News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Type of Interchange

Started by kernals12, October 24, 2020, 10:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Some Eastern European engineers have come up with a new type of interchange that's gotten a small amount of media attention. They call it the inside turning left interchange and involves having the main carriageways split apart creating an open square where the left turn ramps go.

They make great claims, saying that it can handle more traffic than even stack interchanges while requiring fewer grade separated bridges than any interchange design besides the cloverleaf making it less expensive. What do you guys think about it?

Revive 755

^ Looks somewhat similar to I-70 at I-170 in the St. Louis area but requiring more ROW. It would also have problems with left side exits, which a stack does not.

Maybe the eastern I-80/I-35/I-235 interchange in Des Moines prior to the last major modification (which put in the lanes going straight through between I-35 and I-235) would be a better comparison for how wide the median would have to get

kernals12

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 24, 2020, 10:51:29 PM
^ Looks somewhat similar to I-70 at I-170 in the St. Louis area but requiring more ROW. It would also have problems with left side exits, which a stack does not.

Maybe the eastern I-80/I-35/I-235 interchange in Des Moines prior to the last major modification (which put in the lanes going straight through between I-35 and I-235) would be a better comparison for how wide the median would have to get

There's a similar interchange between CT 9 and I-91 .

They have videos showing how such an interchange could fit in the existing area of current conventional interchanges. They claim it uses no more space than a cloverleaf and less space than a turbine.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kernals12

Quote from: vdeane on October 24, 2020, 11:29:39 PM
I-390/NY 390 and I-490 also does this.

I think this may be like the Diverging Diamond Interchange. Someone in one part of the world thinks up one type of interchange without knowing that that design has already been implemented unceremoniously in another part of the world.

jeffandnicole

Numerous issues:

Left exits are generally not favored.

At least in this example, there are only two thru lanes thru the interchange on each carriageway. Reducing throughput by even one lane generally creates congestion. Here, it's reduced by 2 lanes, which greatly reduces capacity, not increase it.

Also in this example, there is a significant amount of overpasses. Overpasses are extremely costly. For the most part the overpasses can be eliminated in favor of embankment, but even then there's still a need for 8 separate overpasses.

There are S curves approaching and leaving the interchange area. Whenever possible, it's better to place interchanges and the accel/decel lanes on straightaways.

kernals12

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2020, 02:26:42 AM
Numerous issues:

At least in this example, there are only two thru lanes thru the interchange on each carriageway. Reducing throughput by even one lane generally creates congestion. Here, it's reduced by 2 lanes, which greatly reduces capacity, not increase it.

Also in this example, there is a significant amount of overpasses. Overpasses are extremely costly. For the most part the overpasses can be eliminated in favor of embankment, but even then there's still a need for 8 separate overpasses.

There are S curves approaching and leaving the interchange area. Whenever possible, it's better to place interchanges and the accel/decel lanes on straightaways.

That's supposed to be one of the great advantages. It requires fewer overpasses than a comparable stack or turbine interchange.

skluth

This is the old Zoo Interchange in Milwaukee. It's quite similar with left on and off ramps in all directions. It was named for the nearby zoo, not because it was terrible with lots of weaving and accidents causing backups on both freeways with drivers turning into animals. They rebuilt it a few years back into an interchange that worked. Let's not repeat the mistakes of the past with an alleged new idea, like politicians or fashion designers.

froggie

kernals12

Quote from: froggie on October 25, 2020, 11:27:14 AM
It's not new.  It's effectively a directional interchange...

But it has much shorter left turn ramps.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kernals12 on October 25, 2020, 08:22:19 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2020, 02:26:42 AM
Numerous issues:

That's supposed to be one of the great advantages. It requires fewer overpasses than a comparable stack or turbine interchange.

But more than a cloverleaf.

froggie

Quote from: kernals12 on October 25, 2020, 11:29:25 AM

But it has much shorter left turn ramps.

Doesn't matter.  Fundamental design is still the same..."left-turning movements" have ramps on the left.

hotdogPi

Four overpasses: M25 at A1(M), also M25 at M20 if you ignore the minor roads
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kernals12

Quote from: skluth on October 25, 2020, 11:23:38 AM
This is the old Zoo Interchange in Milwaukee. It's quite similar with left on and off ramps in all directions. It was named for the nearby zoo, not because it was terrible with lots of weaving and accidents causing backups on both freeways with drivers turning into animals. They rebuilt it a few years back into an interchange that worked. Let's not repeat the mistakes of the past with an alleged new idea, like politicians or fashion designers.

I don't see where the weaving would occur

sprjus4

The junction between I-26 and I-40 outside Asheville, NC is similar, though has a couple missing movements due to proximity to other connections.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5544399,-82.6066082,1881m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1?hl=en

cpzilliacus

Junction of I-95 at MD-32 (Patuxent Freeway) in Columbia, Howard County, Maryland has some similarities.  Google Maps here

The point at which the left-side ramp from eastbound MD-32 to northbound I-95 merges on the left is problematic (I have seen several crashes here over the years).

The cloverleaf ramp from northbound I-95 to westbound MD-32 is quite sharp, (signed for 30 MPH) and there have been truck mishaps on that ramp more than once.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

DJStephens

The old Albuquerque Interchange of I-25 and 40 was built quite like this old Zoo interchange as well.  Built in the mid sixties, it became overloaded within two decades.  Lack of a Beltway meant all longer distance traffic needed to go through it, and it was under-built to begin with.   
   Exiting means one had to move over to the fast lane to exit, and then one enters the fast lane upon reaching their chosen route.  Not good design.   
   Not sure why Connecticut adopted the left hand exit/entrance mode to the extent that they did.   

skluth

Quote from: kernals12 on October 25, 2020, 01:19:12 PM

I don't see where the weaving would occur

It's the same problem as every other highway with left entrance/exit ramps compounded by the nearby interchanges within a mile in all four directions. There was a lot of traffic using the left entrance/exit ramps in combination with using those next interchanges. Others would be surprised by the left exits and rapidly cross to make their exits. Many were visitors going to the zoo, the state fairgrounds, and the nearby hospitals and unfamiliar with the area. I believe it was either the busiest or second-busiest (after the Marquette Interchange at I-43/I-94 downtown) interchange in Wisconsin. I know my relatives in Oak Creek and Waukesha hated it.

paulthemapguy

Either this interchange would need to be really expansive, or the grades on the inner ramps would need to be colossally steep.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

MCRoads

Quote from: kernals12 on October 25, 2020, 01:53:53 AM
Quote from: vdeane on October 24, 2020, 11:29:39 PM
I-390/NY 390 and I-490 also does this.

I think this may be like the Diverging Diamond Interchange. Someone in one part of the world thinks up one type of interchange without knowing that that design has already been implemented unceremoniously in another part of the world.
Except there is one small difference: the DDI was actually a good idea. This design has already been built numerous times, and almost all of them were replaced by interchanges that actually work. It is almost funny how bad this design is!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

GaryV

A similar interchange at I-96 and US-23 was rebuilt.  I don't recall if the old one had left exits/entrances for all 4 directions, but it had several.  The median of I-96 was so wide that there were houses in it.

kphoger

Quoted for emphasis.

All they did was spread the mainline lanes apart instead of keeping them together.  Other than that, it's the same beast.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

Another close one - I-37 / US-281 / I-35 junction in San Antonio, TX

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4391138,-98.4786416,923m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1

Has a few left exits and entrances, particularly due to I-37 / US-281 splitting, though has a few semi-directional ramps.

MCRoads

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2020, 10:17:38 AM

Quoted for emphasis.

All they did was spread the mainline lanes apart instead of keeping them together.  Other than that, it's the same beast.

My mom hated that interchange with a passion . Going from NB I-44 to WB I-44 was especially harrowing, as the mainline traffic was going 65-70, but ramp traffic is going around 40-45.

But my mom's absolutely most hated interchange was the I-35 and I-240. I don't blame her. The loop ramps are tiny, and I-240 traffic did not give 2 craps about people merging onto the freeway. Hell, I wasn't driving, and I was always afraid we would get rear-ended by a butthole exiting SB I-35 at 65. Thank god they are redoing that interchange, I won't miss it.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

BrianP

The interchange that came to mind for me is I-70/77 in Ohio which also does half of this proposal.  And looking at that existing interchange makes me believe that you would have to separate the carriageways by a significant amount more than that existing interchange to fit the ramps in the middle. Perhaps as much as doubling the distance between the carriageways would be necessary.  The image above looks nice but I think it's deceiving about the size of such an interchange.  I think it's just too big to actually make it worth while without even getting to the left exit issue. 

Also take into account that the advisory speed for one of the left exit ramps in the interchange I mentioned is only 45 mph.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.