News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Is Countertrolling a Troll The Answer

Started by roadman65, March 08, 2023, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 11, 2023, 11:54:57 PM

I've had those vibes for a while but for a different reason. I'm not allowed to say what the reason is, however.

I've seen a number of people make similar statements. Frankly, this makes no sense to me.

There aren't national security secrets or legally enforceable nondisclosure agreements at play here. Nothing is keeping you from sharing your insight. Why even announce that you have it if you aren't willing to share it?

"Ha ha ha, I've got a secret and I'm not telling!" is the vibe this gives off.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

In this case, the reasons would be:
1) Divulging the reason you knew MMM was sockpuppeting, in a place where he could read it, would just mean he'd know how to avoid tipping us off next time.
2) Perhaps the reason Max doesn't want to say anything is because he thinks it could be interpreted as unkind or insulting.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

I think that was 1 quote came from originally?  I definitely would have been less nice about the situation considering the chaos caused by MMM.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 12, 2023, 09:31:12 PM
I think that was 1 quote came from originally?  I definitely would have been less nice about the situation considering the chaos caused by MMM.

The line that HB quoted actually came from jmacswimmer, but your quote tags didn't post correctly, so it looked like it was from you.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2023, 09:09:14 PM
1) Divulging the reason you knew MMM was sockpuppeting, in a place where he could read it, would just mean he'd know how to avoid tipping us off next time.

Hence my proposal for creating a new private board.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2023, 09:09:14 PM

Is that a bad thing though?  If he wants to come back as a different, improved person, no one will be the wiser; he will be welcomed, and we will all move on our merry ways. 

If he wanted to post well thought out, insightful posts for several months, then suddenly be an ass, that's on him.

Scott5114

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 12, 2023, 10:20:15 PM
Is that a bad thing though?  If he wants to come back as a different, improved person, no one will be the wiser; he will be welcomed, and we will all move on our merry ways. 

If he wants to be a different, improved person, there's no need to ban him.
If he wants to be an ass next time around, it would be nice if we didn't teach him how to cover his tracks. Then, at least, he's more likely to fuck up and get caught faster.

roadman65

I wonder if he came up with many of those far out stories to throw us off the track.  And the fact some of them he would tell and we caught him lying as he would say later on that he is against what he previously was for.

Maybe those were the lies. As when we lie and tell stories about ourselves we forget later on what we said and when in a heated argument the real truth or alternative version comes out.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CNGL-Leudimin

I once managed to troll a troll elsewhere by using a fictional sign posted here :sombrero:.

I'm surprised MMM wasn't discovered to be a sock puppet and banned earlier.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2023, 09:52:05 PM

The line that HB quoted actually came from jmacswimmer, but your quote tags didn't post correctly, so it looked like it was from you.

It was actually from me. The quotation is messed up as pasted further up the thread. Here's a link to the original, from a now-locked thread:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32429.msg2786516#msg2786516

The reason I said "I'm not allowed to say" was that the moderators had deleted at least one, if not more, of my posts in another thread commenting about the sort of thing that had been making me suspect something was up. Based on that, I concluded (reasonably, in my view) that it was not something we were allowed to say. It was not an issue of the "moderator protection" phenomenon some of us have observed as to NE2 and kernals12, however.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 13, 2023, 07:40:00 AM

It was actually from me. The quotation is messed up as pasted further up the thread. Here's a link to the original, from a now-locked thread:

The reason I said "I'm not allowed to say" was that the moderators had deleted at least one, if not more, of my posts in another thread commenting about the sort of thing that had been making me suspect something was up. Based on that, I concluded (reasonably, in my view) that it was not something we were allowed to say. It was not an issue of the "moderator protection" phenomenon some of us have observed as to NE2 and kernals12, however.

I remembered you being another person who'd said that you weren't allowed to disclose something.

In the case of this one, I try to trim quotes so as to prevent long gray boxes before coming to original content or a reply. I mess them up sometimes, and I apologize for that.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

QuoteSo yeah, the topics I was totally trolling about were:

Star Trek/Sexual Stuff
Atomic Clock Scams/Physics
Helicopter Grapple Hook Ideas
Local route 37 mph speed limit
Speed camera suggestions
Giant Fans to assist drivers on curves
NYC not being on the East Coast
Physics/Relativity comments
I-90 being bootleg/Cargo Plane routes
Car/Boat combination type vehicles
Obsessing over mild curves in roads

And the Serious ones were:

Comments Against Child Abuse
Climate Change Comments
Most of my Fictional Highway Plans
Enhanced Road Test Requirements
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on March 13, 2023, 10:55:09 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 13, 2023, 07:40:00 AM

I remembered you being another person who'd said that you weren't allowed to disclose something.

In the case of this one, I try to trim quotes so as to prevent long gray boxes before coming to original content or a reply. I mess them up sometimes, and I apologize for that.

It was Max Rockatansky who mixed it up, not you, and he understandably didn't use quote boxes for that material because it comes from a locked thread. No worries either way, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

If we got all mixed up on 3/11, that would have been perfect.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

I think we are all in a state of shock. We thought this kid was just ridiculous and to hear he was someone else who trolled here before adds a new light on his identity.

We all we annoyed, sure, by this troll. Yet it got our attention and to some it amused us his rebuttals he would give when we either responded sarcastically or critically to his insane ideas. So we now are going through a slight adjustment period to get back to normal.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

See, I don't know if MMM was trolling or really didn't have full a perspective on how/why his actions might piss everyone off.  The timing was kind of interesting given MMM was just ramping up as Lord Carhorn was being given the boot.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on March 13, 2023, 01:04:10 PM
If we got all mixed up on 3/11, that would have been perfect.

But I don't know what to do. Next thing I turn around...

jeffandnicole

There was a few occasions I tried to call him out.  Obviously it was my own opinion, but people were just way too caught up in his words to sit back and think...could he really be trolling us?

Once was...
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32635.msg2802707#msg2802707
Specifically: "There really isn't anything that MMM says that I don't think he's exaggerating one way or another."

I also questioned him here:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33014.msg2825170#msg2825170
Who says MMM is 23?  Him, and only him.  He could be 17 and ticked he can't rent a hotel room for his upcoming prom.

Sadly, I think others more so silently questioned *me* as to my accusation.

I also never knew what to make of the Category 5 Hurricane comment I lobbed at him.  After his many comments regarding the speed limit being prime numbers, he never once responded to my statement that a Category 5 minimum wind speed is...a prime number.  The only response he gave was questioning why it was such an odd speed when the other category levels are more standard level changes (at 5s or 0s).  I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't pounce on such an opportunity to talk about prime numbers when such a significant one exists in the weather world.

JayhawkCO

Guys, I'm pretty sure we can let this die. He was a turd. He's gone now. Let's get on with our bickering about things that aren't punk kids with nothing better to do.

Max Rockatansky

Yeah, but I'm kind of okay with kicking dirt on his forum tombstone here for awhile.  You reap what you sow when act like a fool. 

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 13, 2023, 04:40:14 PM
Yeah, but I'm kind of okay with kicking dirt on his forum tombstone here for awhile.  You reap what you sow when act like a fool.

I've probably gotten my share of dirt kicking out of my system. This thread is his public eulogy, a eulogy I guarantee he is reading. We'll all get it out of our system soon.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on March 13, 2023, 04:52:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 13, 2023, 04:40:14 PM

I've probably gotten my share of dirt kicking out of my system. This thread is his public eulogy, a eulogy I guarantee he is reading. We'll all get it out of our system soon.

Usually this kind of thing runs its course in due time.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I got some enjoyment out of the downfall of Flat Illinois and Lord Carhorn. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on March 13, 2023, 11:50:43 AM
QuoteSo yeah, the topics I was totally trolling about were:

Star Trek/Sexual Stuff
Atomic Clock Scams/Physics
Helicopter Grapple Hook Ideas
Local route 37 mph speed limit
Speed camera suggestions
Giant Fans to assist drivers on curves
NYC not being on the East Coast
Physics/Relativity comments
I-90 being bootleg/Cargo Plane routes
Car/Boat combination type vehicles
Obsessing over mild curves in roads

And the Serious ones were:

Comments Against Child Abuse
Climate Change Comments
Most of my Fictional Highway Plans
Enhanced Road Test Requirements
1, how did you get this quote? Was this posted on the forum?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on March 13, 2023, 01:28:12 PM
I think we are all in a state of shock. We thought this kid was just ridiculous and to hear he was someone else who trolled here before adds a new light on his identity.

Eh, I'm not. I even accidentally posted a reply to him once addressing him as "Mike" without thinking about it, before realizing what I did and going back to edit it out. I should have listened to whatever part of my brain made me do that, I guess.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 13, 2023, 05:07:48 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 13, 2023, 01:28:12 PM

Eh, I'm not. I even accidentally posted a reply to him once addressing him as "Mike" without thinking about it, before realizing what I did and going back to edit it out. I should have listened to whatever part of my brain made me do that, I guess.
I'm certainly shook. Wasn't on the forum when Mike was here, and I was actually talking to MMM like he was a real person just with crazy ideas, trying to take him seriously and help him understand. Now I know that he's just a troll.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.