News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New US 51 - Cairo Bridge

Started by edwaleni, May 06, 2024, 03:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Quote from: seicer on May 08, 2024, 07:25:40 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 08, 2024, 03:36:52 PMI don't know.  Seems there are places that are more depressing than Cairo out there.  New Straitsville, OH, comes to mind.
While working at an event in Paducah, I got to have a long conversation with a Publix executive who works remotely. He moved his family from Florida to... Cairo because it was "quiet" and had "good schools" for his son. I hope it works out for his family but that's a huge cultural shock.

Interesting. They probably live on Washington Ave. It has some of the most beautiful homes from the late 1800's to early 1900's, but just 3 blocks away are some of the most derelict, weed infested homes I have ever seen surrounded by tons of empty lots. it's definitely a town of extremes.

seicer

Final Report for U.S. 60 Connectivity Study Recommends Advancing U.S. 51 Bridge Replacement Project
Cost, environmental impacts, public feedback inform decision not to advance new corridor project
PADUCAH Ky. (June 13, 2024) – As part of Team Kentucky's commitment to provide safe, environmentally sound and fiscally responsible roadways, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) has released the final U.S. 60 Connectivity Study report that recommends advancing the U.S. 51 Bridge Replacement project, which has widespread support, a lower cost and fewer environmental impacts than the U.S. 60 corridor project.
The U.S. 60 Connectivity Study was a more than yearlong, comprehensive evaluation that examined the feasibility of constructing a new U.S. 60 corridor and Ohio River bridge crossing between Barlow, Kentucky, and Interstate Highway 57 near Future City, Illinois. The study's goal was to determine if the new U.S. 60 corridor and a relocated river crossing would offer more long-term value to the commonwealth and the traveling public than the proposed U.S. 51 Bridge Replacement project at Cairo, Illinois.
"We know that the existing U.S. 51 bridge is nearing the end of its useful life, and we want to find the best solution to construct a new Ohio River crossing for the region," said Kyle Poat, Chief District Engineer, KYTC District 1. "This study was conducted as part of our duty to Kentuckians, to examine the potential benefits and impacts of a new route and crossing — and the findings are clear: The cost and environmental impacts of a new U.S. 60 corridor and crossing outweigh the benefits."
The U.S. 60 Connectivity Study launched in early 2023 and included thorough cost, environmental, socioeconomic and traffic analysis. Public involvement along with local, state and national resource agency coordination and input were also important components to the study that helped inform a final recommendation. Public meetings were held in LaCenter, Kentucky and Cairo, Illinois, to gather public feedback, followed by a monthlong comment period.
Most areas of analysis and feedback did not support advancing the project, including:
  • Cost: It would cost an estimated $1.3 billion to construct the U.S. 60 Connectivity Study project versus $450 million to construct the U.S .51 Bridge Replacement project.
  • Environmental impacts and timeline: The U.S. 60 Connectivity Study would impact a wide range of wetlands, endangered wildlife and protected public lands that would require the highest level of federally mandated environmental assessment, resulting in a rigorous, multiyear process. Meanwhile, the U.S. 51 Bridge Replacement has already received federal environmental approval and can be ready to proceed with construction upon completion of design work.
  • Public feedback: Eighty-three percent of public responses opposed the U.S. 60 Connectivity Study project.

To view the executive summary and complete final report for the U.S. 60 Connectivity Study, visit https://us60connectivitystudy.com/
About the existing U.S. 51 Ohio River Bridge
The U.S. 51 Ohio River 'Cairo' Bridge serves as a north-south connector for U.S. 51 and an east-west transportation corridor for U.S. 60 and U.S. Highway 62. The bridge carries about 5,400 vehicles per day between Kentucky and Illinois. About 43% of the traffic is commercial trucks.
The existing Cairo Bridge crosses the Ohio River at navigation mile point 980.4 and carries U.S. 51, U.S. 60, and U.S. 62 traffic across the Ohio River. Opened to traffic in 1938, the Cairo Bridge is the longest bridge in Kentucky and the westernmost bridge over the Ohio River.
The existing bridge needs to be replaced because it is narrow, does not allow oversize or overweight loads, and does not accommodate pedestrians. Sight distance on the bridge is also inadequate, and a tight horizonal curve on the Kentucky approach does not meet current federal or state design standards. A new bridge would meet modern standards for traffic and would offer both roadway safety improvements and enhanced earthquake resistance as the structure lies in the New Madrid fault zone.

edwaleni

83% local opposition is a pretty high margin for not proceeding on the US 60 deal.

Now lets get the new bridge built!

TheStranger

I'm actually impressed that 83% of people would be in agreement!  I do wonder, was this because the US 51 bridge already is much further along towards actually happening, or because of some of the other factors mentioned in the study?  Was there ever any demand really for a US 60 bridge at all?

Chris Sampang

ilpt4u

I saw the story on the bridge led the 10pm news on WSIL-ABC 3 in Southern Illinois. It was on at a local establishment, but no audio. Knew I could come here and see the details  :nod:

ilpt4u

Quote from: TheStranger on June 13, 2024, 11:28:22 PMI'm actually impressed that 83% of people would be in agreement!  I do wonder, was this because the US 51 bridge already is much further along towards actually happening, or because of some of the other factors mentioned in the study?  Was there ever any demand really for a US 60 bridge at all?
From WPSD-NBC 6 Paducah's story, sound like lots of local opposition to moving the bridge upriver

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/u-s-60-connectivity-study-gives-communities-clarity-on-where-major-bridge-will-go/article_03084330-29e9-11ef-919e-8f909021b5a2.html

Interestingly, WSIL-ABC 3's piece on the bridge that lead the 10pm news tonight isn't on their website, that I found, anyway

It is a weird TV DMA/market, where 1 network is out of and focuses on Southern Illinois (WSIL ABC 3), one is out of and focuses on Western Kentucky (WPSD NBC 6) and 2 are out of and focus on Southeast Missouri (KBSI FOX 23 and KFVS CBS 12). All cover the whole DMA broadly, but focus their "Local" segments on their DMA subregion

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 14, 2024, 12:00:47 AM
Quote from: TheStranger on June 13, 2024, 11:28:22 PMI'm actually impressed that 83% of people would be in agreement!  I do wonder, was this because the US 51 bridge already is much further along towards actually happening, or because of some of the other factors mentioned in the study?  Was there ever any demand really for a US 60 bridge at all?
From WPSD-NBC 6 Paducah's story, sound like lots of local opposition to moving the bridge upriver

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/u-s-60-connectivity-study-gives-communities-clarity-on-where-major-bridge-will-go/article_03084330-29e9-11ef-919e-8f909021b5a2.html

Interestingly, WSIL-ABC 3's piece on the bridge that lead the 10pm news tonight isn't on their website, that I found, anyway

It is a weird TV DMA/market, where 1 network is out of and focuses on Southern Illinois (WSIL ABC 3), one is out of and focuses on Western Kentucky (WPSD NBC 6) and 2 are out of and focus on Southeast Missouri (KBSI FOX 23 and KFVS CBS 12). All cover the whole DMA broadly, but focus their "Local" segments on their DMA subregion

When I lived in southern Illinois, we could pick up Terre Haute, Evansville, St Louis, Cape Girardeau and the PBS stations from SIU-Carbondale.

So it was weird when I would see commercials for shops as far away as Tell City, Indiana in the east, Festus or Sikeston, Missouri in the west.

My neighbor had a ham radio tower and he put a high gain TV antenna on it and would raise it and rotate it and pick up even farther, Indianapolis, Champaign, Springfield and what seem to be a million PBS transponders. Of course this is all in the VHF/UHF analog NTSC days.

hobsini2

Quote from: edwaleni on June 14, 2024, 11:18:04 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on June 14, 2024, 12:00:47 AM

When I lived in southern Illinois, we could pick up Terre Haute, Evansville, St Louis, Cape Girardeau and the PBS stations from SIU-Carbondale.

So it was weird when I would see commercials for shops as far away as Tell City, Indiana in the east, Festus or Sikeston, Missouri in the west.

My neighbor had a ham radio tower and he put a high gain TV antenna on it and would raise it and rotate it and pick up even farther, Indianapolis, Champaign, Springfield and what seem to be a million PBS transponders. Of course this is all in the VHF/UHF analog NTSC days.
It's funny how on a clear night, I can pickup an AM station out of Dallas and one out of Cleveland in Aurora. My Dad said that when we lived in Oshkosh, Wis, he could pickup a jazz station out of Winnipeg.

Sorry for the tangent.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.