News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is Countertrolling a Troll The Answer

Started by roadman65, March 08, 2023, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 07:21:24 PM
I spied on both of these threads yesterday, just didn't feel like saying anything until now.

What? You've posted here a bunch today, including once just over an hour ago:
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 06:21:51 PM

Roadgeekteen

I think he's counting an hour ago as "now"

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on March 09, 2023, 07:33:32 PM
You've posted here a bunch today.

No kidding. I have issued a temporary block in accordance with the 32/day post limit. Let's all take a break for the next 48 hours, shall we?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 09, 2023, 07:38:14 PM

No kidding. I have issued a temporary block in accordance with the 32/day post limit. Let's all take a break for the next 48 hours, shall we?

I hope it is ok to post the following in honor of that suggestion:

:cheers:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2023, 08:04:42 PM

The forum should be a lot calmer now. Here is too a more relaxing next 2 days!  :cheers:

JoePCool14

Dang, I take a step away from the forum for a few days and I miss out on this sorely overdue thread.

Whatever my two cents are worth here, I think now is indeed the time to take some action. Because I'm personally tired of MMM's posts, just like I was tired of Crash_It's posts. His posts ruin the threads he makes them in, in most cases. His opinions are so off-the-wall and there's almost zero reasoning with him on them. At least Crash_It contained his postings to stuff about Illinois and Wisconsin, making him more of a regional issue. Same went with tolbs when he was still around except in North Carolina. But MMM is all over the place, and posts so darn much in a single day.

I've tried to take a "don't feed the trolls" approach since Crash_It's final return and demise. Engaging with users like him or MMM is just unpleasant, and I don't come here for that. I come here for the people who are sensible in their thoughts, contribute valuable information, and/or I can share a mutual respect with in regards to our roadgeek interests. I think this is the mindset we should all take, whether it be MMM or some future troll user. Don't assume every new member is a troll, but if they display the typical characteristics of one, well...

Anyway, I think if no one engaged and used the Ignore feature, that would effectively be a community ban and I'm in favor of using this method in very specific cases like here. But that's not going to happen, since not 100 percent of active users are likely to ignore him.

Maybe we do need community consensus moderation in select instances. I'm talking a "super-super-majority" needed to take action (75%, or at the bare minimum 67%).

Finally, I'll always support user growth. I'm very different than I was in 2013 when I joined. It would be hypocritical of me not to be forgiving. So maybe "troll" bans should only be for a year at a time as opposed to permanent, in order to allow for potential redemption.

Let's continue to find proper solutions in situations like these.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

As much as a gift this is, I'm honestly hoping he gets the hint and doesn't come back. 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

After 25+ years in this community...
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 09, 2023, 08:43:33 PM

As much as a gift this is, I'm honestly hoping he gets the hint and doesn't come back.
Or he comes back a changed man with a job. Maybe he should use the 2 day break to apply for a job.

Molandfreak

Now can we get a rule against derailing fictional discussions just because the proposal won't happen? Not everyone shares the same views about what's worth discussing and what's not. The copy/paste "grid needs fixing"  stuff might be worthy of some derision since it's been done to death, but not (for instance) a discussion about what could've happened if more of San Francisco's freeway network was built.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 09, 2023, 08:05:44 PM

The forum should be a lot calmer now. Here is too a more relaxing next 2 days!  :cheers:
I can't believe how the threads he's in all have moved down the list when you open up fictional and off topic.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 09, 2023, 06:23:05 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 09, 2023, 06:16:00 PM
But that will fizzle out after about 4-6 months I assume

This community still makes fun of Carl Rogers's US-31W video that was published in 2007...........

Struck through the redundant verbiage.  :-D

I was very close to the site of that video on Saturday. I didn't think to look to see if a new shrub had been planted to replace the one that had been removed that he immortalized in that little production.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: MultiDozenMiler on March 09, 2023, 05:47:59 PM
I hope by reputation you people don't mean like I'm going to be compared to FritzOwl

When the majority of your posts are in Fictional Highways, when you have pie-in-the-sky ideas for putting Interstates all over the place, when you claim non-Interstate highways are dangerous, when you patently refuse to accept criticism of your so-called plans except on the rarest of occasions, when you post pieces of the map without ever showing us how the whole thing looks as a whole, when you have little else to contribute to the forum, when your schlock quickly contaminated multiple threads to the point that others attempted to contain your blather–honestly, it's hard to imagine anyone more fitting for comparison to FritzOwl than you.

And, hey, at least FritzOwl used other people's fictional plans as a basis for his own;  you, on the other hand, seem more like a two-year-old with a box of crayons.  At least FritzOwl took direction and contains his plans to his own special thread;  you, on the other hand, appear less capable of containing yourself.  At least FritzOwl simply ignores criticism, even if that sometimes gets irritating;  you, on the other hand, return fire with fire every single time and blow up the forum with heated arguments about stuff that's all in your imagination anyway.  If FritzOwl is a troll, then at least he stays under his bridge.  You're more like a troll in a china shop.

Quote from: MultiDozenMiler on March 09, 2023, 05:47:59 PM
I try to keep a low profile on the internet while also getting my points across.

If that's what you're trying to do, then you have failed miserably at it thus far.  You are the highest-profile member on this forum.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

I caught him deleting a post. He was told by an MOD to knock it off post ban on his thread, then I asked him how is he still posting as MMM replied to the knock it off. As soon as I asked my question, his post just vanished.

He must of deleted it when I typed my question or my android is acting up and cross posting on its own.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Hobart

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 10, 2023, 06:45:28 PM
The forum without MMM:

I will say, the only thing I will miss is the large presence of Legend of Zelda CDi clips on this forum. All we need now is a good excuse to post ones from Hotel Mario.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Roadgeekteen

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 10, 2023, 09:11:58 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 10, 2023, 06:45:28 PM
The forum without MMM:

He'll be back soon unfortunately

Are you really going to make me dig up what's next on the Zelda CDi memes?

MultiMillionMiler

@RoadGeekTeen, yeah, and? Do they know my full name, exact location, what I look like, my birthday, or even what car I drive? If not, I could meet all those people in person and they wouldn't know I am MMM from AARoads Forum, yep I've totally been doxed into public embarrassment  :-D

@roadman 65, I didn't delete any posts. One I accidentally posted only the quote. I must have refreshed  the screen by accident so the text I typed underneath disappeared, so I retype it. My post count has gone from 1875 to 2060 continuously without any deletions. I will respect the mods request.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 11, 2023, 07:43:46 PM
@RoadGeekTeen, yeah, and? Do they know my full name, exact location, what I look like, my birthday, or even what car I drive? If not, I could meet all those people in person and they wouldn't know I am MMM from AARoads Forum, yep I've totally been doxed into public embarrassment  :-D

I know your first and last name. I will not reveal it on the forums.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

MultiMillionMiler

I know, and I wouldn't post any names either (not that I know any), but people could probably find that out anyway. The links I post that display my maps are all from 1 website that I upload them to first. That site contains the email address as well. And simply sending an email to that address would say "To [insert name here]" anyway. So in terms of that I technically made it easier to dox myself.

JoePCool14

I can't tell if MMM was banned or if the admins just reset his post count to zero.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 11, 2023, 10:34:03 PM
I can't tell if MMM was banned or if the admins just reset his post count to zero.

Too much to hope for a perma-ban?

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 11, 2023, 10:34:03 PM

A smoking gun has been shared with us that MMM is a sockpuppet of Mike2357. He has therefore been permanently banned. 
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.