News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Poor signal setups

Started by fillup420, March 08, 2020, 10:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: kphoger on October 09, 2020, 03:57:22 PM
Protected-only left turn with an option lane.  Is this common?

Gainesville, TX

If that pickup is turning left and you're behind it wanting to go straight... well, sucks to be you!

I have encountered a protected right turn on an option lane.  (I swear I was going west, but maybe this really is the one I was thinking of.)  I wanted to go straight, and I have a lane to go straight.  I felt sorry if someone behind me wanted to turn, but they should have set up the intersection better.  Google Street View.

(Bonus points, Ancient, faded button copy.  Since replaced.)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on October 09, 2020, 11:21:51 PM

Gainesville, TX

If that pickup is turning left and you're behind it wanting to go straight... well, sucks to be you!

I have encountered a protected right turn on an option lane.  (I swear I was going west, but maybe this really is the one I was thinking of.)  I wanted to go straight, and I have a lane to go straight.  I felt sorry if someone behind me wanted to turn, but they should have set up the intersection better.  Google Street View.

NJ has done this on occasion in the past, although it appears they are phasing it out.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on October 09, 2020, 05:43:11 PM
Quote from: index on October 09, 2020, 05:14:41 PM
Depending on how low you're sitting in your car, or how low your car is, you can't see the traffic coming over this hill, which, you know, you need to do with an FYA.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1933757,-80.767316,3a,19.1y,38.26h,90.99t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQjAOED-P8R4UXTmf2mLHmQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQjAOED-P8R4UXTmf2mLHmQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D222.78929%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I'm all for FYAs, but this seems like one situation where permitted lefts might not be a good idea. But maybe it's okay depending on volumes and speed limit  :hmmm:

That is nothing compared to the numerous permissive lefts in Tacoma, WA, along some of the downhill slopes. Your visibility is "scoot really far forward, roll down your windows, and listen".

jakeroot

Gainesville, TX

There was one in Richland, WA for a long time. 5-section side-by-side signal (clean setup overall). It's now a slip lane with an FYA.

HTM Duke

Gainesville, TX

That brings up a memory of the intersection of VA-120/S Glebe Rd, W Glebe Rd, and Four Mile Run Dr in Arlington County, VA:
https://goo.gl/maps/Z3thzpHWsTGSksJU6

List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

jakeroot

Quote from: HTM Duke on October 10, 2020, 12:43:27 AM

Gainesville, TX

That brings up a memory of the intersection of VA-120/S Glebe Rd, W Glebe Rd, and Four Mile Run Dr in Arlington County, VA:
https://goo.gl/maps/Z3thzpHWsTGSksJU6

Haha I know that one very well. When I'm in VA, I live about a mile from there. That is a very odd intersection south of the freeway. It seems like drivers are good about scooting over and/or not using that lane to continue along S Glebe, keeping that other lane free.

It's definitely one of those intersections where the movement is very popular (to go over the bridge), but a dedicated lane was never built. Still, a signal to keep traffic flowing when possible is a smart idea, when the northbound movement is green (allowing southbound traffic to proceed at the same time).

jay8g

Seattle has at least two intersections with protected-only left turns with no turn lane at all:
Harvard Ave E and E Roanoke St
23rd Ave E and E John St

The second example is particularly strange since there's really just one wide lane leading up to the signal (though the stop bar is split despite the lack of a lane line). If there's a bus or truck that missed the phase to turn left onto 23rd, it would be fairly difficult to get around to go straight!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.