AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-495 and I-270 P3 Program  (Read 19928 times)

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: Today at 07:15:51 PM
Re: I-495 and I-270 P3 Program
« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2020, 09:49:39 AM »

The Navy wrote a strongly worded letter stating opposition to this project though the article really tried to enforce a narrative it is due to some form of activism on the Navyís part promoting mass transit which Iím calling bull on. This project is sorely needed so I hope it doesnít die or get scaled back. My guess is the Navy simply isnít keen on losing any property and thatís what it is about.

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2020/11/20/u-s-navy-strongly-opposed-to-capital-beltway-widening-project/

The Navy wrote a strongly worded letter stating opposition to this project...

Going back to the statement that started all of this, it appears that the Navy has a valid stakeholders position in this project.  The project will likely affect both NWSC Carderock and Naval Support Activity Center Bethesda.  I interviewed at NWSC Carderock just after college (didn't get the job, schucks!) and remembered parking in a lot adjacent to the Beltway.  Most of that parking lot is long gone, taken by the various widening projects.  At least there is still a treeline barrier between the front entrance and the highway.  I haven't seen plans, but it seems likely that all of those trees will need to go (and the NWSC may not even qualify for a noise barrier wall).

All that being said, the Beltway is in continuous need of widening since there are no viable alternative routes.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: Today at 05:07:07 PM
« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2021, 11:43:17 AM »

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jmacswimmer

• Last Login: Today at 10:10:22 AM
« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2021, 04:40:31 PM »

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

odditude

• Last Login: Today at 08:06:53 PM
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2021, 06:57:42 PM »

MDOT issued a press release earlier today selecting the development team:

https://495-270-p3.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/MDOT-Selects-Developer-for-American-Legion-Bridge-I-270-P3-2.18.2021.pdf

i find it interesting that I-495 is not mentioned once in the press release by number (only by reference as "from the American Legion Bridge to I-270").

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: Today at 05:07:07 PM
« Reply #254 on: February 19, 2021, 10:38:30 AM »

Washington Post: Maryland selects Transurban, Macquarie to develop toll lanes for Beltway, I-270

Maryland transportation officials announced Thursday that they have selected Australian toll road operator Transurban to develop high-occupancy toll lanes for the Capital Beltway and Interstate 270, potentially cementing the companyís dominance in the Washington region.

If Transurban and its partner, Australian investment bank Macquarie Capital, ultimately reach a 50-year deal with the state to build and operate the lanes, Transurban eventually would control 102 miles of express toll lanes around the nationís capital ó 37 in Maryland and 65 in Northern Virginia. Connecting high-occupancy toll (HOT) lanes in the two states would mark the beginnings of a regional network of express lanes in one of the most traffic-clogged areas of the country.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.