AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Former names you use without meaning to  (Read 66022 times)

bing101

• Last Login: Today at 09:47:49 AM
Re: Former names you use without meaning to
« Reply #300 on: June 09, 2020, 04:33:11 PM »

Longs Drug Store which has its origins in the San Francisco area but somehow CVS Pharmacy managed to keep their Hawaii stores named as Longs Drugs

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/05/03/cvs-closing-dozens-stores-us-including-honolulu/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVS_Pharmacy

Although some of the CVS owned Longs Drugs' has been renamed as CVS in Hawaii in 2019 due to the battle with Walgreens.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: September 26, 2020, 03:45:11 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #301 on: June 09, 2020, 04:38:17 PM »

Our local Rite Aid converted (finally) to Walgreens a couple of months ago, but I still call them Rite Aid.

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: Today at 02:45:57 PM
« Reply #302 on: June 09, 2020, 07:47:15 PM »

I keep calling FedEx Office "Kinkos".  It's mostly an accident, and only partly because it's shorter.

I always called and still call it Kinko's, as the namesake was born in my old stomping grounds, Kent, OH.

Can you clarify? The founder of Kinko’s was born and raised in Los Angeles, and the first Kinko’s was opened next to the UC Santa Barbara campus.

That said, I still call it Kinko’s as well - FedEx Office just doesn’t flow off the tongue for me.

This confuses me too, since a plaque commemorating the world's first Kinko's was unveiled my first quarter at UCSB.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 10:51:40 AM
« Reply #303 on: June 09, 2020, 08:42:18 PM »

I keep calling FedEx Office "Kinkos".  It's mostly an accident, and only partly because it's shorter.

I always called and still call it Kinko's, as the namesake was born in my old stomping grounds, Kent, OH.

Can you clarify? The founder of Kinko’s was born and raised in Los Angeles, and the first Kinko’s was opened next to the UC Santa Barbara campus.

That said, I still call it Kinko’s as well - FedEx Office just doesn’t flow off the tongue for me.

Mea culpa.  I guess I was still a gullible college student back then.  I thought it was founded there since they had the main store by Kent State, and then they had a corporate building of some sort on the west edge of town.

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: September 26, 2020, 02:20:17 AM
« Reply #304 on: June 10, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »

Our local Rite Aid converted (finally) to Walgreens a couple of months ago, but I still call them Rite Aid.

Wonder how many people in Delaware and in Delaware County, PA still call Walgreens Happy Harry's.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Big John

• Last Login: September 26, 2020, 05:21:50 PM
« Reply #305 on: June 10, 2020, 10:25:48 PM »

There are only 1-2 Red Owls left.  One being on 9th St. and 12th Ave. in Green Bay.

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 10:08:49 AM
« Reply #306 on: June 10, 2020, 10:57:28 PM »

I never hear Rite Aid called Perry Drugs or CVS called Arbor Drugs.

catch22

• Last Login: September 25, 2020, 08:45:50 PM
« Reply #307 on: June 11, 2020, 08:20:09 AM »

The local Family Fare is sometimes referred to as Glen's (a fairly recent former name) or even Prevo's (what the name was before it became Glen's)
I remember Glen's when it was called the Red Owl.

Were all the Glen's called Red Owl?  I seem to remember Red Owl in the western part of the UP.
I can only speak for the ones in the Soo and St Ignace.  Not sure about the others.

Per Wikipedia on Glen's:
The chain expanded into the Upper Peninsula in 1986 by purchasing Red Owl locations in St. Ignace, Munising, Sault Ste. Marie, and Iron Mountain, along with a newly built store in Escanaba.

Glen's in the LP were not Red Owl.
Thanks for clarifying that.  I wasn't sure.

Sure do miss the Red Owl, though.

One Red Owl I recall was in Champion.  My family used to camp at Van Riper State Park back in the '60s, and the Red Owl was the closest grocery store. The building still exists in pretty much its original configuration, now a bait shop.  Not the largest store by any means but they seemed to have everything we needed.

https://goo.gl/maps/MrfCyYJvm8z3pSxB7

GaryV

• Last Login: Today at 07:10:15 AM
« Reply #308 on: June 11, 2020, 08:29:08 AM »

The local Family Fare is sometimes referred to as Glen's (a fairly recent former name) or even Prevo's (what the name was before it became Glen's)
I remember Glen's when it was called the Red Owl.

Were all the Glen's called Red Owl?  I seem to remember Red Owl in the western part of the UP.
I can only speak for the ones in the Soo and St Ignace.  Not sure about the others.

Per Wikipedia on Glen's:
The chain expanded into the Upper Peninsula in 1986 by purchasing Red Owl locations in St. Ignace, Munising, Sault Ste. Marie, and Iron Mountain, along with a newly built store in Escanaba.

Glen's in the LP were not Red Owl.
Thanks for clarifying that.  I wasn't sure.

Sure do miss the Red Owl, though.

One Red Owl I recall was in Champion.  My family used to camp at Van Riper State Park back in the '60s, and the Red Owl was the closest grocery store. The building still exists in pretty much its original configuration, now a bait shop.  Not the largest store by any means but they seemed to have everything we needed.

https://goo.gl/maps/MrfCyYJvm8z3pSxB7
We shopped at that store, must have been in 1990.  We were at family camp at Camp Michigamme, and we needed baby food for my youngest.  As I recall, they had about 2 choices of fruit and vegetables, maybe only 1 meat choice.

Was it maybe an IGA at that time?

bing101

• Last Login: Today at 09:47:49 AM
« Reply #309 on: June 11, 2020, 10:55:31 AM »

Marine World Parkway (Former alignment for CA-37) in Vallejo, CA due to some leftover signage from decades ago but thats been since renamed as Lewis Brown, Dr since 2007-2008. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_37

However CA-37 the current alignment in Vallejo, CA is currently known as the James Capoot Highway and Randy Bolt Highway officially by Caltrans.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:58:18 AM by bing101 »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.