News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Part of overpass on I-95 in NE Philly collapses after tanker fire

Started by Mr. Matté, June 11, 2023, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dough4872

davewiecking

For those who haven't noticed, the camera has been moved to the upper level, but Buckley only brought one of their signs up. Modified L-shaped Jersey barrier parts have been installed adjacent the NB lanes, and are currently being installed on the other side.

Dough4872

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 20, 2023, 01:52:31 PM
3) At the very end he said he's going for a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. No no no no no no no. Philly people would add him to the glass/dirt mixture they're filling the hole with hearing that. In and near the city, it's just a Cheesesteak. For most outsiders, Philly Cheesesteak is acceptable.  But a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich...showing whatever slop he was eating?  He'd lose any credibility if that was broadcasted widely in the Philly area.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 20, 2023, 02:28:17 PM
And people wonder why other states do not use "Philadelphia" as as control city?

Because of cheesesteaks?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Dough4872

https://6abc.com/pocono-raceway-i-95-bridge-collapse-philadelphia-road-repair/13414418/ Interesting, Pocono Raceway is sending their jet driers to make sure line painting isn't delayed by rain

Chris19001

3) At the very end he said he's going for a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. No no no no no no no. Philly people would add him to the glass/dirt mixture they're filling the hole with hearing that. In and near the city, it's just a Cheesesteak. For most outsiders, Philly Cheesesteak is acceptable.  But a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich...showing whatever slop he was eating?  He'd lose any credibility if that was broadcasted widely in the Philly area.
He's going to be the receiver of some some wiz wit for that faux-pas..

MASTERNC

They are now saying the road will reopen Friday at Noon. There will be three 11-foot lanes, with the lane closures starting a mile before the bridge

J N Winkler

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 22, 2023, 06:23:46 PMThere will be three 11-foot lanes, with the lane closures starting a mile before the bridge

Called it!
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cjw2001

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cjw2001 on June 22, 2023, 08:52:57 PM
Lane lines being painted tonight on the new surface

And as of 11pm, lines are painted.  Traffic will be rolling again...an incredible 12 days after the collapse.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 20, 2023, 01:52:31 PMHe seemed to blame the collapse on the rebar within the concrete. Actually, he was a bit unclear of this as he did show an image of bridge beams at one point, which was the actual structural reason for the collapse. He kinda got the general point across, that metal gave way destroying the bridge; he just did a lousy job explaining it.

It sounded like he thought the deck was supported by AASHTO concrete beams.  It was not.  This was a single-span steel plate girder bridge with a concrete deck laid over stay-in-place forms.

I wonder if he got confused by information floating around about the old bridge, which was a three-span design with concrete beams.

Google StreetView, September 2012:  Original bridge

Google StreetView, November 2017:  New bridge (the one destroyed by fire) shortly after completion of the I-95 Cottman-Princeton upgrade
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Road Hog

I agree, calling it "Philly cheesesteak" is like calling it "British cricket" or an "Australian kangaroo." That said, major hats off to Penn DOT for getting the job done. A model for all future catastrophic failures.

CtrlAltDel

More evidence that there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that people will not complain about.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sharkyfour

Am I the only one watching this live feed and thinking this road could have re-opened hours ago, maybe even in time for the morning commute, if the Governor didn't feel the need to hold a press conference right on the new roadway?

bluecountry

I do not know if it was because of this, but I drove from DC to NY yesterday, and early afternoon it was really busy, though not awful, but much busier than I would expect on a Thursday crossing the DEMB.
I am not sure if that is just summer traffic, I-95 diverting to I-295, or both.
The NJTP seemed heavier in SJ, but most of the 95 corridor from DC to NY was too.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dough4872

Flyer78

Quote from: sharkyfour on June 23, 2023, 10:01:56 AM
Am I the only one watching this live feed and thinking this road could have re-opened hours ago, maybe even in time for the morning commute, if the Governor didn't feel the need to hold a press conference right on the new roadway?

I was thinking that last night, after the striping was done, but it does appear there were some punch-list items being taken care of, even after "noon." (The roadway was not reopened when I looked before 12:30).

The presser was kind-of-necessary, that form of retail politics goes with projects like this -- I actually think Shapiro does a pretty good job at these (was amused when he actually said "get shit done") and much better than others (looking at you Mayor Kenney and your speed read of prepared remarks). The press questions about safety were also amusing, they were asking why the deadline was moved up just a few hours after saying Saturday or Sunday.

cjw2001

Quote from: Flyer78 on June 23, 2023, 02:56:25 PM
Quote from: sharkyfour on June 23, 2023, 10:01:56 AM

I was thinking that last night, after the striping was done, but it does appear there were some punch-list items being taken care of, even after "noon." (The roadway was not reopened when I looked before 12:30).

The presser was kind-of-necessary, that form of retail politics goes with projects like this -- I actually think Shapiro does a pretty good job at these (was amused when he actually said "get shit done") and much better than others (looking at you Mayor Kenney and your speed read of prepared remarks). The press questions about safety were also amusing, they were asking why the deadline was moved up just a few hours after saying Saturday or Sunday.
It is also important to allow the workers that made this possible to get their moment of appreciation.  It is time well spent.

kernals12

Quote from: kernals12 on June 11, 2023, 10:22:50 AM
They say the bridge will be closed for weeks. But can't they use accelerated bridge construction and replace it in a day or two?

Okay, maybe it wasn't a day or two, but less than two weeks is pretty impressive.

odditude

Quote from: kernals12 on June 23, 2023, 04:01:46 PM
They say the bridge will be closed for weeks. But can't they use accelerated bridge construction and replace it in a day or two?

Okay, maybe it wasn't a day or two, but less than two weeks is pretty impressive.

you do realize this is a temporary fix to enable the longer-term temporary fix to allow for the permanent replacement, right?

Alps

Quote from: odditude on June 23, 2023, 05:50:54 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 23, 2023, 04:01:46 PM

you do realize this is a temporary fix to enable the longer-term temporary fix to allow for the permanent replacement, right?
Less than two weeks is impressive.

Ted$8roadFan

It's a temporary fix. However, given the immense challenges involved in reconstructing not just a highway, but part of what is arguably the most important highway in the eastern US, it is indeed remarkable that it got done so quickly.

bwana39

Yes, it is temporary.

My question would seemingly be if reopening the road / ramp passing under were not important, could it be left in place for the long term?  IE how resilient / durable is it? How does it feel to drive across. (I realize asphalt travel lanes are on top of it.)

I would assume it is more expensive than clay / rock  as a filler for a permanently filled elevated road structure.

While it is a material that is made partially from recycled material, is it truly environmentally friendly?

The last question is about demolition. How hard it it going to be to demo this stuff when the time comes?

This is more about the material than this placement per se. I doubt I am the only one who is curious.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bwana39 on June 24, 2023, 12:17:29 PM
Yes, it is temporary.

My question would seemingly be if reopening the road / ramp passing under were not important, could it be left in place for the long term?  IE how resilient / durable is it? How does it feel to drive across. (I realize asphalt travel lanes are on top of it.)

I would assume it is more expensive than clay / rock  as a filler for a permanently filled elevated road structure.

While it is a material that is made partially from recycled material, is it truly environmentally friendly?

The last question is about demolition. How hard it it going to be to demo this stuff when the time comes?

This is more about the material than this placement per se. I doubt I am the only one who is curious.

At least for the demo part: Shouldn't be that hard, and it's not all that unusual of a project, even in a tight space. Mill off the asphalt. Dig out the fill. Depending where irs from, that fill can probably be recycled and used elsewhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.