News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Major Roads GSV hasn't covered yet (or where imagery is ancient)

Started by CoreySamson, March 30, 2020, 09:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

I noticed recently that US 59/270 in the Ozarks along the Arkansas-Oklahoma border from Rich Mountain to US 259 still does not have streetview, more than 13 years after streetview was introduced.

Are there any other major roads in the US without Streetview imagery like this?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Max Rockatansky

That really depends on what your definition of major is.  Something that really surprised me was that the GSV had almost none of the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway.  Worse Google Maps doesn't even identify much of Forest Route 10 as even existing. 

hotdogPi

US 165 between Gillett and DeWitt, AR.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Bickendan

Good thing you said 'Within the US'...

CoreySamson

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2020, 09:40:29 PM
That really depends on what your definition of major is.  Something that really surprised me was that the GSV had almost none of the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway.  Worse Google Maps doesn't even identify much of Forest Route 10 as even existing. 

I was thinking state highways and US highways, as well as some important local streets.

My Route Log
My Clinches

ozarkman417

Quote from: Bickendan on March 30, 2020, 09:49:33 PM
Exactly, for example you have almost all of German-Speaking Europe missing (urban areas seem to be an exception). Even in the areas you can view, some buildings are blurred, especially in urban areas. This is because they have strict privacy laws.

How about roads where the GSV content is, in relative terms, ancient? If the imagery date goes back to 2007-09, the image quality is so low that signs are illegible. This is the case throughout the less-traveled state highways in the Ozarks.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 30, 2020, 10:46:31 PM
Exactly, for example you have almost all of German-Speaking Europe missing (urban areas seem to be an exception). Even in the areas you can view, some buildings are blurred, especially in urban areas. This is because they have strict privacy laws.

And because of that there's nothing in Germany beyond the initial rollout.

Even though is not "within the US", I consider the first-order regional roads (or "orange" roads as I know them) in Spain to be semi-major. In that sense, until recently there was a section of such road in Aragon missing, which they have finally added in the last update.

Within the US, I remember for a long time the Westernmost reaches of North Carolina had no coverage at all, until 2016 or so.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Verlanka

China is also missing as well, then again they're more strict than Germany is regarding privacy.

How about roads where the GSV content is, in relative terms, ancient? If the imagery date goes back to 2007-09, the image quality is so low that signs are illegible. This is the case throughout the less-traveled state highways in the Ozarks.
Most of the back roads in the Midwest and West are like that.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Verlanka on March 31, 2020, 05:40:34 AM
China is also missing as well, then again they're more strict than Germany is regarding privacy.

The issue is less strict privacy laws, and more Google not playing nice with China. There are Chinese websites that offer streetview coverage of China, e.g. Baidu Maps, which is definitely not a clone of Google Maps ;-)
https://j.map.baidu.com/ff/Nfz (fun to explore, but the interface is entirely in Chinese)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

CoreySamson

I found another unmapped US route: US-6 between the Nebraska-Colorado border and the town of Imperial.

My Route Log
My Clinches

ctkatz

maybe not street view but google earth shows the ohio river bridges project early in construction.

Roadgeekteen

Can't think of the exact road, but lots of rural US highways in the west still have imagery from 2009.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MikieTimT

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 30, 2020, 09:35:34 PM
I noticed recently that US 59/270 in the Ozarks along the Arkansas-Oklahoma border from Rich Mountain to US 259 still does not have streetview, more than 13 years after streetview was introduced.

Are there any other major roads in the US without Streetview imagery like this?

That's a crying shame.  That's a gorgeous stretch of road too!  Especially when the leaves change.  By the way, those are the Ouachitas, not the Ozarks.  Have to go north of the Arkansas River to get to the Ozarks.  And no, the tri-peaks (Petit Jean Mtn., Mt. Nebo, and Magazine Mtn.) aren't in the Ozarks although they are in the Ozark National Forest.  The landforms are closer to the Ouachitas, despite the forest name.

andrepoiy

Here in Canada, in my local area, parking lots get Streetviewed...

Roadgeekteen

I'm taking a virtual roadtrip, and much of I-68 west has terrible quality, even though it's new. Probably something with the sun.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 09, 2020, 02:51:44 PM
I found another unmapped US route: US-6 between the Nebraska-Colorado border and the town of Imperial.

How in the world did that get missed!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Modoc County in NE California has some pretty ancient imagery in Alturas (CA-299/US-395, https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4945342,-120.5425915,3a,60y,296.35h,94.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3jzTBqojobwu8LGVoE3cyg!2e0!7i3328!8i1664). In fact, much of rural California/Oregon is poorly done.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CoreySamson

I did a bit of looking around the US on Streetview, and I found a couple more roads without imagery:

Several portions of state highways in south central Missouri: MO-19, 106, 72, 49, and 32 (Interestingly, the entire towns of Eminence and Bunker do not have any imagery at all!?)

US-2 between Glasgow and Saco in northern Montana

Also in Northern Montana, Montana 17, 232 and 233 are almost completely devoid of imagery

Several portions of state highways in New York's Finger Lakes region: NY 34, 26, 79, 41, 34B, 90 and even US 11 (The 79 one surprised me since it was so close to Ithaca)

NC 143 at the border with Tennessee

Most of AL 49 and 77 between Wadley and Lineville

My Route Log
My Clinches

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 03, 2020, 11:20:30 AM
Interestingly, the entire towns of Eminence and ...

Yet nearby E Highway was covered in 2016.  Weird.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

BridgesToIdealism

Let's not forget about the major bridges in NYC that don't have Street view.

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and George Washington Bridge have never had any street view except for the approaches.

Outerbridge Crossing has never had any street view and still doesn't.

Goethals Bridge never had street view for the longest time but now does with the new replacement bridge.

Bayonne Bridge originally had street view but for some reason it was removed when they started the Raise the Roadway project and has not been put back ever since.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

jmacswimmer

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on June 18, 2020, 09:31:48 AM

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and George Washington Bridge have never had any street view except for the approaches.

Goethals Bridge never had street view for the longest time but now does with the new replacement bridge.

Bayonne Bridge originally had street view but for some reason it was removed when they started the Raise the Roadway project and has not been put back ever since.

If I'm not mistaken, that has more to do with PANYNJ and MTAB&T prohibiting photography on those crossings than it does with Google not updating the streetview imagery.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

debragga

A 14 mile stretch of US-80 between Delhi, LA and a few miles west of Tallulah, LA, save for the part of LA-577 that overlays US-80 in Waverly.

Super Mateo

US 52 is still missing imagery in Williamson, WV.  It's only a couple of blocks from US 119 to Prichard Street, but I'm surprised they skipped it.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 18, 2020, 09:50:35 AM
Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on June 18, 2020, 09:31:48 AM

If I'm not mistaken, that has more to do with PANYNJ and MTAB&T prohibiting photography on those crossings than it does with Google not updating the streetview imagery.

They do have imagery under the G.W. Bridge which I would think be more useful for the theoretical terrorist than what could be seen from the very publicly accessible road and two walkways.

kphoger

Are terrorists so lazy they can't even be bothered to scope the bridge in person first?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.