News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Census has released its population estimates for 2020

Started by kernals12, December 28, 2020, 01:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 27, 2021, 08:53:41 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 27, 2021, 08:46:10 AM
There were only two states that lost population between 2010 and 2020: Illinois and West Virginia

Mississippi is still a state
Is it really? The standard of living there makes it seem more like a territory or an independent country.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SP Cook

And as outlined in this map:

https://mcusercontent.com/d525ab9ade4d860d2b5772468/images/9f3dcfb4-c61e-4c65-9d39-2e7bb761e6ac.png

West Virginia is the only state to lose population 1950-2020.  Other states have grown fast and others slow, but only one state has less people today than 70 years ago.  When WV had SIX congressmen, or roughly 6/435ths of the population.

On to redistricting.  The drive by media superficially just reports that this or that state has gained or lost a congress seat and moves on.  Lot more to it than that.  Districts have to be redrawn every time, even if the state stays even, because they must be equal and population growth or decline is never equal all around the state.  For example, when the numbers are fully released, eastern Kentucky will have lost a lot, even though Kentucky did not lose a seat, and thus the eastern districts will have to get larger geographically, while the Cincy suburb district will be geographically smaller.  So on across the process.

Remember that every state (except the ones with one seat) will have to redistrict, and also redistrict state senates and state houses as well.  Pretty much the story, everywhere, will be less seats for rural areas and more for suburban ones.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 10:31:06 PM
15th, not bad, but I'm guessing that a lot of states passed us.

Is the top of the list "better"?

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 27, 2021, 02:05:33 AM
I just want to give a congratulations to Montana for finally crossing the one million mark.

Who said they're happy about it?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 12:14:29 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 10:31:06 PM
15th, not bad, but I'm guessing that a lot of states passed us.

Is the top of the list "better"?

Not according to the founding fathers!

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 12:14:29 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on April 27, 2021, 02:05:33 AM
I just want to give a congratulations to Montana for finally crossing the one million mark.

Who said they're happy about it?

They should be happy. They just doubled their number of US representatives.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2021, 09:46:31 AM
The standard of living there makes it seem more like a territory or an independent country.

What's your working definition of "standard of living"?  Are you comparing income to cost of living?  Mean, median?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 12:19:41 PM
The standard of living there makes it seem more like a territory or an independent country.

What's your working definition of "standard of living"?  Are you comparing income to cost of living?  Mean, median?

It's somewhat of a meme (possibly pre-Internet) that Mississippi is last in everything, such as education, health care, etc.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on April 27, 2021, 12:21:59 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 12:19:41 PM

It's somewhat of a meme (possibly pre-Internet) that Mississippi is last in everything, such as education, health care, etc.
I have a friend who worked in MS hospital for a few years. He mentioned that it was a regular conversation - are we still 50th in that rating? WHAT? We climbed to the  49 place? HOW???

kphoger

Yeah, yeah, I get that.  But I'm curious to know what the numbers actually are.  And, for that, I need to know what numbers are being compared.  Is Mississippi really that far behind, say, #45 on whatever list you have in mind?
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

A lot of times you'll see an article where some aspect of living in Oklahoma is terrible, usually with a stat showing us 46th in something or order. The comments will inevitably include at least one instance of "Well, thank GOD for Mississippi!"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 01:09:31 PM
Yeah, yeah, I get that.  But I'm curious to know what the numbers actually are.  And, for that, I need to know what numbers are being compared.  Is Mississippi really that far behind, say, #45 on whatever list you have in mind?
Mississippi life expectancy is only 74.4 years. That's lower than Mexico or Brazil's.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Two pet peeves from the various media outlets coverage of the results:

1) The Census has been referred to as the "Census survey". While the Census Bureau does conduct surveys, a survey and a census are different things. A survey gathers data from a sample of a larger population. A census gathers data from the entire population.

2) "If the census had counted 89 more people in New York . . . " While this statement is technically true, it is worded in a way that implies that there was some sort of decision made to count fewer people. Everybody that was there was counted.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Scott5114

Quote from: SP Cook on April 27, 2021, 10:16:08 AM
The drive by media superficially just reports that this or that state has gained or lost a congress seat and moves on.

Well, yeah, considering the Census Bureau has only released by-state totals and nothing more specific is going to be released until August, what else are they supposed to report? Made-up stuff?

Quote from: SP Cook on April 27, 2021, 10:16:08 AM
Districts have to be redrawn every time, even if the state stays even, because they must be equal and population growth or decline is never equal all around the state.  For example, when the numbers are fully released, eastern Kentucky will have lost a lot, even though Kentucky did not lose a seat, and thus the eastern districts will have to get larger geographically, while the Cincy suburb district will be geographically smaller.  So on across the process.

Remember that every state (except the ones with one seat) will have to redistrict, and also redistrict state senates and state houses as well.  Pretty much the story, everywhere, will be less seats for rural areas and more for suburban ones.

This is would be a good thing in Oklahoma, since both the 4th and the 5th districts have urban or suburban areas with vast swaths of rural territory that share nothing with them politically attached to it. (The 5th is particularly dumb: let's take most of the Oklahoma City metro and nail Pottawatomie County to the side of it and pretend that makes sense. Sure, guy.)

But then again I doubt it will get any better because the way it's set up is how the Legislature wants it. If anything, it will get worse, because the Wrong Candidate won in district 5 in 2018.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 27, 2021, 01:36:48 PM

1) The Census has been referred to as the "Census survey". While the Census Bureau does conduct surveys, a survey and a census are different things. A survey gathers data from a sample of a larger population. A census gathers data from the entire population.

2) "If the census had counted 89 more people in New York . . . " While this statement is technically true, it is worded in a way that implies that there was some sort of decision made to count fewer people. Everybody that was there was counted.

It is the drive-by media that is made to sensationalize that comment.

Scott5114

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on April 27, 2021, 01:54:52 PM
It is the drive-by media that is made to sensationalize that comment.

Well, yeah, considering the Census Bureau has only released by-state totals and nothing more specific is going to be released until August, what else are they supposed to report? Made-up stuff?

kalvado

Wel, this is the one I have in mind:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/teen-births/teenbirths.htm
MS is only 49th over past few years.

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2021, 01:26:25 PM
A lot of times you'll see an article where some aspect of living in Oklahoma is terrible, usually with a stat showing us 46th in something or order. The comments will inevitably include at least one instance of "Well, thank GOD for Mississippi!"

Yes, the "thank God for Mississippi" line has been around at least since the 1980s when Molly Ivins quoted it in one of her columns.

Roadgeekteen

I don't think everyone was counted.

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on April 27, 2021, 02:04:58 PM

I'm not sure I equate teen births with "standard of living".  There's probably correlation, but...
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 02:27:10 PM

I'm not sure I equate teen births with "standard of living".  There's probably correlation, but...
Poorer sex ed leads to more teen births.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2021, 02:28:12 PM

A lot more than that leads to teen births.

But that's still not the same thing as "standard of living" to me.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 02:30:03 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2021, 02:28:12 PM

A lot more than that leads to teen births.

But that's still not the same thing as "standard of living" to me.
In richer areas where education is more of a priority, teens could be more forward-thinking about their actions and the effect that it could have on their future.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 02:27:10 PM

Well, another one
https://ssti.org/blog/useful-stats-capita-gross-state-product-1998-2018
Animation about 2 screens down is quite telling.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2021, 02:21:54 PM

I don't think everyone was counted in Minnesota.  That game could be played all day.  Likely their was actually an overcount with the Coronavirus migration in NYS.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2021, 02:21:54 PM

If someone wasn't counted, they chose to remain hidden.

hotdogPi

Are these numbers going to affect vaccination percentages?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.