News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NC: The proposed I-685

Started by tolbs17, November 20, 2021, 01:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

State and local officials today unveiled Future I-685 signs that will be going up along US 421 between I-85 in Guilford County and U.S. 421 Business near Sanford:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/triangle-region-another-interstate-highway-170229716.html

The Ghostbuster

Will making the US 421 corridor Interstate 685 boost economic growth? Wouldn't making the corridor completely freeway but leaving it US 421 boost just as much growth. If it were a brand-new corridor being built from scratch, that would be one thing. However, future 685 will parallel an existing US Highway corridor, like many Interstate Highways do (both former and existing). I'm not saying 685 shouldn't be built, but I think the economic development argument falls short (and usually does).

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 21, 2024, 11:28:44 AMWill making the US 421 corridor Interstate 685 boost economic growth? Wouldn't making the corridor completely freeway but leaving it US 421 boost just as much growth. If it were a brand-new corridor being built from scratch, that would be one thing. However, future 685 will parallel an existing US Highway corridor, like many Interstate Highways do (both former and existing). I'm not saying 685 shouldn't be built, but I think the economic development argument falls short (and usually does).
It's the same talking points with every new interstate highway... nothing new.

AlmaPinnix

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 21, 2024, 11:28:44 AMWill making the US 421 corridor Interstate 685 boost economic growth? Wouldn't making the corridor completely freeway but leaving it US 421 boost just as much growth. If it were a brand-new corridor being built from scratch, that would be one thing. However, future 685 will parallel an existing US Highway corridor, like many Interstate Highways do (both former and existing). I'm not saying 685 shouldn't be built, but I think the economic development argument falls short (and usually does).
Toyota will, by itself, create substantial economic growth along the 685.

snowc

I-685 has been signed officially as FUTURE.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
QuoteEconomic development, transportation and local government leaders unveiled a new sign in Liberty, Monday, marking the start of an interstate route set to alter the course of Harnett County.

The sign simply read, "FUTURE 685."

The Ghostbuster

The article says future 685's eastern terminus will be in Dunn. Does that mean that the completely unnecessary 685 extension paralleling Interstate 40 to Wilmington was a Fictional Highways-like pipe-dream?

PColumbus73

I feel like taking it to I-295 would make more logical sense, but I also believe it's not necessary.

roadman65

It would be more sensible to have it follow NC 55 from Dunn and interchange with I-40 near Clinton.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

I-95 in Dunn is a really weird terminus.  I'm not really sure what this route is supposed to functionally do here.  If it's meant to be a shorter route to Wilmington bypassing Raleigh-Durham, then it should extend along NC 55 to I-40.  If it's meant to be a shortcut to Fayetteville, then it should instead follow NC 87/NC 24/NC 210 to I-295.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

snowc

Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2024, 08:27:46 PMI-95 in Dunn is a really weird terminus.  I'm not really sure what this route is supposed to functionally do here.  If it's meant to be a shorter route to Wilmington bypassing Raleigh-Durham, then it should extend along NC 55 to I-40.  If it's meant to be a shortcut to Fayetteville, then it should instead follow NC 87/NC 24/NC 210 to I-295.
Plus, its a diamond interchange, and would require extensive upgrades and possible destruction to the mainline businesses along the route.
Also, Dunn Erwin Bypass is going to contain I-685. They already have plans as seen here to contain a full bypass around Dunn, and ending it with an interchange with I-95.  :hmmm:

roadman65

You can't build I-685 over US 421 through Downtown without taking away its businesses and destroying the business area.

I assume I-685 would bypass it and interchange with I-95 elsewhere in the vicinity.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

I think it's pretty obvious that I-685 will be built on a new terrain alignment between Sanford and Dunn for most of its distance.

bob7374

Since they have now made official Future I-685 signs, thought it was time to make an official Future I-685 page for my New and Future NC Interstates site. Needless to say, when I started the site in 2002 I didn't figure NCDOT would be signing or proposing to sign 10 more routes in the next 20+ years.

sprjus4

Quote from: bob7374 on May 28, 2024, 06:27:24 PMSince they have now made official Future I-685 signs, thought it was time to make an official Future I-685 page for my New and Future NC Interstates site. Needless to say, when I started the site in 2002 I didn't figure NCDOT would be signing or proposing to sign 10 more routes in the next 20+ years.
Where exactly did this image originate?

Assuming it is legitimate, I still feel the route via Fayetteville would prove the most beneficial to the motoring public, and would create a direct interstate link between Fayetteville and the Greensboro / Triad area. I don't see the point of an overlap along I-295 though... just route down NC-87 to I-295 and end.

bob7374

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 28, 2024, 08:32:15 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on May 28, 2024, 06:27:24 PMSince they have now made official Future I-685 signs, thought it was time to make an official Future I-685 page for my New and Future NC Interstates site. Needless to say, when I started the site in 2002 I didn't figure NCDOT would be signing or proposing to sign 10 more routes in the next 20+ years.
Where exactly did this image originate?

Assuming it is legitimate, I still feel the route via Fayetteville would prove the most beneficial to the motoring public, and would create a direct interstate link between Fayetteville and the Greensboro / Triad area. I don't see the point of an overlap along I-295 though... just route down NC-87 to I-295 and end.
This was posted on the FB Tar Heel Roads group. The poster got it from an article he found but could not remember the source. I've tried looking around for the source myself but without success. I'll continue to look and regard the map as unofficial until one is found.

PColumbus73

Wouldn't be able to take it through Spring Lake without destroying the town, Alternate B would make the most sense.

The Ghostbuster

Would future Interstate 685 be a more effective route if it continued along US 421 east of Sanford, or south along NC 87 and NC 24 to connect with Interstate 295? The designation was proposed to go from Greensboro to Dunn, and if it goes to Fayetteville instead, the entire proposal should be amended.

roadman65

Could have a branch serve Fayetteville. Being it's home to Pope AAF and Fort Bragg Fort Liberty it should have another interstate serve them.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 29, 2024, 08:32:08 AMWouldn't be able to take it through Spring Lake without destroying the town, Alternate B would make the most sense.
Alternative B, as shown on the map, would prove little use to Fayetteville motorists. It would need to swing back south/west near I-295 to provide access toward Fort Bragg & Fayetteville, as opposed to bypassing altogether and beelining toward I-95. But that small adjustment could work to bypass Spring Lake.

PColumbus73

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 29, 2024, 02:01:20 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 29, 2024, 08:32:08 AMWouldn't be able to take it through Spring Lake without destroying the town, Alternate B would make the most sense.
Alternative B, as shown on the map, would prove little use to Fayetteville motorists. It would need to swing back south/west near I-295 to provide access toward Fort Bragg & Fayetteville, as opposed to bypassing altogether and beelining toward I-95. But that small adjustment could work to bypass Spring Lake.

If it weren't for Fort Liberty, having I-685 meet I-295 at the bend near Reilly Road would be ideal. Or, at the bend near Eureka Springs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.