Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frafra Zoomer

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 26, 2021, 05:37:09 PM

Interesting.  I could get behind upgrading them with Jesery barriers and a passing lane every 10 miles or less.  Still, I think it's unrealistic to expect major upgrades of most two-lane highways.  FWIW, two-lane, undivided highways go up to 75 MPH in Texas: https://goo.gl/maps/xC6HcTGaVHTfon4R9

Is Texas trying to get people killed??? A 150 mph speed differential between adjacent lanes is not safe at all.

Even on four lane divided rural highways in California, the maximum speed limit is only ever 70 mph. They really love speed in Texas

The Dutch have found that it's not safe to have speeds above 40 mph on undivided roads

interstatefan990

Quote from: Frafra Zoomer on March 28, 2021, 02:21:34 AM

Interesting.  I could get behind upgrading them with Jesery barriers and a passing lane every 10 miles or less.  Still, I think it's unrealistic to expect major upgrades of most two-lane highways.  FWIW, two-lane, undivided highways go up to 75 MPH in Texas: https://goo.gl/maps/xC6HcTGaVHTfon4R9

Is Texas trying to get people killed??? A 150 mph speed differential between adjacent lanes is not safe at all.

Even on four lane divided rural highways in California, the maximum speed limit is only ever 70 mph. They really love speed in Texas

The Dutch have found that it's not safe to have speeds above 40 mph on undivided roads

Well, would you look at that! Finally someone who agrees with my doubts about the safety of higher-speed undivided roads. Nice to hear.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Scott5114

Is Texas trying to get people killed???

guessing you've never been to Texas if you need to ask this
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sprjus4

I'd kill myself trying to drive 45 mph on a rural highway in Texas.

oscar

It helps that Texas two-lane primary rural highways with 75mph limits (not farm-to-market secondary roads, often with lower limits) tend to have wide paved shoulders. Drivers uncomfortable with a 150mph (or more) speed differential with opposing traffic can move over onto the shoulder as needed. Shoulder use is also customary for slower drivers (yep, Texas has some of those) to help overtaking traffic pass them.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Flint1979

I think you'd have a better chance at getting killed going a lower speed limit on a rural highway in Texas. Texas has a very, very, very low population density outside of it's mega cities. Michigan has speed limits of 65 mph on the same type of highways in low densely populated parts of the state, the northern Lower Peninsula and almost all of M-28 and other highways in the U.P. are 65 mph.

I-69, I-75, US-127, US-131 and US-10 all have speed limits of 75 mph in the least densely populated part of the state although I-69 between Flint and Lansing is 75 mph as well in a more highly traveled part of the state than the rest of the 75 mph freeways. Heck the population center of Michigan is right outside of Morrice which I-69 passes halfway between Flint and Lansing.

Gnutella

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 26, 2021, 03:35:54 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2021, 03:07:59 PM
My unpopular opinion, at least among members of this forum: I prefer Clearview signs to Highway Gothic.

(Reason for that: I find them easier to read from a distance, especially at night.)

When it's done right (i.e. Clearview only for the control cities & Highway Gothic everywhere else) I also really like Clearview - here's a VDOT example I find snazzy.  It's the Clearview-overload signs I despise (such as this PennDOT montrosity).

That's PennDOT District 1 for you. They're the absolute worst in the Commonwealth when it comes to making pattern-accurate signs. Districts 5 and 9 are shitty too. Districts 2, 3, 6, 8 and 11 are much better at it. Districts 4, 10 and 12 are inconsistent.

Gnutella

There's so little traffic on those 75-MPH undivided highways that the higher speed differential isn't as much of a concern. If traffic increases on them, then I'm sure that either the speed limits will be lowered or the highway will be upgraded to four lanes divided.

sprjus4

If anything, Texas has and still is raising many 70 mph zones to 75 mph as traffic engineering studies are complete.

A lot of 75 mph roads have wide shoulders as mentioned, though many 70 mph and even some 75 mph have narrow to no shoulders.

interstatefan990

this PennDOT montrosity

Why did they use a full overhead gantry for that? Seems like they could have just used a right-side-only mount.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 28, 2021, 02:44:51 PM
I don't care about sign fonts

Me neither.

US 6 should still end in Erie. Either that or 6N should become a state route of some kind.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

interstatefan990

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 28, 2021, 03:03:41 PM
Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on March 28, 2021, 02:46:42 PM
Me neither.

So if DOTs start using Comic Sans on highway signs, you're cool with it?
I'm pretty sure some state DOT is doing it as an April Fools' prank.
--David Byrne

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 28, 2021, 03:56:35 PM
Me neither.

Heh. For a better example, see the two sign photos on this page.

Revision:
Any bold sans-serif font that is legible will work on a road sign.
--David Byrne

Scott5114

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on March 28, 2021, 04:02:55 PM
Me neither.

Revision:
Any bold sans-serif font that is legible will work on a road sign.

Except it won't–legibility is not a value that is either 0 or 1, at least not for road signs. Engineers have conducted studies to prove that different typefaces have different degrees of legibility. Say you have one typeface that can be read from 100 ft away, while another can be read from 75 ft away. They're both technically "legible"–you can read them both–but one can be more easily read from further away, and that means it is more legible. On a road, since you are moving, that means the driver has extra time to read and react to the message. This difference can be safety-critical.

So the statement "any bold sans-serif font that is legible will work on a road sign" isn't an opinion you can have, it's a statement that is simply wrong.

Big John

Does it matter that the fancy font is all mixed case while the Highway Gothic sign is upper case in the exit tab and the distance line?

Scott5114

Quote from: Big John on March 28, 2021, 04:30:52 PM
Does it matter that the fancy font is all mixed case while the Highway Gothic sign is upper case in the exit tab and the distance line?

I'm guessing they did that because cursive fonts are close to unreadable in all-caps.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 28, 2021, 12:05:31 PM
I think you'd have a better chance at getting killed going a lower speed limit on a rural highway in Texas. Texas has a very, very, very low population density outside of it's mega cities. Michigan has speed limits of 65 mph on the same type of highways in low densely populated parts of the state, the northern Lower Peninsula and almost all of M-28 and other highways in the U.P. are 65 mph.

Indeed, Michigan.  I remember a canoe trip to Michigan, somewhere west of Cadillac back in the mid-1980s.  Can't remember where, but there was a 20+ mile stretch of wide, straight dirt road.  At first, I was surprised to find a 55MPH speed limit sign.  Next, I was getting passed every few minutes.  Soon, I was holding up traffic as the oncoming traffic was too dense.  Next thing I know, I'm driving about 70MPH on a dirt road with the T-tops down and most of the traffic was passing me in excess of 80MPH.  I'm sure that car still has plenty of Michigan dirt drilled into the upholstery.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 28, 2021, 02:35:21 PM
this PennDOT montrosity

Why did they use a full overhead gantry for that? Seems like they could have just used a right-side-only mount.

Seeing the age of that gantry...different era, different signing standards.

SkyPesos

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 28, 2021, 02:35:21 PM
this PennDOT montrosity

There's more examples in the "Strange Overhead Signs"  thread. Some from there:

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2021, 11:45:34 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 18, 2021, 11:17:47 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 18, 2021, 09:25:26 PM
This one looks like they wasted money on using a full gantry to just hang one sign on that.
ODOT is so good at doing that

Your ODOT needs to get on my ODOT's level.

interstatefan990

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 28, 2021, 04:34:39 PM
I'm guessing they did that because cursive fonts are close to unreadable in all-caps.

Our worst nightmare  :evilgrin:

RobbieL2415

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 27, 2021, 04:21:17 PM
While we're on the topic of traffic lights: It surprises me how few American drivers know that if the other side is backed up and you can't clear the intersection, you have to stop and wait, even on a green light. So many people just block the intersection because "green means go"  and they'd rather worsen a traffic jam and possibly cause gridlock than follow the law.
This is actually not illegal in my state. For it to be illegal, the intersection must be painted in a crisscross pattern and be signposted, "Do Not Block Intersection."

texaskdog

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 27, 2021, 04:21:17 PM
While we’re on the topic of traffic lights: It surprises me how few American drivers know that if the other side is backed up and you can’t clear the intersection, you have to stop and wait, even on a green light. So many people just block the intersection because “green means go” and they’d rather worsen a traffic jam and possibly cause gridlock than follow the law.

no way.  at some lights you'd never get to go otherwise.  Go into the intersection.

Ever drive in Alaska?  if the light is yellow, you go or get run over.  You only stop on red.  Makes a lot of sense really.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.