News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US DOT Marine Highway Corridors

Started by kurumi, August 12, 2010, 07:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

http://www.marad.dot.gov/ships_shipping_landing_page/mhi_home/mhi_home.htm

"These all-water routes consist of 11 Corridors, 4 Connectors and 3 Crossings that can serve as extensions of the surface transportation system.  These corridors identify routes where water transportation presents an opportunity to offer relief to landside corridors that suffer from traffic congestion, excessive air emissions or other environmental concerns and other challenges."

There's a map at the above link. Marine highways include:

M-A1 (Alaska)
M-2 (Puerto Rico)
M-5, M-84, M-580 (West coast)
M-10, M-49, M-40, M-55, M-65, M-70 (Miss. River and Gulf)
M-90, M-75, M-71/77 (Great Lakes) - M-90 has three parts
M-95, M-64, M-87 (East coast)

All intersections will likely be at grade.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheStranger

Interesting that it's M-580 and not M-80 for the Bay Area route...I would think that the Marin-Oakland corridor isn't quite as busy as the SF-Oakland corridor, though I know both routes have ferries.

US 9 and US 10 represent actual signed routes on ferries...would this concept be similar?
Chris Sampang

Bickendan

The map suggests M-580 heads to Sacramento, so is the number suggestive of a combination of I-5 and I-80 as opposed to say I-580?

Note that the spur to Portland is M-84, though. M-80 might've made more sense. Also, M-84 should technically go all the way to the Tri-Cities...

I do like that M-5 seems to be I-5's counterpart... and goes all the way to essentially Anchorage.

WillWeaverRVA

M-95 is the same way. In fact, all the marine highways are numbered after a nearby interstate highway. The only exception is M-2, which has no equivalent, although it would fit in the grid if one of the Puerto Rico interstates somehow became I-2 instead.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Bickendan

oscar

When Alaska applied in 1960 for Interstates of its own, one of its proposed routes was the Alaska Marine Highway System mainline through SE Alaska's "Inside Passage."  The Bureau of Public Roads (FHWA's predecessor) blew off this suggestion, apparently couldn't get behind the concept of a liquid Interstate.'

However, that and other ferry routes did get designations as Federal Aid Primary highways.  I think the mainline Inside Passage route was FAP 95.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Bickendan on August 14, 2010, 05:42:59 AM
Well, technically...

I saw that, but the spur route in Alaska is M-A1. The route in Puerto Rico is simply M-2. :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

NE2

Quote from: TheStranger on August 13, 2010, 02:18:52 AM
Interesting that it's M-580 and not M-80 for the Bay Area route...I would think that the Marin-Oakland corridor isn't quite as busy as the SF-Oakland corridor, though I know both routes have ferries.

US 9 and US 10 represent actual signed routes on ferries...would this concept be similar?

No. This is almost certainly primarily for freight. 580 is still a strange number, however.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

andytom

Quote from: Bickendan on August 13, 2010, 04:05:12 AMNote that the spur to Portland is M-84, though. ... Also, M-84 should technically go all the way to the Tri-Cities...

It does.  From the accompanying description documentation it actually goes all the way up the Columbia River and Snake River to Lewiston, ID.

--Andy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.