News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pork

Started by Max Rockatansky, March 01, 2021, 12:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

CNGL-Leudimin

Thread about pork + someone from Spain = cured ham! My very own guilty pleasure, I really love that.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 02, 2021, 02:26:03 PM
Thread about pork + someone from Spain = cured ham! My very own guilty pleasure, I really love that.

What do you call regular ham in Spain?  Jamón de pierna?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

The particulars of ham in Spain bring this to mind.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ET21

Chops and roasts are my go to
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

frankenroad

Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2021, 10:08:54 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 01, 2021, 07:57:04 PM...Christians during Lent might have something to say about that one.  :awesomeface:

Huh? Catholics observe Lent; I don't know of any Protestant denominations that do.

Episcopalians observe Lent.  Many give up red meat on Fridays in Lent.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Dirt Roads

In my consulting job, I wore many hats and had many bosses.  One of them was from Austria.  He really loved America except for one thing, he couldn't find any good pork.  He loved his five-star restaurants, so I constantly reminded him that most folks prepare pork at home, thus it's not very common in fancy places.  So when we started a big project in downtown Miami, I dragged him to a hole-in-the-wall Cuban restaurant tucked behind the old Woolworth's.  For $3, they brought him the biggest plate of pork roast with black beans that I've ever seen.  We were hooked, and ate there whenever we were available during daylight hours (most of the time we were working midnights and he stayed away).

In the late 1990s, he got transferred to Amsterdam and I went over to work for him quite a few times.  One particular weekend, he got a hankering for pork and had me drive all of us over to Aachen, just across the border into southwest Germany.  Sure enough, he found a Bavarian-themed tavern that specialized in haxe (pork knuckle).  They brought out this huge ham hock.  Being from West Virginia, you know, ham hocks were for the rich folks.  I was hooked.  I came back the next night and had the eisbein (pickled pork knuckle).  Even better.

I reminded him frequently that he needed to visit North Carolina more often.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 02:40:00 PM

Jamón is the Spanish word for "ham", and as such is used for any type of ham. We distinguish types by adding an adjective, thus cured ham is (mostly) called jamón serrano. Regular ham is called jamón de York, even though there's no proof it comes from York, England.
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 02, 2021, 04:10:27 PM

[pic snipped]

We Spaniards like to joke that Portuguese presunto is "presumably" ham exactly because of that :-D.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 02, 2021, 04:53:17 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 02:40:00 PM

Jamón is the Spanish word for "ham", and as such is used for any type of ham. We distinguish types by adding an adjective, thus cured ham is (mostly) called jamón serrano. Regular ham is called jamón de York, even though there's no proof it comes from York, England.
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 02, 2021, 04:10:27 PM

[pic snipped]

We Spaniards like to joke that Portuguese presunto is "presumably" ham exactly because of that :-D.

I could definitely go for a full plate of jamón ibérico right now, maybe with a nice Crianza from Rioja.

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 02, 2021, 05:10:09 PM
I could definitely go for a full plate of jamón ibérico right now, maybe with a nice Crianza from Rioja.

Rioja has some nice red wines.  Have you tried Malbec from Argentina?  Similarly nice.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 05:20:11 PM

Rioja has some nice red wines.  Have you tried Malbec from Argentina?  Similarly nice.

I am actually a sommelier, so I have been very fortunate in all of the wines I've had the opportunity to try.

Chris

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 10:38:28 AM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 02, 2021, 10:23:37 AM
bratwurst

Brats are my least favorite kind of sausage.

So they're "brat-worsts" for you?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on March 02, 2021, 09:35:42 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 09:26:04 AM

Quote from: dlsterner on March 02, 2021, 12:50:20 AM

The hooves are delicious?  You can't even make gelatin out of those, can you?

Feet (of all animals) are typically flat, or else they wouldn't work as feet. There's a decent possibility that the hooves are colored teal but not distinguished from the background.

The text box, on the other hand...
My grandmother loved pickled pig's feet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

OCGuy81

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Those are among my favorite types of wines!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 02, 2021, 07:02:54 PM

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Those are among my favorite types of wines!

If you dig those, try Priorat from Spain (a little bigger than Rioja) or Bonarda from Argentina (a little lighter/more fruit driven).

Chris

OCGuy81

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 02, 2021, 07:09:28 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 02, 2021, 07:02:54 PM

If you dig those, try Priorat from Spain (a little bigger than Rioja) or Bonarda from Argentina (a little lighter/more fruit driven).

Chris

Will do. Thank you!

Max Rockatansky

Just had a pork rib for dinner tonight.  Might wife cleaned out four packs of them on clearance at Vons the other day and has been cooking them in the air fryer.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 02, 2021, 07:57:00 PM
Just had a pork rib for dinner tonight.  Might wife cleaned out four packs of them on clearance at Vons the other day and has been cooking them in the air fryer.

Hope you enjoyed!  I just gained 5 pounds thinking about them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 02, 2021, 08:07:37 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 02, 2021, 07:57:00 PM

Hope you enjoyed!  I just gained 5 pounds thinking about them.

To that end, it's probably good that I do distance runs almost every morning to get a caloric intake gap going.  The ribs are huge and very marbled. 

hbelkins

Quote from: frankenroad on March 02, 2021, 04:17:30 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2021, 10:08:54 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 01, 2021, 07:57:04 PM...Christians during Lent might have something to say about that one.  :awesomeface:

Huh? Catholics observe Lent; I don't know of any Protestant denominations that do.

Episcopalians observe Lent.  Many give up red meat on Fridays in Lent.

Episcopalians and Presbyterians are often known as "watered-down Catholics" here.

I grew up in the Christian Church just up the road and am currently a member of a Baptist Church. Lent wasn't observed in either congregation. And the Episcopalian I worked with for several years didn't openly observe Lent and he sure didn't forego meat.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

For pork, I think of my "uncle" Teddy's (fried) Pork Chop Sandwiches.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Dirt Roads

Unreal!  This huge smoked ham from New Braunfels just showed up on my doorstep a few minutes ago.  My sister in Texas sent one to us and to my sister in West Virginia.  Guess what we're having for dinner for the next two months or so.

kphoger

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 03, 2021, 01:53:04 PM
Guess what we're having for dinner for the next two months or so.

Smoked ham.
Male pronouns, please.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 03, 2021, 01:53:04 PM
Guess what we're having for dinner for the next two months or so.

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2021, 02:14:27 PM
Smoked ham.

Do I see my love of pork going up in smoke?  Never fear, I'll freeze a bunch for later.  They'll run me out of the Carolinas if I lose my taste for pork.

Avalanchez71

Just received my pork from a Door Dash delivery and they made my food wrong.  What a waste of money.  They can't send another one out free of charge but they will let me come to the store to get one.  I had to Door Dash it in the first place.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.