AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: General Houston-area projects thread  (Read 4280 times)

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

• Last Login: Today at 12:16:56 AM
Re: General Houston-area projects thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2021, 07:16:11 PM »

Was recently looking at TxDOT's excellent Project Tracker, and I noticed several corridors are being studied for widening:

- Katy Freeway between I-45 and I-610 (presumably as part of the Katy rebuild)
- SH 35 between Alvin and Angleton from 2 lanes to 4 lanes
- SH 288 between the future Grand Parkway and SH 332 from 4 lanes to 6 lanes
- SH 332 between 288 and Brazoria from 2 lanes to 4 lanes
- SH 249 from I-45 to Beltway 8
- Several other FM roads from 2 lanes to 4 lanes

I knew about the Katy Freeway rebuild, but I was pleasantly surprised to see 288 on the widening list. That section is pretty busy and (at the risk of sounding like FritzOwl) is sorely needed. The roadway will also be redone at about the same time.

The website also lists Grand Parkway segment C-2 as beginning construction in a few years.
Houston-area teenage roadgeek.
Amateur guitarist, keyboardist, and vocalist.

My Fictional Interstates thread

TheBox

• Last Login: December 03, 2021, 09:33:16 AM
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 12:58:52 PM »

Was recently looking at TxDOT's excellent Project Tracker, and I noticed several corridors are being studied for widening:

- Katy Freeway between I-45 and I-610 (presumably as part of the Katy rebuild)
- SH 35 between Alvin and Angleton from 2 lanes to 4 lanes
- SH 288 between the future Grand Parkway and SH 332 from 4 lanes to 6 lanes
- SH 332 between 288 and Brazoria from 2 lanes to 4 lanes
- SH 249 from I-45 to Beltway 8
- Several other FM roads from 2 lanes to 4 lanes

I knew about the Katy Freeway rebuild, but I was pleasantly surprised to see 288 on the widening list. That section is pretty busy and (at the risk of sounding like FritzOwl) is sorely needed. The roadway will also be redone at about the same time.

The website also lists Grand Parkway segment C-2 as beginning construction in a few years.

With SH 249, are they just gonna pull a S. Main/US-90 Alt (between I-610 to S Gessener Rd) or are they gonna pull a Westpark Tollway (where the build the frontage roads on the two sides before building the freeway or tollway itself)?

Also, will the extension be a freeway or a tollway?
And will there be direct connector @ I-45? (unlike with S. Main/US-90 Alt @ I-610)

MaxConcrete

• Last Login: December 07, 2021, 10:00:46 PM
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2021, 10:07:03 PM »

With SH 249, are they just gonna pull a S. Main/US-90 Alt (between I-610 to S Gessener Rd) or are they gonna pull a Westpark Tollway (where the build the frontage roads on the two sides before building the freeway or tollway itself)?

Also, will the extension be a freeway or a tollway?
And will there be direct connector @ I-45? (unlike with S. Main/US-90 Alt @ I-610)

It is going to be a regular street with 8 lanes. I just looked at the schematic and it has 19 traffic signals between IH-45 and BW8.

I would have liked to see a design like South Main, but that won't happen.

Anthony_JK

• Last Login: December 07, 2021, 08:26:09 AM
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2021, 02:06:55 AM »

Probably no need for a freeway here, since the Sam Houston Tollway offers the needed access from 249 to I-45.

thisdj78

• Last Login: Today at 08:24:15 AM
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 03:24:51 AM »

Probably no need for a freeway here, since the Sam Houston Tollway offers the needed access from 249 to I-45.

I travel on the road often when visiting family, itís a high traffic corridor and it could definitely use a limited access upgrade IMO. Especially the stretch between BW8 and Montgomery Rd.

achilles765

• Interstate 14 should connect Austin and Houston

• Last Login: December 07, 2021, 11:35:54 PM
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2021, 10:47:23 AM »

I travel on the road often when visiting family, itís a high traffic corridor and it could definitely use a limited access upgrade IMO. Especially the stretch between BW8 and Montgomery Rd.

When I lived in magnolia and commutes downtown with my grandmother everyday, traffic was always heavy enough to warrant a freeway or some kind of limited access. Frankly that stretch has more traffic than south main, hardy, Westpark, or the new tollway section through tomball.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

• Last Login: Today at 12:16:56 AM
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2021, 11:28:59 AM »

Houston-area teenage roadgeek.
Amateur guitarist, keyboardist, and vocalist.

My Fictional Interstates thread

achilles765

• Interstate 14 should connect Austin and Houston

• Last Login: December 07, 2021, 11:35:54 PM
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2021, 07:13:54 PM »

The new Elysian Viaduct bridge connecting downtown and the north side has opened:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/Traffic-returns-to-Elysian-Viaduct-Houston-s-16320152.php

this is good news.  I live in the east end and this could be a good alternate route when the train is stopped on Hirsch
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

TheBox

• Last Login: December 03, 2021, 09:33:16 AM
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2021, 10:11:54 PM »

Whenever they start working on this "Alvin Freeway (or Tollway)", which will be over Mywaka Rd for a good portion of it.
Are they just gonna pull a US-90 Alt/S. Main (between I-610 and S Gessner), or are they gonna pull a I-610/West Loop over the Post Oak Roads (between S. Post Oak and the Galleria area)?

i'm leaning more towards the former, cause it looks like there's not much space on Mykawa Rd, at least to me

thisdj78

• Last Login: Today at 08:24:15 AM
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2021, 12:49:28 AM »

Whenever they start working on this "Alvin Freeway (or Tollway)", which will be over Mywaka Rd for a good portion of it.
Are they just gonna pull a US-90 Alt/S. Main (between I-610 and S Gessner), or are they gonna pull a I-610/West Loop over the Post Oak Roads (between S. Post Oak and the Galleria area)?

i'm leaning more towards the former, cause it looks like there's not much space on Mykawa Rd, at least to me

Thereís enough space, they probably will run the train tracks down the median like MOPAC freeway in Austin, which isnít a very wide freeway but yet they still managed to add two new toll lanes 6+ years ago.

TXtoNJ

• Last Login: December 07, 2021, 12:03:10 PM
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2021, 10:32:34 AM »

Thereís enough space, they probably will run the train tracks down the median like MOPAC freeway in Austin, which isnít a very wide freeway but yet they still managed to add two new toll lanes 6+ years ago.

Yes. There are 200 ft available on the corridor. With Mykawa as the feeders (44 ft) and the rail corridor subtracted (36 ft), that leaves 120 ft available for mainlanes. Three 12 ft lanes per side (72 ft) gives you 48 ft to work with for everything else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.