News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is Countertrolling a Troll The Answer

Started by roadman65, March 08, 2023, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on March 15, 2023, 04:38:16 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 15, 2023, 03:23:05 PM
"Calrog"  for some reason to me sounds like a chain of local fried chicken places.  I have no idea how that pops into my head as an association when see that name.

It reminds me of Caldor, so I just think of being dragged shopping for clothes as a kid while enduring shitty elevator versions of Steely Dan blasting thru their PA.

I picture two things:  (1) a little green shrub and (2) a Balrog like the one that lived in the Mines of Moria.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

I remember Caldor. They couldn't compete with Walmart or Target. Bradlees were another in Caldors market that flopped. Of course Sears and JC Penney fell and Kmart died a slow miserable death.

Though Kmart fall was not due to Walmart. Just bad brass.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hbelkins on March 15, 2023, 02:35:22 PM
Let's take a moment to flash back to two infamous MTR personalities, Randy Hersh and Carl Rogers.

There's no doubt that Randy had some expertise in roadly matters. But in my view -- possibly because I was a target of his rants quite frequently -- any goodwill he may have generated by being a knowledgeable contributor was more than offset by his trolling, boorish behavior. He created new Usenet accounts faster than his old ones could be plonked. He knew he was trolling, and he did it provocatively and openly. After awhile, I quit engaging him and would plonk any new iteration that showed up.

As for Calrog, I'm not sure if he was a true believer, sly like a fox, or genuinely a true believer in the BS he spewed. He breathlessly announced every single picture he posted, and even hired PRWeb to send press releases for some of his updates. His entire site didn't contain as many photos as pics from just one of my trips. I don't know if he really believed that US routes are federal routes or if he just kept that schtick up after being called on it so many times.

The "Operation Silence The Troll" idea came from someone who felt it would be best to just ignore him; to not give him the attention he seemed to crave. I don't think it really worked. He kept on pimping his meager updates, but no one responded.

Those of you who were never on MTR in its prime missed out. Randy and Calrog made MMM and Dzlsabe look like rank amateurs.

I hung out on MTR and a few other usenet sites from the mid 90s to the mid 2000s, and it was like the wild west on all of them since there was no moderation.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2023, 04:43:14 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 15, 2023, 04:38:16 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 15, 2023, 03:23:05 PM
"Calrog"  for some reason to me sounds like a chain of local fried chicken places.  I have no idea how that pops into my head as an association when see that name.

It reminds me of Caldor, so I just think of being dragged shopping for clothes as a kid while enduring shitty elevator versions of Steely Dan blasting thru their PA.

I picture two things:  (1) a little green shrub and (2) a Balrog like the one that lived in the Mines of Moria.

Or that one that could have been several different characters in Street Fighter II depending on the region you lived at.

Rothman

I just remember a video of a twit standing in a gore and someone Photoshopping a CFI truck running him over.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on March 15, 2023, 12:34:53 PM
I'm surprised that this topic is still alive.  It should have died already, but I give it a few more days for the ole padlock.

Why would it be locked? I don't believe any rules have been broken.

Rothman

Isn't there some rule against blabbing about one particular forum member?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on March 16, 2023, 08:31:51 AM

I don't think he's a member anymore...

kalvado

Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2023, 08:55:09 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 16, 2023, 08:31:51 AM

I don't think he's a member anymore...
DSTaboo, though.

zzcarp

I know I'm coming back late to this party thread (having posted on Page 1), but I think the mods did the correct thing here. While I disagreed with many of MMM's opinions and suggestions, they did seem to be mostly in the realm of roadgeekery. In my opinion, he even made some good points (just not about the straightness of turnpikes). Dumb opinions need to be allowed too. Personally, I'm sure I've had at least 5 of them since breakfast. Just because you think someone is wrong doesn't mean they should be banned. Holding the ban hammer until an actual violation of the rules (having a duplicate account) seemed to be the correct thing.

I don't think having some grand rule about "being an a$$hole" is going to solve anything for the future. I assert few of us go to a post and say, "how can I be a jerk here today." But in discussions, people get heated, so mistakes will be made. But I think we should commend Scott and the other admins for the light touch in this situation.

So many miles and so many roads

kphoger

Quote from: zzcarp on March 16, 2023, 01:50:48 PM
Just because you think someone is wrong doesn't mean they should be banned. Holding the ban hammer until an actual violation of the rules (having a duplicate account) seemed to be the correct thing.

I don't think any of us has suggested that he should have been banned for having bad opinions or ideas–rather because he was basically spamming the forum with a zillion posts per hour, and only in the Fictional and Off-topic boards to boot.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2023, 01:53:24 PM
Just because you think someone is wrong doesn't mean they should be banned. Holding the ban hammer until an actual violation of the rules (having a duplicate account) seemed to be the correct thing.

I don't think any of us has suggested that he should have been banned for having bad opinions or ideas–rather because he was basically spamming the forum with a zillion posts per hour, and only in the Fictional and Off-topic boards to boot.
I would say, he was misbehaving, and while that is hard to formalize - it is a very real concern. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2023, 01:53:24 PM

The only time I can recall the topic with MMM being disciplined/banned ever coming up was when he was on a roll wrecking legitimate threads.  To me personally that's a way more serious problem than someone using sock account to come back to the forum.  MMM did largely stop derailing legitimate threads for awhile and stuck to his own swim lane.  Towards the end he started getting back into habits of old and turned everyone working against him when the Off Topic board was overrun. . 

Scott5114

For someone who is all "I'm done with the forum and not trolling anymore" he sure is having a lot of posts deleted from the "Registration Problems" section that nobody can see when they're logged in.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 16, 2023, 06:38:45 PM
For someone who is all "I'm done with the forum and not trolling anymore" he sure is having a lot of posts deleted from the "Registration Problems" section that nobody can see when they're logged in.
Damn, missed seeing those posts when they were still up.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

I take it this is why the IP ban range was put in?

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 16, 2023, 10:33:57 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2023, 08:37:22 PM
You can use a VPN

You misunderstand what I mean:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33060.0

I was in the same scenario until I messaged SSOWorld and he explained what happened.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2023, 10:45:09 PM
You can use a VPN

I was in the same scenario until I messaged SSOWorld and he explained what happened.
Yeah, I saw that thread afterwards. Still, the IP ban range seems ineffective if you can just set your location to Japan if you want to.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 17, 2023, 01:41:06 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2023, 10:45:09 PM
You can use a VPN

Yeah, I saw that thread afterwards. Still, the IP ban range seems ineffective if you can just set your location to Japan if you want to.

Certainly worked on me for a couple minutes.  Either way, seems like Mr. Nut Rate is making himself obvious when he tries to re-register.

JoePCool14

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 15, 2023, 12:09:41 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 15, 2023, 11:31:32 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 14, 2023, 09:48:23 PM
I'm inclined to let it go for a bit longer since we are having an interesting discussion about what we can do better as moderators.

That's appreciated. I think the general consensus is that trolls like this should be dealt with sooner in order to stop the forum from turning into one person's stomping ground that ruins it for everyone else. The question is how to ban someone who technically isn't breaking rules, and how long do you give that person the chance to redeem themselves if they want to?

Change the rules. "You can be banned if you're excessively annoying." Suspend them for a week and tell them it's their last chance.

Yes. This is what I want. We're not Twitter, we're not obligated to allow everyone to join. We want to be open to all, but if you harm the overall forum, you're out.

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2023, 12:29:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 15, 2023, 12:18:17 PM
Many of us seem to miss the guy as he was more than entertaining to say the least.  It would appear that being we haven't let the matter go, many who have argued with the 23 year old hated to see this happen.

Count me as one person who does NOT miss MultiDozenMiler.  It was all but impossible to keep up with the conversation on here.  I'd take a couple of days off from the forum, come back, and each of his threads would have five pages of new replies.  *groan*  Now it's back to a more manageable state.

This right here. I couldn't keep up with anything.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 17, 2023, 10:41:25 AM
We're not Twitter, we're not obligated to allow everyone to join. We want to be open to all, but if you harm the overall forum, you're out.

As long as there is a system of warnings in place first, yes.  Bans shouldn't be capricious, but rather the result of a member's refusal to heed the less drastic moderator actions that he had already been subject to.  And a ban shouldn't be the decision of one moderator alone, which I just kind of assume it isn't.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

You sure you want to post exactly which gun was smoking?
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2023, 11:02:04 AM
You sure you want to post exactly which gun was smoking?

Okay, removed. (I believe he's aware already because of the emails he sent me, but just in case, I removed it.)

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2023, 10:49:39 AMAnd a ban shouldn't be the decision of one moderator alone, which I just kind of assume it isn't.

Scott5114 said he had to confirm with the other mods even after the smoking gun was found.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2023, 10:49:39 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 17, 2023, 10:41:25 AM
We're not Twitter, we're not obligated to allow everyone to join. We want to be open to all, but if you harm the overall forum, you're out.

As long as there is a system of warnings in place first, yes.  Bans shouldn't be capricious, but rather the result of a member's refusal to heed the less drastic moderator actions that he had already been subject to.  And a ban shouldn't be the decision of one moderator alone, which I just kind of assume it isn't.
Honestly speaking, it depends. There were definitely situations elsewhere when I banned someone without any warning single-handedly. Peni$ 3n1@rgement offer, for example, is a good reason for that.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.