The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2020, 06:52:52 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 09, 2020, 06:22:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2020, 06:07:54 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 09, 2020, 05:54:40 PM
The Ivy League has cancelled all Fall 2020 sports.

The Big Ten (+4) has announced that they will play only conference contests for all Fall 2020 sports, including football.

Might as well cancel the whole thing then, that's lame playing a high school schedule. 

But those games are extremely important for anyone wanting to make a pro team.

I get that but it still makes for a beyond butchered season.  The MLB was bad enough with the 60 game season and universal DH, but at least they are letting the teams have a crack at everyone.  Those non-conference games in the Power Five conferences were often among the best of the College Football season.  I might be more a mind to find the situation more agreeable if all the conferences do something like a round robin and then do a four team playoff anyway. 

At this point, I think sports leagues are trying to give fans the most that they can do safely. I've lost track of how many evenings since April I wish I had a White Sox game to watch but didn't. If conference games is the most we can get on Saturdays in the Fall, then that's what I'll settle for and it's far better than nothing, though I don't know how my Irish fill their schedule if all the conferences play only conference games. Best of 9 against BYU I guess.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tdindy88

Supposedly the Irish might play an ACC schedule this coming year, with some even considering letting Notre Dame BE an ACC team at least for the season. In any case the ACC is opening the door for them if that comes to be.

And while the loss of non-conference games may be frustrating I don't think anyone's gonna really miss the Citadel playing SEC schools. The non-conference games were some of the best games (good bye Wisconsin-Notre Dame) but they were also some of the most boring as well.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 09, 2020, 07:20:15 PM
Supposedly the Irish might play an ACC schedule this coming year, with some even considering letting Notre Dame BE an ACC team at least for the season. In any case the ACC is opening the door for them if that comes to be.

And while the loss of non-conference games may be frustrating I don't think anyone's gonna really miss the Citadel playing SEC schools. The non-conference games were some of the best games (good bye Wisconsin-Notre Dame) but they were also some of the most boring as well.

Really at this point this might be a good time to pair down whatever Division 1 is called these days to 80-100 schools.  Really it would be nice if there was six conferences based off geography with sixteen teams each.  Do a conference championship game and six team playoff. 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on July 09, 2020, 12:41:35 PM
Dale Jr. led a crew to work on the facility to map it for the e-racing event that "happened" there. I'm not sure what they did, or what repairs would be required to the racing facilities or the amenities (grandstands, etc.). I'm not even sure who owns it anymore, but I know they stressed during the broadcast that it's still private property and visitors aren't welcome.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNAyO19oIz0

ixnay

Quote from: jakeroot on July 09, 2020, 12:11:51 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 08, 2020, 10:28:39 PM
The wallup in Puyallup is cancelled this year

https://www.thefair.com/covid-19-statement/

The 'wallup' is the big car sales event that Puyallup used to have (may still have?). The fair being a separate thing. I suspect the wallup may still happen, given what happened to car sales overall.

What's a "wallup"?  Is that PNW/Puget Sound slang?

ixnay

ftballfan

New Mexico is moving HS football season to start in February. It can be done there as NM isn't really a cold weather state. Any of the Northeast and Midwest states would struggle to pull off a spring football season as some areas see snow well into April

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ftballfan on July 10, 2020, 11:41:29 AM
New Mexico is moving HS football season to start in February. It can be done there as NM isn't really a cold weather state. Any of the Northeast and Midwest states would struggle to pull off a spring football season as some areas see snow well into April

Not cold weather you say?  All my years working in southern New Mexico would beg to differ there.  The weather in the major cities isn't as far different from a typical winter than one might expect.  Snowy days are fairly common in all of New Mexico during the winter.  Most of the Chihuahuan Desert lies over 4,000 feet above sea level. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 10, 2020, 11:44:52 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on July 10, 2020, 11:41:29 AM

Not cold weather you say?  All my years working in southern New Mexico would beg to differ there.  The weather in the major cities isn't as far different from a typical winter than one might expect.  Snowy days are fairly common in all of New Mexico during the winter.  Most of the Chihuahuan Desert lies over 4,000 feet above sea level. 

Temperatures in Carlsbad and Las Cruces in February are comparable to Northern Indiana in mid-October to mid-November. Shouldn't be a problem for football.

kphoger

I've been snowed on in Carlsbad in March.  The locals couldn't stop apologizing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on July 10, 2020, 12:23:27 PM
I've been snowed on in Carlsbad in March.  The locals couldn't stop apologizing.

I had HS football games with 6+ inches of snow on the ground and games with < 20 degree temps at kickoff, but they weren't common.

Max Rockatansky

I was snow bound once west of Las Cruces for a couple hours while on a work trip.  While I wouldn't call New Mexico "cold"  per se it definitely isn't the heat filled desert it is often portrayed to be.  I found summer months to be downright comfortable weather wise, way more so than the Sonoran Desert to the west. 

jakeroot

Quote from: ixnay on July 10, 2020, 09:45:52 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 09, 2020, 12:11:51 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 08, 2020, 10:28:39 PM
The wallup in Puyallup is cancelled this year

https://www.thefair.com/covid-19-statement/

The 'wallup' is the big car sales event that Puyallup used to have (may still have?). The fair being a separate thing. I suspect the wallup may still happen, given what happened to car sales overall.

What's a "wallup"?  Is that PNW/Puget Sound slang?

I think it originated as a play on the city name, "Puyallup". It's just an annual car sales event that happens at the Puyallup Fair (Washington State Fair). When the fair is on, you "do the Puyallup". When it's the car sales even, you "do the wallup".

ftballfan

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 10, 2020, 12:24:52 PM

I had HS football games with 6+ inches of snow on the ground and games with < 20 degree temps at kickoff, but they weren't common.
In 2015, a big snowstorm hit Michigan on the Saturday of semifinal weekend. All but one game was played on schedule, even though some areas had a foot of snow on the ground. The remaining game (Coldwater vs. Chelsea) was played on Sunday afternoon, one of very few MHSAA postseason events to have ever been played on a Sunday

bing101

Takumi

F1 is officially canceling all scheduled races in the Americas this year, while adding three more European tracks to the schedule: the Nürburgring in Germany, the Algarve International Circuit (aka Portimao) in Portugal, and a third Italian race at Imola. Notably, the German and Imola races won't have their traditional titles (past Imola races were called the San Marino Grand Prix but this year will be called the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix, while the Ring went by several names, using none of them this time, but rather the Eifel Grand Prix). Supposedly the rights to the name German Grand Prix are still held by the organizers of the previous efforts at Hockenheim, which ruled itself out for a race this year yesterday.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/portimao-nurburgring-imola-american-races/4842750
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Well, many sports have started. Let's see if they can finish.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on July 24, 2020, 01:05:06 PMNotably, the German and Imola races won’t have their traditional titles (past Imola races were called the San Marino Grand Prix but this year will be called the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix, while the Ring went by several names, using none of them this time, but rather the Eifel Grand Prix).

Way back in the pre-championship era, they used to hold the GP race at the Nurburgring called the Eifelrennen, whereas Avus sometimes had the title of German Grand Prix or Avusrennen. The "National" GPs (or the so-called Grand Epreuves) were usually the big-money races with a better turnout.

I kind of like how all of these double races are kind of a nod to the pre-championship or non-championship races. Into the late-1970s, you might still have two races at Silverstone or Brands Hatch, and really any single-seater car could join in on non-championship races. A Pau GP was held in France for GP/F1-spec machinery until the 1960s. Enna-Pergusa, Vallelunga, or Monza hosted a non-champ race just so Ferrari could show off. There were several of these well into the 1960s, but as everything became a bit more professional and thus, expensive...Bernie Ecclestone's guidance shed a lot of these races, mostly relegating them to European F2 or F3 events. Some of the titles were ceremonially used for F3000 events, but they've also faded away as the years went on, where GP2 mostly races at the F1 tracks as support events.

Non-championship events were also "warm-up" events the year before a Grand Prix could be held, ostensibly to make sure that the organizers could maintain a safe race (or safe-enough given the dangers), properly following rules, track upkeep, and crowd control/access. This usually occurred when a "new" event or country was awarded a major Grand Prix (or after a long spell away); so Spain, Argentina, Brazil had to run non-championship events beforehand. Or it was applied as a method of track acclimatization; see Imola in 1979, since it was awarded the Italian GP for the following season, or Long Beach holding an F5000 event in 1975 prior to the F1 race...which was apparently good enough to make the FIA happy.

Now they just run the races first for F1 essentially for the first-ever-time and everything else can take a back seat. Maybe it's because of the massive entry prices just for getting Grade 1 Certification, let alone planning and building the darn thing, so I suppose that's how they want it.

bing101

ftballfan

Quote from: bing101 on July 27, 2020, 11:08:03 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/marlins-orioles-game-canceled-due-to-covid-19-outbreak-resulting-in-at-least-14-cases-per-reports/

the MLB is reporting that the Marlins vs. Orioles game is cancelled due to COVID-19 scare.

Depending on how it got into the Marlins, the team should face some kind of punishment, such as possible forfeiture of games. If a player or coach did something stupid (such as go to a crowded bar maskless), they should be fined heavily and/or face a lengthy suspension

hbelkins

Quote from: ftballfan on July 27, 2020, 05:06:15 PM
If a player or coach did something stupid (such as go to a crowded bar maskless), they should be fined heavily and/or face a lengthy suspension

Can't imagine that such would be possible due to the terms of a player's contract or terms of the MLBPA's bargaining agreement. I remember reading in "Ball Four" that there were different levels of fines on the team for drinking at the hotel bar vs. drinking elsewhere when on a road trip. Given that players have demanded more and more since that book was written in the late 1960s, I can't imagine the MLBPA acquiescing to limitations on personal behavior.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/marlins-orioles-game-canceled-due-to-covid-19-outbreak-resulting-in-at-least-14-cases-per-reports/

the MLB is reporting that the Marlins vs. Orioles game is cancelled due to COVID-19 scare.

Depending on how it got into the Marlins, the team should face some kind of punishment, such as possible forfeiture of games. If a player or coach did something stupid (such as go to a crowded bar maskless), they should be fined heavily and/or face a lengthy suspension
Only the individual who did something stupid should be punished, unless the team actively broke rules. I don't think they did. The disease is just that pervasive.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on July 28, 2020, 12:26:11 AM

Only the individual who did something stupid should be punished, unless the team actively broke rules. I don't think they did. The disease is just that pervasive.
I think causing this type of chaos is punishment enough. Really, I don't get why games are being canceled and rescheduled. Just make the guilty team forfeit them if they don't want to play. Nobody should get special treatment. It's not a whole lot different than if half the team caught mono in the middle of the season, which has happened before.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on July 28, 2020, 09:38:44 AM

I think causing this type of chaos is punishment enough. Really, I don't get why games are being canceled and rescheduled. Just make the guilty team forfeit them if they don't want to play. Nobody should get special treatment. It's not a whole lot different than if half the team caught mono in the middle of the season, which has happened before.

What happens when both teams have positive tests?

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on July 28, 2020, 09:38:44 AM

That would just encourage teams to continue playing even after they have the disease. We don't want that to happen.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.