News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: bm7 on November 10, 2022, 03:07:16 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2022, 03:35:05 PM
Quote from: kurumi on November 09, 2022, 12:40:19 AM
Maybe nostalgia, but it seems like there was a lot more variety in pop music back in the day, where guitar rock, country, prog, R+B, power pop, folk, etc. would share the charts. Now it seems a lot more optimized for current tastes, like everyone's chasing it. Ah well, grumble grumble, kids these days, etc.

I mean, this was the first year that a single artist swept the Billboard top ten, but let's not forget that another artist bagged nine out of ten just last year.

So yeah, I agree that radio music nowadays does seem to be more homogenous than in the 80s.
I think that's more due to the Billboard lists now including streaming listens. When it was just based on radio plays, pretty much only singles would end up on the list, which would generally make it impossible for more than a few songs from an artist to be on the list at a time. Nowadays when an extremely popular artist releases an album, often times the whole album will end up in the top 100.

Also, at that time, the definition of 'single' was changed to include all songs that are individually available for download or streaming listen, not just specifically produced and 'pressed' for individual retail sale.

Not only sweeping the top ten, but in last weekend's chart (2022-11-05), one artist charted *20* new titles, including putting ten of them in the top ten.   That act's lowest debut was at #45.

Yes, it is a big change from how it was going into the 1980s and 1990s.

Mike

1995hoo

People quite understandably talk about how nice it is to come home from a trip somewhere and sleep in your own bed with your own pillow etc.

A vastly overrated part of coming home: Sitting on your own toilet and using your preferred brand of toilet paper (like Charmin) instead of the flimsy and often somewhat rough el cheapo brands many hotels provide.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2022, 08:35:25 AM
People quite understandably talk about how nice it is to come home from a trip somewhere and sleep in your own bed with your own pillow etc.

A vastly overrated part of coming home: Sitting on your own toilet and using your preferred brand of toilet paper (like Charmin) instead of the flimsy and often somewhat rough el cheapo brands many hotels provide.
Yes, and it's even more overrated when you have a Genie Bidet at home and weren't able to use something similar on the road.

Scott5114

I generally bring my own toilet accessories with me when I travel, simply to avoid the institutional paper. (Usually it's at least a small step up from what you find in public bathrooms, though it's a small step.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2022, 08:35:25 AM

A vastly overrated part of coming home: Sitting on your own toilet

A king never feels as great as when he's sitting on his own throne.

texaskdog

Scott5114

skluth

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 18, 2022, 04:11:02 PM
I generally bring my own toilet accessories with me when I travel, simply to avoid the institutional paper. (Usually it's at least a small step up from what you find in public bathrooms, though it's a small step.)

Assuming the public bathroom even has TP. Then having your own is a huge step. (I also keep a spare roll in the trunk for such occasions.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on November 18, 2022, 05:48:35 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 18, 2022, 04:11:02 PM

Assuming the public bathroom even has TP. Then having your own is a huge step. (I also keep a spare roll in the trunk for such occasions.)

I keep a roll in my car tool box and hiking bag, very handy when the occasion is called for.

vdeane

Not to mention that hotel bathrooms tend to be a letdown in general, not just the TP quality.  The TP placement is often in some bizarre place that requires contouring in weird ways to get at it, or worse, getting up and turning around.  Plus they almost invariably (can count on one hand the number of exceptions) have poor ventilation, resulting in not just a steamy mirror, but condensation on everything else, too, and humidity that takes hours to go down (it's murder on my hair, plus I hate humidity in general).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

Opposite most people here, I have no strong feelings one way or another where I poop. Assuming the place is not disgustingly dirty and so on, I'm perfectly content pooping anywhere, and I have no especial preference for home.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

J N Winkler

In the past I think I have said I normally prefer to move my bowels at home, but this has less to do with the quality of the toilet paper, and more with wanting to be able to shower afterward.  A stool that is easy to pass is one of life's underrated pleasures.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Shower after every bowel movement...?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2022, 09:41:53 PM
Not to mention that hotel bathrooms tend to be a letdown in general, not just the TP quality.  The TP placement is often in some bizarre place that requires contouring in weird ways to get at it, or worse, getting up and turning around.  Plus they almost invariably (can count on one hand the number of exceptions) have poor ventilation, resulting in not just a steamy mirror, but condensation on everything else, too, and humidity that takes hours to go down (it's murder on my hair, plus I hate humidity in general).

Heh. At both of the hotels where I stayed over the past two weeks, the TP was on a vertical holder well behind my position. I wound up taking the roll off the holder and setting it to one side in front of me (on the counter at the first hotel, on the edge of the tub in the second one) to make it easier to reach. But at least in both cases it was easy to remove.

Scott5114

Random question...is there anyone else who does not use a TP holder at all? I was raised in a house that used them, but for whatever reason, when my wife gets a new roll out she never puts it on the holder and just leaves it on the counter next to the toilet. After a while of indignantly putting it on the holder every time I saw this, I finally just gave up and started leaving it where it is. And nothing of value seems to be lost.

Takumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 19, 2022, 07:38:17 PM
Random question...is there anyone else who does not use a TP holder at all? I was raised in a house that used them, but for whatever reason, when my wife gets a new roll out she never puts it on the holder and just leaves it on the counter next to the toilet. After a while of indignantly putting it on the holder every time I saw this, I finally just gave up and started leaving it where it is. And nothing of value seems to be lost.

When my bathroom blind broke and I replaced it with a curtain that's too long for the window, it covered the toilet paper holder so ever since then I've been sitting new rolls on the toilet.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Easy fix -- leave the door open when you bathe.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2022, 07:54:36 PM

Easy fix -- leave the door open when you bathe.
I would think the last thing I would want is to make the entire room that humid.  I go so far as to remove things that I don't think would do well in that environment (my pills, tweezers, hairdryer, etc.) out of the bathroom unless I've verified that I'm in one of the few hotel bathrooms that don't do that.

Sometimes it's so bad that I end up drying my hair in the main room.  Not only because of mirror issues (easily solved) or the wet countertop (sometimes with so much condensation that I may as well have poured a bucket of water on it), but because my hair takes twice as long to dry if it's that humid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

I mean, the way it would work is that the 100% humidity air mixes with the 50% (or whatever) air in the hotel room, making something closer to 75% humidity in both places. And especially during the winter time, indoor air often has humidity levels in the 20% or so range, meaning that raising the humidity level in the room would probably make it more comfortable and less likely to make your skin dry out. I usually don't use the vent fan at all during the winter, because it's free humidity I don't have to run the humidifier to get.

Living in an environment that's naturally fairly humid already, I don't really have any issues with pills or tweezers, and I would imagine a hairdryer would be engineered to work in a humid environment, considering that most people would be using it immediately after a shower.

I don't open the door while I'm showering for the sole reason that it tends to make the room colder than I like.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Rothman on November 19, 2022, 03:20:38 PMShower after every bowel movement...?

Yes.  Admittedly, it's more convenient for natural frequency of just once a day (anywhere from three times a day to once every three days is considered normal) and natural timing of just after coffee and just before showering.

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 19, 2022, 07:38:17 PMRandom question...is there anyone else who does not use a TP holder at all? I was raised in a house that used them, but for whatever reason, when my wife gets a new roll out she never puts it on the holder and just leaves it on the counter next to the toilet. After a while of indignantly putting it on the holder every time I saw this, I finally just gave up and started leaving it where it is. And nothing of value seems to be lost.

I greatly prefer a TP holder mounted to the wall next to the toilet at knee level, though I personally get off the toilet before I start tearing off TP (yes, I can just imagine the expressions of horror).  I've seen freestanding TP holders, but remain wary of the tipover potential.  I've also seen TP rolls left on top of the toilet tank; I think that is just asking for them to fall into the bowl.

I try to position new rolls of TP within the bathroom so that, if necessary, I can change a roll one-handed.  Generally I have a 12-roll package in the cabinet underneath the sink, pre-slit at one corner so I can simply reach in and pull the first new roll off without having the other 11 trying to follow.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CtrlAltDel

The best toilet-paper holder I ever had was not a toilet paper holder at all, but a bit of pipe that came out of the wall, oriented at about a 45-degree angle right at about arm level. It wasn't designed for toilet paper, but just a quirk of the plumbing in the old building I lived in. Anyway, putting the toilet paper there was ideal. I was able to take the whole roll in my hand, unravel however much I needed, and put it back. It was easy and comfortable and convenient.

The second best toilet-paper holder, for me at least, would be a freestanding version of the following:

Note the lack of a nub at the top, allowing the roll to slide on and off easily.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

^^^^

That thing is conceptually similar to what I was describing from the hotels where I stayed the past two weeks, although they both had a slight little "cap," for lack of a better word, on top, I assume just to reduce the chance of the roll sliding upwards depending on how someone unrolls the TP.

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 19, 2022, 10:18:40 PM
... I've also seen TP rolls left on top of the toilet tank; I think that is just asking for them to fall into the bowl.

My wife used to get on my case for leaving the toilet seat up. She also likes to store a spare roll on the back of the toilet tank (in the case of our powder room, there really is no other suitable place in that room). Sure enough, during the Great TP Shortage of 2020 I dropped a roll and it landed in the bowl. So now I put down the lid as well as the seat (and I know that's more hygienic anyway due to toilet plume). Now she gets annoyed that the lid is down. How is it that women apparently cannot figure out how to use a toilet if the seat and lid are not pre-positioned in their preferred position? (I note our master bathroom toilet has a lighted seat, too, which makes it particularly easy to tell.)

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 19, 2022, 07:38:17 PM

Probably not so necessary in a confined/enclosed area.

But when you accidentally drop the roll and it zips on under the stall door...there's a extra challenge I can do without in times of duress.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 20, 2022, 08:47:30 AM
(I note our master bathroom toilet has a lighted seat, too, which makes it particularly easy to tell.)

This is a thing? I had no idea, and now I want one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.