News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

webny99

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 04, 2021, 11:28:52 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 04, 2021, 10:53:08 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 04, 2021, 12:48:13 AM
So Moderna is behind.

I'm glad I got Pfizer, then. I'd rather have the injection in my arm.

Same here

?

hotdogPi

I don't think that was missing the joke. It still makes perfect sense even with the alternate meaning.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2021, 12:25:55 PMWhat once was invigorating is now tiring.  Man, we must have been doing a lot of just sitting around this past year.

I have been thinking of going back to the gym myself, and even though I have been walking at least two miles on a more or less daily basis, I know I will have a mountain to climb to regain the strength and endurance I had back in March 2020 when everything closed.  (I have lost a small amount of weight and suspect it is mostly muscle mass.)  I am just not sure whether to hazard it now or wait and see what happens with the variants currently in circulation.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Are you not fully vaccinated?  If so, then wouldn't now be better than later, when it comes to variants?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Jim

Re: gyms, I was all ready to go back in the fall shortly after my local Planet Fitness first reopened, then the cases started going up and I decided to wait.  I ended up not going back until my "full vaccination" status kicked in in February.  I've found it to be really good.  People are generally following the rules, it can get busy but I never feel like I am right on top of others like it sometimes was at peak times in the olden days.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

bing101

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 04, 2021, 01:23:12 PM
I'm seeing an error message.

Sorry, that is my bad. (I manually deleted the image off my imgur thread instead of just closing the tab.) Fixed.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 01:10:26 PMAre you not fully vaccinated?  If so, then wouldn't now be better than later, when it comes to variants?

I had the second shot of Moderna on April 24, so my get-out-of-jail date is this coming Saturday.  Variants are an issue because I'd rather not climb the mountain of getting back to where I was in March 2020 only to have to stop if we go back to nonpharmaceutical interventions (masking, stay-at-home orders, etc.) when a vaccine-resistant variant breaks loose.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2021, 01:38:18 PM
I'd rather not climb the mountain of getting back to where I was in March 2020 only to have to stop if we go back to nonpharmaceutical interventions (masking, stay-at-home orders, etc.) when a vaccine-resistant variant breaks loose.

Eek.  You sure you're not just rationalizing laziness?

To my way of thinking, #2 below is still better than #3.

1.  Get back in shape.
2.  Start getting back in shape, then have to cut your progress short later.
3.  Don't even start getting back in shape.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

In a way, it reminds me of the joke about farmers:  that the rain is never the right amount.  Either it's too much rain or too little, or it came too early or too late.  Then, one year, the absolutely perfect amount of rain falls, at just the right time, and what does the farmer have to say?  "Yeah, but just wait till next year!"
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

when a vaccine-resistant variant breaks loose.

Do you think this is truly a matter of "when" rather than "if"?

02 Park Ave

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 01:10:26 PMAre you not fully vaccinated?  If so, then wouldn't now be better than later, when it comes to variants?

I had the second shot of Moderna on April 24, so my get-out-of-jail date is this coming Saturday.  Variants are an issue because I'd rather not climb the mountain of getting back to where I was in March 2020 only to have to stop if we go back to nonpharmaceutical interventions (masking, stay-at-home orders, etc.) when a vaccine-resistant variant breaks loose.

Be aware of the BV-1 and B.1.617 variants.  They are resistant to antibody neutralization.

Don't forget that this is a perpetual pandemic.

Welcome to the rest of your life.

C-o-H

kphoger

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on May 04, 2021, 02:06:46 PM

People talked for about a year about "getting back to normal".  Are they realizing yet that such might not be possible?

I worry that some people haven't yet been able to adjust their state of mind to include the coronavirus being a part of life.  I worry that they're going to be stuck in this sort of limbo for far longer than is healthy.  They've been hunkering down in their houses, waiting for a green light that may never light up.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 02:12:57 PM

People talked for about a year about "getting back to normal".  Are they realizing yet that such might not be possible?

I worry that some people haven't yet been able to adjust their state of mind to include the coronavirus being a part of life.  I worry that they're going to be stuck in this sort of limbo for far longer than is healthy.  They've been hunkering down in their houses, waiting for a green light that may never light up.
Covid will never go away, we just need to hope that vaccine boosters can keep up.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 02:32:02 PM

Covid will never go away, we just need to hope that vaccine boosters can keep up.
We will work hard to fight it though.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 04, 2021, 02:39:39 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 02:32:02 PM

We will work hard to fight it though.
We will. Nobody likes Covid.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 01:53:27 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2021, 01:38:18 PMI'd rather not climb the mountain of getting back to where I was in March 2020 only to have to stop if we go back to nonpharmaceutical interventions (masking, stay-at-home orders, etc.) when a vaccine-resistant variant breaks loose.

Eek.  You sure you're not just rationalizing laziness?

Quite sure.  I'm not saying I'm never lazy, but once I get into a routine at the gym, I keep going and don't miss twice.

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 01:53:27 PMTo my way of thinking, #2 below is still better than #3.

1.  Get back in shape.
2.  Start getting back in shape, then have to cut your progress short later.
3.  Don't even start getting back in shape.

I think that analysis makes more sense for an exercise program focused on aerobic conditioning.  Resistance training is all I do at the gym, and I increase the load on each set in six- to eight-week steps to minimize the chances of ligament injury.  If I'm forced to interrupt for an extended period (say, to wait out a spike in variant cases), I have to start back at zero when I return.

Quote from: jakeroot on May 04, 2021, 02:04:49 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2021, 01:38:18 PMwhen a vaccine-resistant variant breaks loose.

Do you think this is truly a matter of "when" rather than "if"?

For Michigan, not to mention the UK and Europe, it has been a matter of "when"--the latter two are just coming out of lockdowns that began after vaccines were authorized.  Admittedly, these decisions were driven by a variant (B.1.1.7) that is not vaccine-resistant and so reflect a problem of timing (spread occurring before vaccines could be rolled out to the bulk of the population), but it is just a short step from that to a vaccine-resistant variant taking off before a booster is available to contain it.

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 02:12:57 PMPeople talked for about a year about "getting back to normal".  Are they realizing yet that such might not be possible?

We are barely 17 months into this pandemic and our options for mitigation have been evolving throughout that time, so I think it is premature to make a determination that a return to normal won't be possible.

My own approach, admittedly, has been conservative.  We no longer have a general mask mandate in our local area, but that outcome is patently the result of a decision by the Kansas legislature (which has exactly zero epidemiologists) and liability concerns on the part of local governing bodies.  As of April 27, the CDC still recommends masks for vaccinated people in all indoor settings where unvaccinated people may be present (the main advantage of vaccination is a higher safety margin and being able to dispense with social distancing and handwashing).

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2021, 04:40:11 PM
Quite sure.  I'm not saying I'm never lazy, but once I get into a routine at the gym, I keep going and don't miss twice.

Hope I didn't offend.  I really thought it strange, especially coming from you.
Male pronouns, please.

Big John

Just got my 2nd Pfizer vaccine.

Roadgeekteen

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 04:54:02 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2021, 04:40:11 PMQuite sure.  I'm not saying I'm never lazy, but once I get into a routine at the gym, I keep going and don't miss twice.

No worries--I wasn't bothered.  And for that matter, I haven't given up on the gym.  I'm just waiting a while to see how the situation develops.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 05, 2021, 01:32:30 AM

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 04:54:02 PM

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2021, 04:40:11 PMQuite sure.  I'm not saying I'm never lazy, but once I get into a routine at the gym, I keep going and don't miss twice.

No worries--I wasn't bothered.  And for that matter, I haven't given up on the gym.  I'm just waiting a while to see how the situation develops.

Because, you know, you are nothing if not intentional.
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

I got the second dose just right now.  :D

Let's see how I feel tomorrow...

tolbs17

Pfizer is seeking full FDA approval for their vaccine. Hopefully this would fight hesitancy and we see more vaccine mandates.  :clap:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/pfizer-seeks-full-fda-approval-for-covid-vaccine-111528517741

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.