Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

San Mateo County's Cancelled Freeways

(1/7) > >>

kernals12:
Take a good long look at this map. It shows the freeways that, in 1964, San Mateo County thought it would have by 1990.

The people who cram up 101 would have a whole other freeway, the Bay Front freeway, built on fill in San Francisco Bay. 3 Freeways traversing the Santa Cruz Mountains and another along the Pacific Coast, would open up the Western part of the county to development, providing relief to the current housing shortage.

So look at this, and then get very angry at the NIMBYs who killed it.

TheStranger:
Amusingly, the Hickey Boulevard extension to Hillside which did not exist at the time of this map...

...was built in 2003 as part of BART station construction in South San Francisco!  Albeit instead of being a direct link, Lawndale Boulevard connects El Camino Real to Hillside with a terminus two blocks south of Hickey.

SAMSUNG-SM-G930A

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on October 24, 2020, 09:21:57 PM ---Take a good long look at this map. It shows the freeways that, in 1964, San Mateo County thought it would have by 1990.

The people who cram up 101 would have a whole other freeway, the Bay Front freeway, built on fill in San Francisco Bay. 3 Freeways traversing the Santa Cruz Mountains and another along the Pacific Coast, would open up the Western part of the county to development, providing relief to the current housing shortage.

So look at this, and then get very angry at the NIMBYs who killed it.

--- End quote ---

Please donít start this anti-Bay thing again...  Youíre not hitting on any new ground and your opinions on the matter are toxic at best (and show why you hide your age on your user profile now).

Concrete Bob:
Thanks for sharing the planning map.  I am more than familiar with most of the proposed and subsequently cancelled freeways of the area.  However, I have never seen a planning map with the Southern Crossing at that alignment before (beginning at US 101 near Brisbane and heading due east).   

kkt:
San Francisco Bay is important to the region.  The moderate salinity in between the ocean and fresh water is a home to many marine species which in turn support birds.  I am glad that Bay was not shrunk even more by poorly though out fill projects.

The coastal strip from the Coast Range to the ocean is very scenic and not that great for building on.  Steep slopes on unstable hillsides, heavy rain as storm systems move in from the ocean, and a lot of foggy weather that most people would rather visit occassionally than live in.  On the whole, it's good that vast amounts of subdivisions were not built there.  Looking for more housing, I look instead at the square mile after square mile developed as single-family homes that are now all too expensive for middle class workers.  Too bad they didn't develop some areas as mid-rise apartments and other areas as single-family homes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version