good ol' Matt Patricia, the former Lions head coach (and insufferably smug SOB when he was here). Patricia once again proved that he's nothing without Belichick.

SectorZ

Quote from: vegas1962 on January 18, 2024, 03:59:21 PM
I'm amused that at the end of the day the bad call that gave Cowboys the win over the Lions really meant nothing.

You mean, it really meant nothing to the Cowboys. But by comparison, it was quite meaningful to the Lions. Yes, it basically locked them into the #3 NFC seed, but it also reinforced the notion that they should expect no favors from the refs and reaffirmed their resolve. It also helped the Lions to avoid facing the Packers in the wild card round (remember how the Pack trashed the Lions on Thanksgiving much like they did to the Cowboys). If the Lions are to face Green Bay for a third time this year, they want it at home for the NFC Championship.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 16, 2024, 11:16:29 AM

Lions karma at work. The consensus seems to be that the Eagles' collapse began when Sirianni took the defensive play calling away from DC Sean Desai and gave it to good ol' Matt Patricia, the former Lions head coach (and insufferably smug SOB when he was here). Patricia once again proved that he's nothing without Belichick.

2022 proved that Patricia is nothing even with Belichick by now.

I can only imagine what guys like Jason Kelce, around for the Super Bowl win over the Pats in Patricia's last game as Pats DC, thought when he was promoted to calling plays.

jgb191

Entering this Saturday, Lamar Jackson and C.J. Stoud are both tied with each other at one playoff win apiece in their respective individual careers.  Lamar is also trying to advance to his first ever AFC conference championship, and also are the Texans franchise the only team left in the NFL that has never played in a conference championship game.

I predict the Texans offense, defense, and special teams to combine for at least 21 points on Saturday -- will that be enough to overcome the Ravens?  Will Lamar win his second playoff game of his career or will C.J. win his second?  Will the Texans become the 32nd and final franchise to advance to their first ever conference championship game or will it be Lamar playing in his first?  Stay tuned sports fans!

tmoore952

I know you mean this as far as the Lions and Cowboys are concerned, given what ultimately happened in the playoffs.

At the time that call happened, though, it changed the "destiny controllers" of the NFC East from the Eagles to the Cowboys. It could have meant something, had the Eagles won out in what remained of the regular season. But given the Eagles general collapse, it is a non-factor there as well.

tmoore952

My general rule, when I do not have a horse in the game, is to root for teams I have not seen personally win it all before. Although in this case, everyone else hasn't either, at least in Super Bowl era, and I'm not counting the AFL.

And so for the NFL, that means I am rooting for the Texans, Bills, and Lions.

Houston has never been in a Super Bowl much less won one, that includes all the years (30 or so in SB era?) that the Oilers were there.
Bills should have won SB 25 (I won't go into that any more, we all know what happened there).
Lions have never been to SB either.

I doubt any of them will get there, but we will see.

jgb191

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 19, 2024, 02:02:51 PM
Houston has never been in a Super Bowl much less won one, that includes all the years (30 or so in SB era?) that the Oilers were there.

Didn't the Oilers go to the Super Bowl back in the 1999 season when they were the Tennessee Oilers I believe (before the name-change to the Titans)?  Wasn't that when the Dyson/Wycheck pulled off the "Music City Miracle" to win the AFC championship against Buffalo or something like that?

And what I was told was that by the time the Texans concluded their inaugural season in 2002, just about every NFL franchise (if not all 31 of them) had appeared in a conference championship.  By your general rule, the team you'd be rooting for would be the Texans since (as I mentioned above) they're the only team left in the NFL that never even won a divisional playoff round.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.