AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 37121 times)

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 12:04:05 AM
Re: Texas
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2019, 11:27:18 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't sure what Texas' official stance on that was, having seen Spur US Routes signed similarly.

TxDOT appears not to have a highway designation category for spur US routes, although it does for each of mainline US routes (US), business US routes (BU), and alternate US routes (UA).  I suspect the State Loop/Spur (SL/SS) category covers loops and spurs for all flavors of primary state highway.

Here's a better one.

Yes--that installation is totally in line with the current (2012) edition of SHSD.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 04:59:40 PM
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't sure what Texas' official stance on that was, having seen Spur US Routes signed similarly.

TxDOT appears not to have a highway designation category for spur US routes, although it does for each of mainline US routes (US), business US routes (BU), and alternate US routes (UA).  I suspect the State Loop/Spur (SL/SS) category covers loops and spurs for all flavors of primary state highway.

In the specific case of US-277 Spur, it is included inside the highway destination file for US-277.

Quote from: Minute Order 029126
... with a spur connection from US 277 to the International Border at Del Rio and a spur connection from US 277 to the International Border at Eagle Pass.  Route extended from Del Rio to a junction with US 83 at Carrizo Springs, with a spur connection from US 277 to the International Border at Eagle Pass.  Old section from US 277 to the International Border at Del Rio to be identified as SS 239 connection.

Quote from: Minute Order 081499
... with a spur connection from US 277 to the International Border at Del Rio.  SS 277, from SL 431 (old US 277) to the International Border at Eagle Pass, to be designated as Eagle Pass SS 240 only.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 12:04:05 AM
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2019, 03:05:01 PM »

In the specific case of US-277 Spur, it is included inside the highway destination file for US-277.

Quote from: Minute Order 029126
... with a spur connection from US 277 to the International Border at Del Rio and a spur connection from US 277 to the International Border at Eagle Pass.  Route extended from Del Rio to a junction with US 83 at Carrizo Springs, with a spur connection from US 277 to the International Border at Eagle Pass.  Old section from US 277 to the International Border at Del Rio to be identified as SS 239 connection.

Quote from: Minute Order 081499
... with a spur connection from US 277 to the International Border at Del Rio.  SS 277, from SL 431 (old US 277) to the International Border at Eagle Pass, to be designated as Eagle Pass SS 240 only.

Yup.  These all look like instances where routes that are functionally spurs of US 277 have SL/SS designations.  There isn't actually an out-of-the-box option in SHSD for explicitly signing spur US routes because there is no "Spur" tab.  AASHTO does list multiple US 277 Spur designations in the vicinity of Eagle Pass and Del Rio, but I will be very surprised if any of them are actually signed as US 277 Spurs and not under their SL/SS designations.

Search by state for AASHTO US route database (will require selection of state and then route to drill down to a particular route)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 08:03:53 PM
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48067733582/in/dateposted-public/

Some signs of the east terminus of I-14 at I-35 which has a Breezewood connection to I-35 SB via service roads.  Obviously the connection with I-35 has some work to do to make it a full connection between the two.  If you notice the ramp goes up to an intersection before it goes down to another one to meet the SB I-35 Frontage Road where you make a turn to follow the next freeway before a slip ramp leads you to it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bobby5280

• Last Login: July 03, 2020, 03:36:04 PM
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »

Quote from: wxfree
That bill is introduced in every session.  It never goes anywhere.  I like the idea of it, but I think it's a little too enthusiastic.  I think a more realistic alternative would be to limit the toll rates to what is needed cover the debt and upkeep costs.  Current law allows for excess revenues that can be spent on unrelated transportation projects.  I'd like to see that stop.  If you have to pay extra to drive on a certain road, you shouldn't have to pay even more extra to cover the cost of other roads.

This is a popular topic here in Oklahoma, given the 600 or so miles of turnpikes we have here. Lots of Okies have demanded the toll gates be removed over the years. "The roads are paid for already!" Technically, they're not. The OTA is allowed to cross-pledge the debt over to new turnpike segments or major maintenance and expansion projects.

Here is the BIG downside to removing the toll gates here in Oklahoma: 600+ miles of super highways are immediately added to what the state's gasoline taxes are supposed to maintain. Even with the recent, modest 3 per gallon rate increase Oklahoma's fuel taxes are among the lowest in the nation. If those 600+ miles of turnpikes were added to the gas tax burden drivers in Oklahoma would see a major increase in gasoline taxes. Gotta pay for those roads one way or the other.

Toll rates in some areas of the country are ridiculous. I think Oklahoma's are a bargain by comparison. An act of removing the toll gates on some of these turnpikes (or toll bridges) along the East coast or other high toll rate zones might result in some hefty fuel tax hikes. The agencies will want to make up that revenue from somewhere.

In_Correct

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 05:10:57 AM
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2019, 03:51:34 AM »

While it is unpleasant to drive on Toll Roads, Indeed feels like driving through somebody's property, I am not bothered by the cost. If there were no Toll Roads, gas prices would be even higher. Also, the quality of most gas is getting lower. This also increases my loyalty to toll roads and public transport.

Roads are never free. They can be honest about it and charge up front, or they can sneak the cost into the cost of (generally low quality) fuel. Even if  the roads are "paid for" in other words the main construction is finished, they will wear out and need maintenance.

600 miles is not long enough. There needs to be more toll roads. If people do not like toll roads, they can Shun Pike them with 4 Wheelers.

roadman65

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 08:03:53 PM
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2019, 10:42:45 PM »

I noticed that SH 99 has a weird set up between I-69 and I-10 on the west side.  The tolls are just for through movements through the various diamond interchanges.  Everything between the interchanges is free.  To shunpike the tolls you are just basically exiting the facility and re-entering the facility after waiting for the ramp signals.  Unlike the Sam Houston where SH 8 is the free frontage road and to shunpike you do not have to exit, enter, exit, enter, etc like the Grand Parkway.  Only the Ship Channel is fully tolled with no direct way to bypass it without traveling several miles out of the way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TravelingBethelite

• My way IS the highway.

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 03:34:34 PM
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2020, 12:57:19 PM »

Wasn't sure where else to put this.

I was out for a drive on Saturday and was in the general area, and the US 190 bridge over the Neches River is closed and seems to have been for a while. The most recent repair work seems to have been in 2017. The current closure is due to $250,000 worth of damage by a vehicle. I'd like to drive it sometime, seems very historic. As an aside, my detour via RE 255 and Tyler County 3725 was very intriguing. Tyler County 3725 is the longest stretch of paved county road (not including the equivalent (?) - not sure if they're equivalents - Missouri lettered routes) I've ever seen, and it was a one-laner, for its entire length from RE 255 to where it becomes FM 92. Very interesting drive.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/traffic/190-closed-at-steinhagen-lake-due-to-damage-for-number-of-weeks/502-68619df6-478a-4cbc-90dd-24d529356559
"Life is a highway, and I want to drive it all night long!" -Tom Cochrane
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT

davmillar

• Last Login: June 23, 2020, 01:37:07 PM
    • Interst8
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2020, 10:00:59 PM »

Very late to the party, but regarding OP's topic of one-digit farm roads: I recently drove FM 4 north from I-20 at the suggestion of a local redditor and it was a very nice little scenic route. I turned off onto FM 3137 to go over the Palo Pinto Creek Reservoir so I'll have to go back and finish the trip up FM 4 into Palo Pinto itself. They're both near TX-16 and US 180, the former of which has a really cool bridge just a bit north of there and the latter of which has several bits of offshoots and old bridges nearby due to its history as part of the Bankhead Highway.
Try out my puzzle game Interst8 at https://interst8.us

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.