News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Most iconic feature of each state

Started by Flint1979, April 11, 2020, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I don't think I have ever seen a thread like this. I think Michigan's most iconic feature is rather easy.

Max Rockatansky

Many people would probably say the Golden Gate Bridge or Big Sur for California, I say Yosemite Valley.  Arizona is the Grand Canyon by a significant margin.

NWI_Irish96

Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with the Notre Dame Golden Dome a close second.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

kevinb1994

Well if you wanna use something other than the Florida Citrus Tower or Disney World it would have to be the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 11, 2020, 11:34:54 PM
Well if you wanna use something other than the Florida Citrus Tower or Disney World it would have to be the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

7 Mile Bridge might have something to say about that.  Even the Southernmost Point Marker would be a strong contender.  Even something like the Everglades as a natural feature is far more defining of a feature.

gonealookin

There was a "Most Iconic Highways" thread not long ago.  For Nevada, it's The Strip.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on April 12, 2020, 12:15:29 AM
There was a "Most Iconic Highways" thread not long ago.  For Nevada, it's The Strip.

But a feature wouldn't necessarily be a highway...although it could be. 

jakeroot

As long as the feature doesn't have to represent the entire state (a problem with a divided state like Washington), I'm sure the Space Needle would be Washington's most iconic feature.

Geographically? Mt Rainier is on our licence plates, and it's visible from both the west and east sides of the state, so that might be a more fair nomination.

For roadgeeks, perhaps the Lake Washington floating bridges, or even the Hood Canal floating bridge. Second place, or perhaps even first, would certainly be the Narrows Bridge, given its history of not always staying put.

jmd41280

I would say the Liberty Bell for PA.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

mgk920

Lambeau Field for Wisconsin?

Mike

gonealookin

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 12:17:29 AM

Heh, I get the difference, just found it amusing that a road would serve as the obviously right answer here.  "As announcers our job is to tie it all together", as Vin Scully would say.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on April 12, 2020, 12:30:31 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 12:17:29 AM

Heh, I get the difference, just found it amusing that a road would serve as the obviously right answer here.  "As announcers our job is to tie it all together", as Vin Scully would say.

And the number two probably would be the Hoover Dam (which probably would be the case for Arizona also) which also is well renown old US Route alignment. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 11, 2020, 10:37:44 PM
Many people would probably say the Golden Gate Bridge or Big Sur for California, I say Yosemite Valley.  Arizona is the Grand Canyon by a significant margin.
I would also consider the Hollywood sign for California.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

gonealookin

Quote from: mgk920 on April 12, 2020, 12:27:37 AM
Lambeau Field for Wisconsin?

Mike

A few years ago on one of my baseball road trips I saw some Oakland A's games in Milwaukee, and with some of the time between games I drove up to Green Bay and did the Lambeau Field tour.  I loved that, I will never see a football game there but it was a terrific experience for a sports fan, and if you have the chance well worth the money.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 12:43:50 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 11, 2020, 10:37:44 PM
I would also consider the Hollywood sign for California.

That's more representative of Los Angeles and it's association with the entertainment industry. 

Roadgeekteen

I wonder what state has the least recognizable most iconic feature?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 12:49:52 AM

I'm drawing a blank on what would be good for Connecticut and I lived there for six years.  I can think of some stuff like the Merritt Parkway but nothing that really encompasses the whole state. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 12:55:05 AM

I'm drawing a blank on what would be good for Connecticut and I lived there for six years.  I can think of some stuff like the Merritt Parkway but nothing that really encompasses the whole state.
I looked up top attractions in Connecticut and got Mohegan Sun and the Mystic Seaport. Yeah... not much.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 12:56:32 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 12:55:05 AM

I looked up top attractions in Connecticut and got Mohegan Sun and the Mystic Seaport. Yeah... not much.

Mystic came to mind but just never really did it for me.  Most people I know associate it more with an average 1980s movie. 

US 89

For Utah I think you'd have to go with Delicate Arch

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.