News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

580 is unconstructed from Vernalis to Hallelujah Junction/South Lake Tahoe

Started by bootmii, May 05, 2024, 03:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heynow415

^^^^^

That's a great map - it really does highlight the corridor, some of which now has a bike path through it.  Also interesting to see how many small individual lots within mostly-developed subdivisions have been acquired to reduce overall development potential in the basin. And I'm sure the folks who have a cabin next to one of those vacant lots are thrilled to have it protected in perpetuity. Good for them! 

bootmii

I was talking about 395 _north_ of Reno and how that crosses the state line as a freeway.
Born again roadgeek from California.

The Ghostbuster

US 395 could potentially be upgraded to freeway standards after it crosses back into California, since there are only two at-grade intersection prior to the Exit 8/CA 70 interchange. However, only a roadgeek would likely advocate such an upgrade as small as that one.

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 30, 2024, 11:58:26 AMUS 395 could potentially be upgraded to freeway standards after it crosses back into California, since there are only two at-grade intersection prior to the Exit 8/CA 70 interchange. However, only a roadgeek would likely advocate such an upgrade as small as that one.

Admit it, how many of us in here have pondered I-11 continuing northward via this highway into California and on past Bend, OR and into Washington?  :nod:

Mike

Max Rockatansky

I dunno, I'm more lamenting that stuff like that is something a certain sect in the road hobby thinks is necessary.

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 30, 2024, 05:05:25 PMI dunno, I'm more lamenting that stuff like that is something a certain sect in the road hobby thinks is necessary.

Hey, it's also the NCDOT mantra!  Interstates here, there, and everywhere to almost every town!

(The amusing side effect being the racetracks Rockingham and North Wilkesboro going from "isolated" to "right off the interstate!" as if US 421 and US 220 weren't Interstate-standard freeways already for years before this...)
Chris Sampang

pderocco

Quote from: mgk920 on May 30, 2024, 12:10:00 PMAdmit it, how many of us in here have pondered I-11 continuing northward via this highway into California and on past Bend, OR and into Washington?  :nod:
I'm not an Interstate fan, really, except for their obvious practical benefits in populous areas. In rural areas, I much prefer driving on expressways than freeways, because they have so much more character. If US-97 in central Oregon and Washington were ever upgraded to full freeway, I wouldn't like that at all. But then most of the driving I do is for pleasure, not work.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on May 31, 2024, 03:32:05 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 30, 2024, 12:10:00 PMAdmit it, how many of us in here have pondered I-11 continuing northward via this highway into California and on past Bend, OR and into Washington?  :nod:
I'm not an Interstate fan, really, except for their obvious practical benefits in populous areas. In rural areas, I much prefer driving on expressways than freeways, because they have so much more character. If US-97 in central Oregon and Washington were ever upgraded to full freeway, I wouldn't like that at all. But then most of the driving I do is for pleasure, not work.

That's the thing, I don't know if a large percentage of the hobby is in this for the pleasure of driving.  One thing that has consistently surprised me since joining this forum is how many people don't like driving.

I was also surprised by the amount of people who want homogenization.  Having the same stuff like Interstate grade freeways and MUTCD compliant-whatever is boring to me.  I'll gladly take a state highway or Forest Service road over the Sierra Nevada versus I-80 if I can help it.

Bobby5280

Quote from: mgk920Admit it, how many of us in here have pondered I-11 continuing northward via this highway into California and on past Bend, OR and into Washington?

If I-11 was ever signed on US-395 going North out of Reno I could see it hooking into I-5 in the Medford-Ashland area after going to Klamath Falls. It's more of a stretch going farther up to Bend even though there is an existing North-South freeway going most of the way through that small city.

Quote from: pderoccoI'm not an Interstate fan, really, except for their obvious practical benefits in populous areas. In rural areas, I much prefer driving on expressways than freeways, because they have so much more character.

There are certain drawbacks to four lane divided expressways. At-grade intersections can be a serious problem, especially if they're placed in locations not 100% clearly visible to oncoming thru traffic. Hills and other rolling terrain can obstruct the view, even if the intersection is placed at the crest of the hill. You could be buzzing along at 70-75mph and not be aware Farmer John just pulled his pickup and trailer loaded with junk onto the highway from a connecting section line road. You crest over the hill and surprise! The situation can be even worse at night time. The intersections are often not lit. Some of these rural jackasses will drive without lights until it's pitch black dark.

Another thing I don't like about regular 4-lane divided expressways: if the intersections are not clearly signed it increases the possibility of wrong-way drivers. On at least 2 different occasions I've driven past wrong way drivers on US-287 between Wichita Falls and Fort Worth. At night. It's a good thing I was in the right lane. Parts of that road have really wide medians as well as a good amount of trees and bushes. Someone needing to turn left onto the highway has a brain fart and makes the first left, thinking it's a 2-lane road. They do that rather than crossing over the median to make the second left for the correct direction of traffic. There have been instances of people driving the wrong way on Interstates, but the motorist has to commit an even larger brain fart to do that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.