News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cool Old Texas Sign Assembly Pic

Started by Brian556, January 06, 2011, 11:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Quillz

Interesting font choice for US 183.

Truvelo

Quote from: Quillz on January 07, 2011, 04:31:55 AM
Interesting font choice for US 183.

Flat topped 3's were used in Britain before the current font was introduced. Here's an example although the 3 is a slightly different shape to that in the Texas sign.

Speed limits limit life

Brian556

The Flat-top 3's were apperently common for a period of time. I know of a speed limit sign on a county road that had one of those on it.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brian556 on January 07, 2011, 01:05:51 PM
The Flat-top 3's were apperently common for a period of time. I know of a speed limit sign on a county road that had one of those on it.

I don't think I've ever seen a surviving flat-top 3.  I do know of some speed limit signs in Louisiana with their custom font, which also disappeared in the 1960s, but none in Texas.

now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever seen a modern black square US route shield in Texas with the custom font - regardless of how old the photo was.  Those were introduced in 1965, from what I can tell, to echo the 1961 federal spec for intersections, replacing the cutouts with US and the arrow directly next to the number.  The reassurance markers remained Texas/US cutouts until 1969.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

The speed limit sign I'm referring to still stands, and isn't over appx 10 years old. It's EG sheeting and is in good condition.

I found an old newspaper article about the modernization of Texas Route Marker signs in the mid 60's

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on January 07, 2011, 05:59:10 PM
The speed limit sign I'm referring to still stands, and isn't over appx 10 years old. It's EG sheeting and is in good condition.

I found an old newspaper article about the modernization of Texas Route Marker signs in the mid 60's

Do you have a link to it?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

is it this one?

1965.  that is when Texas adopted 1961-spec black squares for intersections, giving up on their unique cutouts with arrows within the shield.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

That is not the one. The one i'm referring to is on NewpaperArchieve.com which is a site that you have to be a paying member of to access.

Alps

Though the "Listen to Your Wife" sign is one that should be in the MUTCD. *grin*

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.