News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is Countertrolling a Troll The Answer

Started by roadman65, March 08, 2023, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on March 09, 2023, 05:19:26 PM
Has anyone tried the ignore user feature? It lets you ignore people you put on the list. I've used it with other users and their posts show up with an ignore mention.  Instead of the content it reminds you that you have chosen to ignore them but you can click on the blue show me the post if you want to override the block.

Bear in mind you still see that person's comments if other people quote them. That doesn't happen as often with the one user I have on ignore (bluecountry), but if you put MMM on ignore, you're still likely to see his rants quoted in other people's posts. That's part of the reason why I only have one user on ignore. Actually, I had another user on the list, but he got banned (Crash_It).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2023, 05:22:13 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 09, 2023, 05:19:26 PM
Has anyone tried the ignore user feature? It lets you ignore people you put on the list. I've used it with other users and their posts show up with an ignore mention.  Instead of the content it reminds you that you have chosen to ignore them but you can click on the blue show me the post if you want to override the block.

Bear in mind you still see that person's comments if other people quote them. That doesn't happen as often with the one user I have on ignore (bluecountry), but if you put MMM on ignore, you're still likely to see his rants quoted in other people's posts. That's part of the reason why I only have one user on ignore. Actually, I had another user on the list, but he got banned (Crash_It).
What does bluecountry do
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

And, let's be honest, half the reason we quote his posts is so that they will live in infamy even if he deletes them later.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2023, 05:24:36 PM
And, let's be honest, half the reason we quote his posts is so that they will live in infamy even if he deletes them later.

Actually, anyone can claim quotes were edited, but that wasn't the reason anyway. It was my own little OCD thing, not trying to hide them. Interesting Thread...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 05:27:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2023, 05:24:36 PM

Actually, anyone can claim quotes were edited, but that wasn't the reason anyway. It was my own little OCD thing, not trying to hide them. Interesting Thread...
Yeah very interesting thread. You've literally created a forum crisis with how the rules won't stop you. Congrats I guess, it seems like you have been able to cleverly not break any rule while pissing us all off. Good job.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MultiMillionMiler

No, but it is funny how there are more threads talking about me than threads I actually post in. That wasn't my intention at all. I got 2 warnings months ago so I am not exempt from the rules. Yes, I did post 64 times in one day I admit, but it wasn't all random.

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 05:33:25 PM
No, but it is funny how there are more threads talking about me than threads I actually post in.

I can assure you nobody is laughing. Except you, maybe.

Perhaps this thread will give you an idea of what sort of reputation you've made yourself here.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MultiMillionMiler

Random Thoughts
Minor Things that Bother You
Don't talk about Child Abuse here
California Speed Limit Raises

And a few others that I hardly posted in, or haven't in months.

I hope by reputation you people don't mean like I'm going to be compared to FritzOwl and Ananland for years to come. I try to keep a low profile on the internet while also getting my points across. I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt that most users will forget about me within 6 months from now.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 05:47:59 PM
Random Thoughts
Minor Things that Bother You
Don't talk about Child Abuse here
California Speed Limit Raises

And a few others that I hardly posted in, or haven't in months.

I hope by reputation you people don't mean like I'm going to be compared to FritzOwl and Ananland for years to come. I try to keep a low profile on the internet while also getting my points across. I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt that most users will forget about me within 6 months from now.
LOW PROFILE? Oh my sweet summer child...

MultiMillionMiler

Well no more than average, but it probably drop to low when I get a job and stop using the forum as frequently. I hope I didn't leave a lasting impression is what I'm saying, not necessarily at this moment.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 06:12:43 PM
Well no more than average, but it probably drop to low when I get a job and stop using the forum as frequently. I hope I didn't leave a lasting impression is what I'm saying, not necessarily at this moment.
Unfortunately, you have already left a lasting impression.

MultiMillionMiler

But that will fizzle out after about 4-6 months I assume, it's not like I post as much as FritzOwl. Nowhere near 10,000.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 06:16:00 PM
But that will fizzle out after about 4-6 months I assume, it's not like I post as much as FritzOwl. Nowhere near 10,000.
You are at about 2/3 of FritzOwl's post count in about a decade less time. And trust me, even several years down the line people will still be like "hey, remember that MMM guy". Ethanman62187 was on the forum for less than a year and people still remember him. 

jeffandnicole

If you delete 8,000 posts, it still means you posted 10,000 times even if you count doesn't show it.

MultiMillionMiler

What did the EthanMan do that everyone talks about him so much. Just that VA 28/I-366 85 mph speed limit thing?

Scott5114

But that will fizzle out after about 4-6 months I assume

This community still makes fun of Carl Rogers's US-31W video that was published in 2007...........
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 06:21:51 PM
What did the EthanMan do that everyone talks about him so much. Just that VA 28/I-366 85 mph speed limit thing?
He apparenty got banned for using the purple text pretending to be a mod. I was 8 years old at the time so I wouldn't know.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 09, 2023, 03:40:57 PM
Than an even stranger member joined a few months afterwards and behaved even more bizzare. We both are somehow still on the forum and have cleaned up significantly.

:wave:

Roadgeekteen

Also, it has been over 24 hours, so MMM's off topic thread should be unlocked by now.

webny99

Just FYI, you've made more posts *today* (33) than FritzOwl has made *this year* (30).

To that point, we're talking about your behavior here and now, not in the future. There's no point in trying to project what other people will think about you in 4-6 months, because you're essentially just projecting your own behavior. What anyone thinks then depends entirely on your posting behavior in that time period, and that's up to you, not anyone else.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on March 09, 2023, 06:40:10 PM

Just FYI, you've made more posts *today* (33) than FritzOwl has made *this year* (30).

To that point, we're talking about your behavior here and now, not in the future. There's no point in trying to project what other people will think about you in 4-6 months, because you're essentially just projecting your own behavior. What anyone thinks then depends entirely on your posting behavior in that time period, and that's up to you, not anyone else.
I think that the ship has sailed on him being forgotten. If I were him, the best way to turn around his reputation would probably be to stay on the forum and post content that people enjoy people. If he turns into a normal user, in a while we won't assotiate him with this anymore.

kalvado

Now my trollie is raiding a thread discussing his ban... Trollie deserves a cup of ramen and a silver coin!

MultiMillionMiler

I spied on both of these threads yesterday, just didn't feel like saying anything until now.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 07:21:24 PM
I spied on both of these threads yesterday, just didn't feel like saying anything until now.
I wouldn't want to talk either at my public shaming.

MultiMillionMiler

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.