Signifying a stoplight is new and not yet in service

Started by Scott5114, June 16, 2010, 10:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Florida bags them and flashes them for periods of one to three weeks (depending on the county).

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Dr Frankenstein

Québec seems to have varying techniques. Sometimes they aim them down, sometimes they make them flash. I've never seen them bagged.

They also post a sign saying "SIGNALS IN SERVICE <date>", in French, at the intersection approach.

They also have a "SIGNALS REMOVED <date>" variant, as well as ones for stops and speed limits.

US71

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 10, 2011, 11:36:09 PM
Québec seems to have varying techniques. Sometimes they aim them down, sometimes they make them flash. I've never seen them bagged.

They also post a sign saying "SIGNALS IN SERVICE <date>", in French, at the intersection approach.

They also have a "SIGNALS REMOVED <date>" variant, as well as ones for stops and speed limits.

I've seen "Signals Removed" once or twice in my travels.

Sometimes, if a signal is new, I've seen flags on the Signal Ahead signs (also used for new STOPs, Bus Stops and Speed Limits)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

Orange County, FL uses a portable VMS to place at a new signal instalation.  The flags on a signal ahead signs were used at locations where flashing beacons became full signals, now this seems to be the way for all.

SC uses signal ahead signs with a "NEW" panel attached.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

Most of the new mast-arm signals being installed in Broward County, Florida are pointed down to the roadway until they become operational.

apeman33

Basically, I can say I've seen every variant listed here used in Kansas (excluding the Quebec signs in any language). There doesn't seem to be a SOP for new signals. The most common seems to be to bag them, then have a flashing stage before going to a regular cycle.

txstateends

I've seen mixed treatments here in TX also.  Some places bag them with burlap, others use plastic.  Some turn them down, others up.  Some places use a flashing-yellow preview, others seem to fully activate them after the unveiling or straighening.  A few give you warning ahead of time with upright-angled flags above the "signal ahead" signs if the light is new.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.