News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best/Fastest Routes or Cheats around tolls...

Started by thenetwork, July 26, 2010, 09:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 06, 2016, 10:50:56 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 06, 2016, 10:20:13 AM
Quote from: Rothman on December 06, 2016, 10:19:24 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 06, 2016, 10:12:56 AM
Quote from: Rothman on December 06, 2016, 09:56:05 AM
I-295 or I-95 in PA to avoid the NJ Turnpike in South Jersey.  May not be the fastest, but sure is the best and worth the extra time and miles at times.

Under what conditions?  NJ Turnpike that far south is pretty tame, traffic-wise, unless something is going on with the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Avoiding the Turnpike to avoid the toll, not to avoid traffic.
Right, but I am wondering what the "times" were that he was referring to.
"at times" meaning "sometimes".

Especially on busy travel weekends the NJ Turnpike can be slow-going in this area between 4 & 1.  It can be slow going SB during weekday rush hours...although it's slower on 295 (and 95) so that's not the best/fastest route at that time.

Even when there's an issue in Delaware that backs traffic up into NJ, usually the backup on the NJ Turnpike is longer than on 295 so it pays in time to be on 295.  And it's a slight bit easier to jump off 295 onto 140 then 130 to the bridge to possibly save another few minutes.

Of course, the NJ Turnpike used to cheat itself due to congestion at the old Interchange 1 toll plaza, and would often close the highway southbound at Interchange 4, forcing people to 295 anyway.  I haven't heard of that happening over the past decade since the new toll plaza was built, except for accidents which close the Turnpike. 

If I'm feeling really cheap (b/c the toll agencies get tons of money) and time doesn't matter I'll shun pike the NJ Tpke from Exit 1-6 via I-295 and then Exit 10 on up via I-287 to the Tappan Zee to avoid the GWB to CT. 
or

I can take the NJ Tpke up to I-280 to NJ-21 to NJ-3 and get on using the free portion of I-95 to the Palisades to the Tappan Zee. The Port Authority gets enough money.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Buffaboy

Buffalo to points west before PA: NY-5 (via Skyway) or US-20. This is only good until you get to Irving though, but you're welcome to go further.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

roadman65

:bigass:
Quote from: empirestate on December 06, 2016, 11:58:17 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 06, 2016, 09:42:05 AM
Willis Avenue Bridge to shunpike the Triborough Bridge if traveling from Manhattan and the Bronx.  Then the Third Avenue Bridge from the Bronx to Manhattan to avoid the hefty tolls the MTA implements as well.

That's what we're talking about 10-15 posts back. ;-)

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3185.msg118433#msg118433
Hey if someone else uses this way too then it must be a good route then.   Proves the point that its the best route when in NYC to avoid the expensive Triborough if two different people are using this way! :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Merging Traffic.  How does NJ 3 get you on the free portion of I-95? Do you cut through the Sports Complex, or do you mean take NJ 21 to US 46?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: roadman65 on December 06, 2016, 11:11:22 PM
Merging Traffic.  How does NJ 3 get you on the free portion of I-95? Do you cut through the Sports Complex, or do you mean take NJ 21 to US 46?

Yeah I take NJ-3 to just before the merge with NJ-495 (way past the western spur on-ramp) and get on the service road by the Hilton. It dumps you on right before where this sign used to be

[/url]Ancient, non-reflective button copy for the NJ TPKE. NJ-495 EB. Secaucus, NJ. Sign may date to 1964 when the interchange was reconfigured. Note: the text US-46, as the tpke ended at US-46 rather than I-80. by mergingtraffic, on Flickr

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7815753,-74.0471383,3a,75y,166.38h,91.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sO8a95Rf5NKeuDEqnnRxlMA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

dgolub

Long Island to Albany: Hutchinson Parkway to I-684 to I-84 to Taconic Parkway

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 25, 2016, 02:19:17 PM
Quote from: froggie on July 27, 2010, 08:29:43 AM
Using that route, you'd have still paid a toll on I-95 in Delaware.  And the same route would have 3 tolls on the return trip north.

[ This is the revival of an old thread - thought it might be useful for some members. ]

Alternatives to paying the $4.00 (more for commercial vehicles) Delaware Turnpike tolls - in other words, how to shunpike the tolled part of the Delaware Turnpike - or how to avoid paying tolls on I-95 in Delaware).

DelDOT "doth protest" rather too loudly about toll revenue losses at its one toll point on the Delaware Turnpike:

USAToday: Delaware eyes truckers evading tolls on I-95

QuoteNEWARK, Del. – By year's end, truckers again could see cops on the lookout for Delaware Turnpike toll evaders along streets in this area, officials said.

QuoteThe state Department of Transportation stopped paying for heightened enforcement from Delaware State Police and Newark police in 2007, according to police agencies. New agreements are under discussion.

Quote"It was like as soon as we were gone, the truckers knew," Newark City Manager Carol Houck said. "Our guys just can't be out there all the time."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

7/8

I shunpiked the A-30 toll ($2.50) in Quebec today on my way home from the Eastern Townships. I took A-530 west to Exit 5 (QC 201 North, QC 132 East), continued straight on QC 201 (with some traffic lights) before reaching A-20 west. Google says it's only a few minutes longer, and now I can add A-530 to my travel mapping :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.