News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gratuitous use of curse / swear / vulgar words.

Started by bwana39, January 10, 2023, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2023, 10:51:23 AM
.... In the specific example of my son, he didn't understand that it was inappropriate to talk to a girl about certain parts of his body...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj2Lpw9Yeqw
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bugo

Quote from: roadman65 on January 10, 2023, 10:08:58 AM
If I do have to drop the F Bomb here, I will use *** between letters or once I remember using (censored).

I do know some that won't hold back and use including one user calling the Hypotenuse Diesel mechanic the Richard word for male genitalia during the day when ole Saab was trolling.

Richard Bullis?

bugo

Quote from: bandit957 on January 10, 2023, 10:38:20 AM
It's very, very, very rare that I've ever heard the F-word on over-the-air TV.

I remember Bono saying "fuck up the mainstream" on some music awards show on network TV in the 1990s. Which is hilarious, because U2 is as mainstream as it gets.

Quote from: bandit957 on January 10, 2023, 10:38:20 AM
It's rare even on cable.

I have heard several wrestlers say "fuck" on AEW Dynamite, a professional wrestling show. MJF called Tony Khan a "fucking mark" and Jon Moxley has dropped more than one F-bomb on TV. Dynamite is on TBS, a basic cable channel. Dynamite is a live TV show, and sometimes the wrestlers go off script and the producers don't catch it on time and it makes it to TV.

bugo

I used to work at a convenience store, and I cursed in front of customers all the time. You can usually tell who would and wouldn't be offended by it, and I only dropped F-bombs in front of regular customers who I knew and I heard use similar language in front of me. One day a regular was checking out and he was talking about something and he said "shit". I replied "Don't you fucking be cursing in my fucking store!" He cracked up laughing. You have to know who you can and can't say it around.

bugo

Quote from: roadman65 on January 10, 2023, 12:24:51 PM
I heard a guy swear out loud in a restaurant. It was after 10pm and a family with kids came in, in which the guy was swearing against the chagrin of the parents. The manager asked the guy politely to tone it down and he went off saying kids should be in bed after 9 pm and it was the parents fault for taking them out past their bedtime.

Then three drunk guys were at another bar swearing out loud where they got me offended. Usually swearing don't bother me but these guys were doing it too much and too loudly. Not to mention either swearing at Beaumont, TX or a person they new with the Beaumont surname several times got my attention.  The manager ended up throwing the guys out, but refused to leave resulting in the cops being called. However they left before the cops came, but banned from the establishment. It's not what you say, but how say it is what got me offended.

Quit letting every little inconsequential thing offend you. The problem with the world today is that everybody is too easily offended. Some of them believe they have the right to not be offended, and this right is sacrosanct and must be upheld over everything else including the freedom of speech. If you quit letting petty things that don't matter offend you, I promise you that you'll be happier and your stress level will be lower.

bugo

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 10, 2023, 01:19:14 PM
Yes, I think there is way too much cursing in general now.  I am not saying I am perfect and don't swear.  I don't like putting swear words in writing so that's why I keep this forum clean.  I do try sometimes to tone it down, and frankly I wish I would stop entirely. 

Meh, they're just words. They only only offend you if you let them. There's a time and a place to use vulgarities, and there are times and places that you should never utter them. You have to know your audience and be able to read the room. Don't let unimportant things bother you so much.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bugo on April 14, 2023, 04:55:26 AM
Yes, I think there is way too much cursing in general now.  I am not saying I am perfect and don't swear.  I don't like putting swear words in writing so that's why I keep this forum clean.  I do try sometimes to tone it down, and frankly I wish I would stop entirely. 

Meh, they're just words. They only only offend you if you let them. There's a time and a place to use vulgarities, and there are times and places that you should never utter them. You have to know your audience and be able to read the room. Don't let unimportant things bother you so much.

I don't see how anyone could not be offended when someone says "fuck you" directly to their face.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on April 14, 2023, 05:26:18 AM

I don't see how anyone could not be offended when someone says "fuck you" directly to their face.
I never say it, but I find the phrase so nonsensical that I find it funny when someone has to resort to using it because they've run out of logical things to say.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on April 14, 2023, 06:54:46 AM

I never say it, but I find the phrase so nonsensical that I find it funny when someone has to resort to using it because they've run out of logical things to say.

What I don't understand is how some people think that by using that phrase, they've somehow scored some significant point or achieved some sort of victory over you in an argument. So you used a profanity. So what?

As far as "they're just words".... (those who are offended by profanity, or who are in a location where playing a video loaded with profanity would be inappropriate, should not play the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1_UuXN4SfE
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Exactly.  The "they're just words" crowd doesn't seem to grasp how language works.  Different words have different connotations;  this is a baked-in feature of language.  Some words have offensive connotations.  If you choose to use those words and expect people to not be offended, then you're bad at choosing your words.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Amaury

Quote from: 1 on April 14, 2023, 05:26:18 AMI don't see how anyone could not be offended when someone says "fuck you" directly to their face.

They can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think their point might have been that for some, yes, it could be offensive, but the mature thing to do would be to just ignore it and move on, especially if it's a stranger. It's not worth it to get it into an argument over it.

Context also matters. I have plenty of friends that I say "fuck you" to and, likewsie, they'll say it back, but we're just joking around with each other. It's not being done in the mean way, to put it one way.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2023, 02:32:49 PM

Exactly.  The "they're just words" crowd doesn't seem to grasp how language works.  Different words have different connotations;  this is a baked-in feature of language.  Some words have offensive connotations.  If you choose to use those words and expect people to not be offended, then you're bad at choosing your words.
I don't think the TJWs expect people not to be offended, they just don't care if they are or not.

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Daniel Moraseski is a xenophobic tushy jester.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

It depends on context. I've had good friends say much worst than that to me, but we both knew they were joking. If somebody said it to me seriously and I didn't respect this person, I would just laugh and make fun of them. In most cases, I wouldn't get mad over that. I might get mad at other things, but "fuck you" wouldn't piss me off by itself.

bugo

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 14, 2023, 03:57:56 PM
I don't think the TJWs expect people not to be offended, they just don't care if they are or not.

What is a TJW? I've never heard that term.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bugo on April 15, 2023, 03:12:57 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on April 14, 2023, 03:57:56 PM

Likely an abbreviation of "they're just words" mentioned above.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

bugo

Quote from: 1 on April 15, 2023, 03:25:53 PM
Quote from: bugo on April 15, 2023, 03:12:57 PM
Likely an abbreviation of "they're just words" mentioned above.
[/quote]

That's a weird phrase to use as a noun.

ethanhopkin14

I agree, there is a time and a place.  People used to abide by them.  That is my problem, people don't do it anymore.  Thats why I have an issue.  I will never see them as just words.  They are vulgar for a reason.  I don't care what company I am in, I will never be okay with hearing a loud F-bomb.  It for the most part rowels me up.

It's no different than if someone says, "did you just spill something on my floor?" when you are in their kitchen.  Yes, the sentence is "trivial", but using "my" when "the" would more than suffice means they are getting territorial, and I will know this guy wants to fight, and I can't help that the deliberate choice of words angers me.  Thats how curse words work.  People say them to initiate certain emotions from others and use them because they want to be vulgar about something.  I frankly don't want to hear that or be a part of their little game of awaking emotions out of the minions. 

Scott5114

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 20, 2023, 11:24:33 AM
People say them to initiate certain emotions from others and use them because they want to be vulgar about something.  I frankly don't want to hear that or be a part of their little game of awaking emotions out of the minions. 

As someone who uses a fair amount of profanity, this is just straight up wrong. I've never sat there and been like "I'll say fuck in this sentence because I want to be vulgar", I say it because I want to show the intensity of my own opinion. If someone else is riled up by the fact I feel strongly about something, that kind of says more about them than it does me because people are allowed to feel strongly about things in American society.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2023, 05:21:44 PM
As someone who uses a fair amount of profanity, this is just straight up wrong. I've never sat there and been like "I'll say fuck in this sentence because I want to be vulgar", I say it because I want to show the intensity of my own opinion. If someone else is riled up by the fact I feel strongly about something, that kind of says more about them than it does me because people are allowed to feel strongly about things in American society.

As I said, that just means you're bad at choosing your words.  When you make the decision to use words that are offensive to a lot of people, then don't be surprised when some people are offended by what you say.  If you expect people to not be offended, then choose less-offensive words to express the intensity of your opinion.  The English language has a wealth of vocabulary;  take advantage of it.

Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Poor diction not only can cause offense, but people thinking less of your intelligence.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

Are you shitting me, Goddammit, we don't need of that fucking language here.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2023, 07:17:21 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2023, 05:21:44 PM

As I said, that just means you're bad at choosing your words.  When you make the decision to use words that are offensive to a lot of people, then don't be surprised when some people are offended by what you say.  If you expect people to not be offended, then choose less-offensive words to express the intensity of your opinion.  The English language has a wealth of vocabulary;  take advantage of it.

Usually, if I get that strong of a reaction to a swear word, I take it as a signal that is someone I probably shouldn't keep too close to me anyway. If someone is going to be offended by my using the word fuck, then they're probably going to be offended by any number of a long list of things about me that are more important aspects of me than my word choice (like my political opinions, my lack of religious belief, my sexual orientation, my choice of hobbies ...), so better to just nip it in the bud and let their offense over word choice flag them for self-exclusion. Likewise, if someone is willing to judge my intelligence level based on my word choice, that's someone who is only going to cause me problems if they think I'm smart.

Of course, I moderate myself when I'm in a semi-formal setting like doing a business transaction or interacting with a government official or something like that. But I also don't feel like I'm being myself in that kind of situation, either; I'm running formal_interaction.exe over top of my regular programming.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 21, 2023, 02:01:20 AM
Of course, I moderate myself when I'm in a semi-formal setting like doing a business transaction or interacting with a government official or something like that. But I also don't feel like I'm being myself in that kind of situation, either; I'm running formal_interaction.exe over top of my regular programming.

Not swearing at all means I don't have to worry about moderating myself and feeling different when there are expectations of cleaner language.  Always fun to be in a meeting where someone lets one go and then apologizes.

Then again, the most interesting situation I found myself in was eating at a decent restaurant in DC with a foul-mouthed sales rep who was also loud.  The waitstaff "pushed" us to get us out of there, which hadn't happened on any of my other visits to it (it was right across from my office).  The guy was the loudest person in the room, so it was assumed his language was the reason why we got shuffled out there post haste.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.