News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique local pronunciations for place names

Started by huskeroadgeek, June 01, 2010, 03:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: english si on August 23, 2013, 12:23:38 PM
Loughborough is brilliant - the midlands university town is 'Luffbra' and Loughborough Junction railway station in South London is 'Luffbura'.

In the exclusive and expensive Spring Valley and Palisades neighborhoods of the Northwest part of the District of  Columbia, there is Loughboro Road, almost certainly having gotten its name from Loughborough.   It is pronounced Loffboro (and yes, people that are "not from here" sometimes have great difficulty pronouncing it correctly, especially that first syllable).

It intersects with  Dalecarlia Parkway, N.W. (the only street name that I am aware of in D.C. that is named for a Nordic province), which also gives some people problems.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

tchafe1978

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 22, 2013, 12:33:11 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 22, 2013, 02:05:32 AM
How about ubiquitous mispronunciations? "Worchester", MA—I don't know where people insist on finding an "H" in the spelling of "Worcester"! Or "Lane Caster", PA—anyone who's spent time there (despite the assertions of a certain TV journalist I saw recently) knows "Lancaster" rhymes with "prankster".

I would claim that "Woosta" and "Lankster" are mispronunciations, themselves.  it's a matter of "what is accepted by fiat", as opposed to "what conforms to the general rules of English".

And then you have Lancaster, WI which is pronounced Lan-cas-ter. Funny how the same place name can have two different pronunciations in two different parts of the country.

mUtcd33

New Tripoli, PA - trip-OLEY not TRI-poley
Tamaqua, PA - TAH-MAH-QUA not TAM-EKWAH
Hokendaqua, PA - HOCKEN-DAWKWAH not HOKEN-DAKWAH
Wind Gap, PA - Windgap (like one word)
Ephrata, PA - EFFORTA not Ef-ratta
Mohnton, PA - Mone-tin not Mon-ton
Oley, PA - OLEE not OLE

wxfree

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 24, 2013, 12:29:00 AM
And then you have Lancaster, WI which is pronounced Lan-cas-ter. Funny how the same place name can have two different pronunciations in two different parts of the country.

The differences can be even closer than that.  The city near Dallas is LANK ister, while the street in Fort Worth is LANG cast er.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

elsmere241

Try (at least) three:
Newark, New Jersey is NEW-erk
Newark, Delaware is NEW-ark (or New-ARK if correcting someone who tries to pronounce it like the other one)
Newark, Ohio is something like "Nerk" - all one syllable

Alps

Quote from: elsmere241 on August 24, 2013, 08:38:14 PM

Try (at least) three:
Newark, New Jersey is NEW-erk
Newark, Delaware is NEW-ark (or New-ARK if correcting someone who tries to pronounce it like the other one)
Newark, Ohio is something like "Nerk" - all one syllable
Newark, NJ is also definitely one syllable, to avoid confusion with NOO YAWK. ("The city" also helps with that.)

DSS5

Also worth mentioning (I thought of this after seeing it pronounced wrong on the news) is that there is only one correct pronunciation of "Appalachian," it's App-a-LACH-ian, never App-a-lay-shun.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: DSS5 on August 25, 2013, 09:34:01 AM
Also worth mentioning (I thought of this after seeing it pronounced wrong on the news) is that there is only one correct pronunciation of "Appalachian," it's App-a-LACH-ian, never App-a-lay-shun.

Consistent with how Apalachicola, Florida is pronounced (even though it is rather far from any  mountains).

App-a-LACH-ian seems to be how it is pronounced south of the Mason-Dixon Line. 

I have heard App-a-lay-shun more in places north of there.  And I have usually heard the "northern" pronunciation  when used with the Appalachian Trail (I don't know why).

IMO, App-a-LACH-ian sounds better.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 25, 2013, 10:33:24 AM

Consistent with how Apalachicola, Florida is pronounced (even though it is rather far from any  mountains).

I have heard App-a-lay-shun more in places north of there.  And I have usually heard the "northern" pronunciation  when used with the Appalachian Trail (I don't know why).
This. I didn't know about the alternate Southern pronunciation until someone I know from North Carolina mentioned it. Both pronunciations are equally valid, it's just a regional dialectical difference.

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on August 25, 2013, 07:31:23 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 25, 2013, 10:33:24 AM

This. I didn't know about the alternate Southern pronunciation until someone I know from North Carolina mentioned it. Both pronunciations are equally valid, it's just a regional dialectical difference.

There seem to be quite a few of these split between north versus south.  Charlotte is another example.

Charlotte, NC - SHAR-let
Charlotte, MI - sure-lot
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Dr Frankenstein

I don't know if I'm missing a rule or some history, or if there's just no way to know just by reading the name, but as a French Canadian, I always have trouble with names like Portsmouth, Plymouth, Falmouth, etc. Are all names ending in -mouth pronounced "-muth" and not "-mawth", or are there exceptions?

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on August 26, 2013, 03:09:46 PM
I don't know if I'm missing a rule or some history, or if there's just no way to know just by reading the name, but as a French Canadian, I always have trouble with names like Portsmouth, Plymouth, Falmouth, etc. Are all names ending in -mouth pronounced "-muth" and not "-mawth", or are there exceptions?
Dartmouth, Yarmouth... sure seems like it.

DSS5

Quote from: Steve on August 25, 2013, 07:31:23 PMThis. I didn't know about the alternate Southern pronunciation until someone I know from North Carolina mentioned it. Both pronunciations are equally valid, it's just a regional dialectical difference.

I can tell you for certain that the university is only pronounced one way, and ESPN should do something about that color commentator who couldn't seem to figure that out during the Montana game yesterday.

tchafe1978

Here is a fun site that pronounces every place name in Wisconsin for you:

www.misspronouncer.com

And no, it's not WES-con-sin!

national highway 1

Wollongong - Wool-len-gong
Leichhardt-LY-kart
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.