News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiMillionMiler

I didn't mean the significance of specific holidays themselves, just the vacation aspect, since there are so many. If people were happier overall, they wouldn't feel so desperate to have any specific holiday plans work out.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on December 24, 2022, 06:32:00 PM
Christmas is overrated.
Heard someone say Christmas is more of a deadline than a holiday.

I like the music and the tree and the season and the Christ story...but absolutely hate the gift giving.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 24, 2022, 08:02:15 PM
I didn't mean the significance of specific holidays themselves, just the vacation aspect, since there are so many. If people were happier overall, they wouldn't feel so desperate to have any specific holiday plans work out.

Says the guy who overpaid to go on the same rollercoaster he's been on a bunch of times. 

bm7

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 24, 2022, 07:51:19 PM
Holidays in general are over-rated and an unhealthy obsession. If life was good enough that people could reasonably enjoy themselves more often, there wouldn't be such a desperate need for holidays. Plus, they lose meaning when there's 100+ of them every year.
How many holidays a year does the average person celebrate? Certainly less than 100. The only ones my family celebrate every year are New Years, Easter, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

thspfc

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 24, 2022, 07:54:55 PM
Holidays in general are over-rated and an unhealthy obsession. If life was good enough that people could reasonably enjoy themselves more often, there wouldn't be such a desperate need for holidays. Plus, they lose meaning when there's 100+ of them every year.
Let people enjoy things.
Who is stopping anyone from enjoying anything?

Honestly I would agree that conventional holidays are overrated - but yearly traditions, which are often associated with holidays, are underrated.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on December 25, 2022, 01:46:06 PM
Let people enjoy things.
Who is stopping anyone from enjoying anything?

Honestly I would agree that conventional holidays are overrated - but yearly traditions, which are often associated with holidays, are underrated.

I'd be happy if I can ruin a couple things MMM enjoys given all his smug comments on this forum.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 25, 2022, 01:59:29 PM
  https://images.app.goo.gl/k41eXdGaj8uBcnUK6 

Yes, the smug man-child who lives with his parents on Long Island has the answers for all.  Look to him, for he knows what will make you happy and will tell you what you ought not celebrate.

thenetwork

Quote from: bm7 on December 24, 2022, 09:58:24 PM
How many holidays a year does the average person celebrate? Certainly less than 100. The only ones my family celebrate every year are New Years, Easter, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

FEDERAL Holidays -- the ones where the local, state and national governments get the day off, but not the rest of the work force -- that's overrated!   And it happens about 5 or 6 times a year...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thenetwork on December 25, 2022, 02:38:09 PM

FEDERAL Holidays -- the ones where the local, state and national governments get the day off, but not the rest of the work force -- that's overrated!   And it happens about 5 or 6 times a year...

Unless of course you work for one of those agencies that celebrates Federal Holidays.  There are several of the non-name brand Federal holidays which hold the most underrated value for trips to places usually mobbed by normal tourists.

Flint1979

Christmas is overrated. I can't wait for it to be over with for the year.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 25, 2022, 02:49:24 PM

Unless of course you work for one of those agencies that celebrates Federal Holidays.  There are several of the non-name brand Federal holidays which hold the most underrated value for trips to places usually mobbed by normal tourists.

I'm going to be interested in seeing how the new federal holiday on June 19 changes summer vacation patterns. It's just over two weeks before July 4, so someone who strategizes the use of leave time properly can get an extended vacation by using the two holidays as bookends. Consider that in 2023, June 19 is a Monday and July 4 is a Tuesday. Someone could take ten days of leave (June 20—23 and 26—30, plus Monday, July 3) yet go on vacation from June 18 through July 4.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 25, 2022, 03:31:56 PM

I'm going to be interested in seeing how the new federal holiday on June 19 changes summer vacation patterns. It's just over two weeks before July 4, so someone who strategizes the use of leave time properly can get an extended vacation by using the two holidays as bookends. Consider that in 2023, June 19 is a Monday and July 4 is a Tuesday. Someone could take ten days of leave (June 20—23 and 26—30, plus Monday, July 3) yet go on vacation from June 18 through July 4.

Thank you!  As a retired person who can travel whenever I want, I will try to make travel plans that avoid those two and a half weeks ;)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on December 25, 2022, 04:05:01 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 25, 2022, 03:31:56 PM

Thank you!  As a retired person who can travel whenever I want, I will try to make travel plans that avoid those two and a half weeks ;)

But that's part of my point.  Normals won't flock to a Monday off on June 19th as anything special, even if they have it off.  They'll all stick to their fourth of July holiday like usual.  I'm definitely parlaying June 19th as a three or possibly four-day weekend.  I usually do something similar with the likes of President's Day, Columbus Day and Veteran's Day.

hbelkins

The feds take a lot more holidays than do state or local governments. Kentucky, by statute, observes 11 1/2 holidays per year -- Two for New Year's Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day, a half-day for Good Friday, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, two for Thanksgiving and two for Christmas. That becomes 12 1/2 during a presidential election year. If a holiday is added, another is removed. Kentucky has tinkered with its state holidays since MLK Day was added -- it originally replaced Veterans Day, but then Veterans Day was added back and Presidents Day (Washington's Birthday) was removed. At one point Columbus Day was a state holiday but it was removed at some point.

Kentucky state government has not added Juneteenth to its list of state holidays. If it does, I'm not sure what holiday would be removed. Probably one of the New Year's holidays.

As for Christmas being overrated -- the commercialization, the lengthening of the season, the pressures, the demands on your time and your schedule and your finances, etc. -- I could do without that. When stores start putting out decorations before Labor Day, that's too early. All the hype and buildup and decorating and then the 25th is over, and "poof."

Maybe my view is jaded because I don't have kids.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Why are you blaming the Feds? Why don't you blame the companies for not following the Fed's holiday schedule?

abefroman329

But if you live in/near DC, then leave town, because guess what? Nearly all of your neighbors have, say, Veterans' Day off as well!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 25, 2022, 06:00:29 PM

But if you live in/near DC, then leave town, because guess what? Nearly all of your neighbors have, say, Veterans' Day off as well!

Ah, that's the hook though.  Despite being a Federal employee, I don't really live near a major center of Federal employment.

bulldog1979

Walmart had 6 paid holidays when I worked there: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. The hotel where I work had the same listing and added MLK Day.

The State of Michigan has a few more public holidays: New Year's Day, MLK Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and the day after, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve. In even-numbered years, Election Day in November is also a holiday for a total of 13 days in odd years and 14 in even years.

skluth

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: hbelkins on December 25, 2022, 04:46:20 PM
The feds take a lot more holidays than do state or local governments. Kentucky, by statute, observes 11 1/2 holidays per year.

For the record, the feds have 11 holidays, to wit:

New Year's Day
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Washington's Birthday
Memorial Day
Juneteenth National Independence Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Columbus Day
Veterans Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

This post is so dumb, it honestly feels like bait.

If you think Christmas is on the same level as something like Halloween or Presidents' Day, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Part of the issue with Christmas is that it's hyped up as early as November 1st. So by the time you get around to December 26, you are completely done with it. Contrast that to the liturgical calendar, where the true Christmas season goes for roughly 2 weeks, starting on December 25th (or 24th, I guess).

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

formulanone

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 27, 2022, 10:54:04 AM
Holidays in general are over-rated and an unhealthy obsession.

And yet, everyone feels the need to give bad ideas more fuel to fire up more bad ideas.

There's a kernel of truth to it, but more of a moment-of-blissful-perfection, rather than the natural vicissitudes of life. The original meaning of the word holiday was holy day, a point where we might ignore the difficulties and wants in life to rediscover the inner space of life, enjoy a bounty, or whatever makes one feel joy.

We need reflection points every so often; there's 365+ holidays in the sense that there's always a birthday, anniversary, or arbitrary date for something in history or lesson to be learned (or just an excuse to do something silly).

Let people enjoy things.

Also, this.

MultiMillionMiler

If you think Christmas is on the same level as something like Halloween or Presidents' Day, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Part of the issue with Christmas is that it's hyped up as early as November 1st. So by the time you get around to December 26, you are completely done with it. Contrast that to the liturgical calendar, where the true Christmas season goes for roughly 2 weeks, starting on December 25th (or 24th, I guess).

Not Christmas specifically, but when too many holidays get mashed together in too short a period, and radio stations start playing the music 2 months in advance and a month after, it becomes annoying. The unhealthy obsession thing is a true fact from psychology. When people get their hopes up for one time of the year and then flights get canceled, or plans get foiled, it's much more disappointing than if they did that stuff on a more regular basis. It's like if something goes wrong on someone's birthday and instead of having the party another day, they don't because it's not the right day. Who cares? They should have it anyway and not miss out on the fun. And you aren't even done December 26th because New Years (which is the dumbest in my opinion).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 27, 2022, 12:15:15 PM

Not Christmas specifically, but when too many holidays get mashed together in too short a period, and radio stations start playing the music 2 months in advance and a month after, it becomes annoying. The unhealthy obsession thing is a true fact from psychology. When people get their hopes up for one time of the year and then flights get canceled, or plans get foiled, it's much more disappointing than if they did that stuff on a more regular basis. It's like if something goes wrong on someone's birthday and instead of having the party another day, they don't because it's not the right day. Who cares? They should have it anyway and not miss out on the fun. And you aren't even done December 26th because New Years (which is the dumbest in my opinion).

You do realize Christmas technically goes past the 25th?  My wife lost her shit one year when I started taking decorations down before the Epiphany. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.