AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Why can't people get this intersection right?  (Read 1980 times)

fwydriver405

• UMaine - Civil Engineering and MBB Student Asst.

• Last Login: Today at 06:29:25 PM
Re: Why can't people get this intersection right?
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2020, 12:19:27 AM »

Dude, you definitely honk on the horn way too long. I like to think that I'm not too shy about using the horn, but I've never, ever, laid on the horn for as many as five seconds like you did. I'm not surprised that that lady reacted the way she did.

Agreed on that part. Maybe a few quick taps on the horn would have been OK, but in my view, that long of a blast is just asking for trouble for something that could have been handled a lot differently. I'd imagine the driver in the minivan in the first clip would have reacted differently if your honk was less aggressive, let alone, not honk at all...

Especially if there was no-one behind me... as soon as I realised that some drivers were going to stop in that lane... I would have slowed down so I can see what my options were, maybe slow down to a safe stop, or if there was enough space, cautiously scooted over to the right to go around them.

When I was taught to drive... I was taught to be a sensible driver and try to reduce risk from other drivers to prevent incidents like that from happening... and also try not to use the horn/high beams aggressively... some things are not worth getting into like that in my view.

As far as the "single solid white line" law in IL... I had some difficulty finding an explicit law regarding lane lines, especially for white lines. The closest thing I could find is this from the 2020 IL drivers handbook on page 79 saying this:

Quote from: Illinois 2020 Rules of the Road, page 79
White Lane Lines
White lane lines separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction.
ē Broken white lines separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. A driver may only cross the line when changing lanes or turning.
ē Solid white lines separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. Crossing a solid white line requires special care and is discouraged.
ē Solid double white lines separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. Crossing a double solid white line is prohibited.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 07:41:46 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2020, 12:36:02 AM »

It would've been avoided by her just not stopping there in the first place like any normal driver would. The very first time I encountered that intersection I didn't stop at it. People also don't goof up the other intersection maybe about a mile away from that one. They also don't goof up the other one which is in the Chicago area, granted..I've only came across that one once.

But I'm telling you, people aren't "goofing up" by stopping in them. 99% of the time, they just need to turn left immediately afterwards, so they pull off to the hard left to allow traffic to pass on their right. Ever noticed how wide slip lanes are? Or sometimes, they just stop in the middle, like these two drivers (note they are both looking at traffic). Still, it's a very common thing. And if your default reaction is what we saw in the video...well, it's no wonder you get the cops called on you. Your reaction was needlessly aggressive. It's a wonder you haven't had your license revoked. Any other driver would have simply...you know...gone around. But no, you have clips to make! :-D

I find this whole thing rather ironic. Someone posting every little mistake drivers make on YouTube, yet refuses to admit any mistakes they also make. That's some bad karma, my friend. Maybe tone it down before you get yourself hurt by someone with nothing to lose.

That's not the case at that intersection, there isn't even anywhere to turn left until after the slip lane ends. My reaction was normal and that's what the cop said. There are just dumb drivers out there.
Bull. The police officer even acted appealed by your behavior. You are blind and I canít until you are tried in court for reckless driving. Maybe that will wake you up before you cause a major accident or worse.

No, he said that he had no issue with the honking of the horn. Watch the video again. I've never been at fault in  any accidents I've been in and I've been driving since the early '00s

Itís not exactly normal to have been in a bunch of accidents, you might want to get introspective on that line you just threw out.  But then again you strike me as arrogant as all hell, why would any of them be YOUR fault?

I've only been in three accidents and they are on my channel. Not my fault

here's one of them

Fixed that link for you, or at least put something more watchable on.

Crash_It

• Last Login: Today at 04:38:42 PM
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2020, 03:39:46 AM »

It would've been avoided by her just not stopping there in the first place like any normal driver would. The very first time I encountered that intersection I didn't stop at it. People also don't goof up the other intersection maybe about a mile away from that one. They also don't goof up the other one which is in the Chicago area, granted..I've only came across that one once.

But I'm telling you, people aren't "goofing up" by stopping in them. 99% of the time, they just need to turn left immediately afterwards, so they pull off to the hard left to allow traffic to pass on their right. Ever noticed how wide slip lanes are? Or sometimes, they just stop in the middle, like these two drivers (note they are both looking at traffic). Still, it's a very common thing. And if your default reaction is what we saw in the video...well, it's no wonder you get the cops called on you. Your reaction was needlessly aggressive. It's a wonder you haven't had your license revoked. Any other driver would have simply...you know...gone around. But no, you have clips to make! :-D

I find this whole thing rather ironic. Someone posting every little mistake drivers make on YouTube, yet refuses to admit any mistakes they also make. That's some bad karma, my friend. Maybe tone it down before you get yourself hurt by someone with nothing to lose.

That's not the case at that intersection, there isn't even anywhere to turn left until after the slip lane ends. My reaction was normal and that's what the cop said. There are just dumb drivers out there.
Bull. The police officer even acted appealed by your behavior. You are blind and I canít until you are tried in court for reckless driving. Maybe that will wake you up before you cause a major accident or worse.

No, he said that he had no issue with the honking of the horn. Watch the video again. I've never been at fault in  any accidents I've been in and I've been driving since the early '00s

Itís not exactly normal to have been in a bunch of accidents, you might want to get introspective on that line you just threw out.  But then again you strike me as arrogant as all hell, why would any of them be YOUR fault?

here's one of them

Fixed that link for you, or at least put something more watchable on.

Well , in that case I hope a distracted driver rear ends the shit out of you at a right turn at all times intersection where a stupid driver stopped since you think all of this is unwatchable.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2020, 09:17:36 AM »

^^^

Oh wow, wishing harm to others?  That temper of yours getting the better of you again?  What a shock, too bad you donít have a car horn to honk. 

But yes, I much prefer ten hours of a Rick Roll than having to watch another self-glorification video pertaining to your mountainous ego behind the wheel. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:31:06 AM by Max Rockatansky »

Crash_It

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2020, 10:29:31 AM »

^^^

Oh wow, wishing harm to others?  That temper of yours getting the better of you again?  What a shock, too bad you donít have a car horn to honk. 

But yes, I much prefer ten hours of a Rick Roll than having to watch another self-glorification video pertaining to your mountainous ego behind the wheel.

That video is none of the above. And i realize that I'm not a perfect driver. The fact is that everyone in my videos drives worse than I do.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 05:35:27 PM
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2020, 10:47:24 AM »

^^^

That video is none of the above. And i realize that I'm not a perfect driver. The fact is that everyone in my videos drives worse than I do.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
óOlaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"óKolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2020, 11:03:56 AM »

^^^

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Apparently ďfactsĒ are a subjective interpretation solely at the discretion of the OP.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 05:03:45 PM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2020, 12:17:28 PM »

i realize that I'm not a perfect driver. The fact is that everyone in my videos drives worse than I do.

Translation: "I am a more perfect driver than everybody else on the road."

Crash_It

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »

i realize that I'm not a perfect driver. The fact is that everyone in my videos drives worse than I do.

More like, "While, I am not perfect, I am better than the 39 other drivers shown in this video"

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 12:51:41 PM
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2020, 04:37:18 PM »

More like, "While, I am not perfect, I am better than the 39 other drivers shown in this video"
no youíre not

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 03:16:30 PM
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »

Do you ever do any science?  Maybe average driving for you is better than the worst driving of others WHO YOU HAPPENED TO FILM and put on your web page.  This is called a highly selective sample, and it is not the road to valid results.

jakeroot

• U/Wash | GIS & Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 07:49:46 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2020, 06:47:56 PM »

I've been in one over ten years, which was my fault as I misjudged a gap. I've avoided at least two others that would not have been my fault (both times someone coming up behind me too quickly) by using this one simple tactic:

Defense driving.

You do not drive defensively. You drive, to put it lightly, offensively: you are aggressive; you attack others; virtually no one agrees with your actions. You have now dealt with about 7+ pages of people telling you that you are wrong, and there's virtually no admission of any guilt to be found. How does that not worry? Are you really so dense that you honestly think the dozens of us here are the ones who are crazy?

For the record: 20 years of driving doesn't matter. What matters is your ability to judge situations and react appropriately. This usually comes with experience, but your videos are clear evidence of that not always being the case.
Check out my Flickr  |  Comments which I make here do not reflect positions of the University of Washington ("UW"), anyone employed by UW, nor any other students of UW. All comments are my own, and reflect my own ridiculous opinions.

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:31 PM
« Reply #87 on: Today at 09:57:25 AM »

And i realize that I'm not a perfect driver. The fact is that everyone in my videos drives worse than I do.

No, that fact is not proven by the videos.  Your video clips show a specific instance in which a driver made a bad judgment call.  Some or all of those people might very well be horrible drivers in general, but they also might be excellent drivers the other 99% of the time they're on the road, and you just happened to catch them during a bonehead move.  On the other hand, your videos show a pattern of aggressive and self-righteous behavior on the road by yourself.

Have you ever stopped to consider that hearing a long horn blast can scare a driver, distract a driver, make a driver do something even more dangerous than what you're reacting to?  If I hear a long horn blast nearby, my first reaction is to assume that either (a) someone is alerting me that I'm about to drive into imminent danger, or else (b) there's about to be crash near me.  I might step on the brakes (risking a rear-end collision), frantically look around (taking my eyes off the road), neglect to check the color of a stoplight (risking a T-bone collision), etc.  It's my opinion that your horn blasts are actually negatively affecting the safety of the roads rather than improving it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:31 PM
« Reply #88 on: Today at 10:02:14 AM »

Hence my comment in one of these threads that this guy is the FritzOwl of cammers.  The only reality that matters is the one built around a mountain of ego and self importance.

There's a major difference here: FritzOwl won't even try to defend himself. He'll just pretend that you didn't type anything critical of him.

On the other hand, I think he has yet to admit he was wrong about crossing a white line.  See below, and listen to the crickets.

The whole issue is she did cross a solid white line to begin with which is illegal in IL. If she never crossed the solid white, it never would've been an issue after her sitting in the thru lane.

I am unfamiliar with such a law in Illinois.  I also just went through the vehicle code (625 ILCS 5) to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything.  Please provide a reference to the Illinois law prohibiting the crossing of a solid white line.

What I do see is evidence that crossing a single solid white line is discouraged but not prohibited.  References shown below:

Quote from: MUTCD 2009 Edition, Chapter 3B
Section 3B.04 White Lane Line Pavement Markings and Warrants

20   Where crossing the lane line markings is discouraged, the lane line markings shall consist of a normal or wide solid white line.

30   Where crossing the lane line markings is prohibited, the lane line markings shall consist of a solid double white line (see Figure 3B-12).

Quote from: Illinois Supplement to the National Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, 2009 Edition
As noted in the preceding certification, the 2009 edition of the Illinois Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (IMUTCD) consists of the December 2009 national Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), including subsequent official revisions thereto, as amended by this Illinois Supplement to the MUTCD.

[...]

PART 3
Markings

(No revisions)

I'm surprised how long it took for someone to note that it is, in fact, not illegal to cross a solid white line. Discouraged, but not illegal. Discouraged seems to be legalese for "go ahead, but if you crash while doing it, you'll likely be at fault".

The closest thing I could find is this from the 2020 IL drivers handbook on page 79 saying this:

Quote from: Illinois 2020 Rules of the Road, page 79
White Lane Lines
White lane lines separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction.
ē Broken white lines separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. A driver may only cross the line when changing lanes or turning.
ē Solid white lines separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. Crossing a solid white line requires special care and is discouraged.
ē Solid double white lines separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. Crossing a double solid white line is prohibited.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

jakeroot

• U/Wash | GIS & Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 07:49:46 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #89 on: Today at 03:46:58 PM »

It seems that him making such a big deal about someone crossing a white line is pretty clear evidence that he actually has no clue about law in general. The meaning of a solid white line should be well understood by someone whose entire reason to exist on YouTube is to showcase drivers breaking laws.

It seems that his thing is making fun of those drivers who drive differently than him. He made up a law about not crossing solid white lines, and now everyone who does this is a "bad driver" and ends up in his video. In the same vein, he gets frustrated when drivers stop on a yellow light even if that yellow light has been lit for a very long time. I'm all for using every millisecond of a yellow, but someone simply stopping on yellow (minus those who slam on the brakes...that's frustrating, yes) is not something I would put in a video. Especially if that video would have shown me entering on red. But again, drivers who don't drive like him, even if they aren't breaking a law, end up in his videos. It's just ridiculous.
Check out my Flickr  |  Comments which I make here do not reflect positions of the University of Washington ("UW"), anyone employed by UW, nor any other students of UW. All comments are my own, and reflect my own ridiculous opinions.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #90 on: Today at 03:53:33 PM »

What Iím not getting is why post all this stuff here?  I donít think the majority of us are on this forum to partake in critiques about how people drive on a day to day basis.  Said Crash It Youtube Channel doesnít even have 1,000 subscribers and just a handful of videos that top 10,000 views.  Is this some sort of attempt to build the brand and get a wider viewership?  If so the OP would be far better served posted to Social Media platforms and their groups that have a wider reach on or more general interest themes.

renegade

• Change my mind.

• Last Login: Today at 06:05:59 PM
« Reply #91 on: Today at 05:52:41 PM »

What Iím not getting is why post all this stuff here?  I donít think the majority of us are on this forum to partake in critiques about how people drive on a day to day basis.  Said Crash It Youtube Channel doesnít even have 1,000 subscribers and just a handful of videos that top 10,000 views.  Is this some sort of attempt to build the brand and get a wider viewership?  If so the OP would be far better served posted to Social Media platforms and their groups that have a wider reach on or more general interest themes.
Yes.  OP is sucking for subscribers.  We should not be monetizing the OP.

The OP should move this bullshit to Insta and stay there.
Donít ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #92 on: Today at 06:56:44 PM »

Yes.  OP is sucking for subscribers.  We should not be monetizing the OP.

The OP should move this bullshit to Insta and stay there.

Thatís more or less the primary driver in why I stopped watching.  I didnít want to support the channel based off the comments and Iíll conceived retorts made here.  That said Iím not aware if there is any apparent way to tell as a viewer if a channel is monetized.  Iím thinking that it is monetized given how the OP conveniently tries to get people to watch other videos to prove his points. 
« Last Edit: Today at 06:59:46 PM by Max Rockatansky »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.