News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Beltways That Work, and Beltways that Don't

Started by PColumbus73, May 09, 2024, 09:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

I-295 in South Jersey was designed to be a bypass around Philadelphia, but as 95 was never completed as intended north of Trenton, and with the NJ Turnpike being the thru route from Delaware to NY, it never functioned as a beltway.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on May 09, 2024, 12:40:28 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 09, 2024, 09:44:07 AMI-287 in New Jersey for similar reasons—looking at them on a map, they look like they go too far out of the way. I ought to measure them out. I believe I once measured I-287 and it turned out it wasn't as much added distance as it appeared to be.
Quote from: roadman65 on May 09, 2024, 09:58:51 AMI-287 for NYC don't work for through traffic, but connecting from  I-95 to I-78 or from I-80 to I-87 works.
I-287 seems to me like it's mainly useful for trucks bypassing the NYC area or connecting to the other interstates or for cars connecting between I-87, I-80, and I-78.  Not so much I-95, however.  For I-95 to/from I-87, it's faster to take the GSP and NJ 17 (Google doesn't even suggest I-287 as an option); for I-95 to/from I-78, it's slightly faster or the same and notably less mileage to take NJ 18.

When I worked NJ Turnpike's Interchange 1, a fair number of travelers wanted to know how far it was to Exit 10 for I-287 to bypass NYC. No one really asked for the Parkway Exit 11. I was always a bit intrigued by this - it's not like people were saying they wanted to avoid paying additional tolls.

Henry

I-285 around Atlanta is probably the most broken beltway out there, because of various factors. No matter what direction you approach the city from, you're faced with a conundrum (do you continue straight through or go around?), and the daily traffic problems it gets are made worse by the fact that large trucks cannot go through the city at all (IIRC, it's the only city to be set up this way). Not to mention the ongoing construction at various points...

I-465 around Indianapolis, OTOH, is a great way to bypass downtown, which is most useful for traffic that's also using I-74, and will do the same for I-69 once it's completed.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bruce on May 09, 2024, 05:15:08 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 09, 2024, 03:59:15 PM
Quote from: Bruce on May 09, 2024, 03:47:15 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 09, 2024, 10:56:07 AMI-405 in Washington works pretty well for avoiding I-5 downtown.

It really doesn't, since often an end-to-end trip takes longer than just staying on I-5, especially if you have the express lanes in your direction. The section between Renton and Bellevue is almost always congested in both directions, whereas I-5 quickly clears up leaving the downtown merge zone.

It must have changed dramatically since when I lived there. I would run into traffic all the way from Lynnwood to Sea-Tac on I-5 whereas I-405 only bunched up between WA520 and I-90.

How long ago was that?

My typical afternoon drive into downtown is smooth until 145th or so, when the backup from the lost Northgate lane really forms. From there, it's pretty much bumper to bumper on I-5 (or I opt for the train, which is usually faster).

Granted, about 15 years ago.

PColumbus73

I took I-271 end-to-end around Cleveland and remember it being a breeze. The express lanes and being on the outer suburbs help there. I never took 71/90 through downtown.

How does I-480 work as a bypass, if I-271 & 480 work together as a beltway around southern Cleveland, how well does it function?

Also: Any non-interstate belt roads that work well, New Circle Road and Man O War Blvd in Lexington, KY as examples? Although they generally work at bypassing the center, they often get swallowed up as development moves out to the new bypass, so their effectiveness often has a short shelf life.

DTComposer

Quote from: TheStranger on May 09, 2024, 03:47:34 PM---

I-280, Bay Area:

- I have seen some older regional planning maps showing a continuous through route that is mostly today's 280, but also included the aforementioned Route 1 in SF portion and...the Cupertino-South San Jose portion of Route 85!  More on that later.

This is from 1952. As far as Santa Clara County was concerned, the West Valley route was the preferred bypass for San Jose; I-280 would have continued down today's CA-85.

This is from the SF Chronicle in 1957, showing alternate paths for the Junipero Serra Freeway. On the southern end (on the right), both the West Valley route (today's CA-85) and what actually got built as I-280 are shown, as well as two other alternates:
-A southeasterly route which seems to follow the old WPRR alignment in Willow Glen, then meeting US-101 near Ford Road (the junction of US-101 and US-101 Bypass);
-A more southerly dip along Quito Road and Saratoga-Los Gatos Road (today's CA-9), meeting CA-17 in downtown Los Gatos.

(images via Erica Fischer on Flickr)

CoreySamson

I-610 in Houston definitely worked in the past, but similarly to I-285 in Atlanta and I-405 in LA, massive development has sprung up around it and traffic and construction are perennial problems, so it's not super effective (especially the West Loop). Luckily, Houston has two other beltways that you can use if 610 is having issues. I personally think Beltway 8 is the most effective of the three (for me at least), but it is tolled and can have traffic problems depending on the time. The Grand Parkway is out of the way and is not a complete loop but has (relatively) little traffic for Houston.

The moral of the story is any of the 3 beltways can work effectively depending on the situation, but check the construction status and traffic before picking which one to use.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

elsmere241

Quote from: plain on May 09, 2024, 12:40:20 PMI-840 in TN has to be the most useless beltway (or whatever it's supposed to be) I've ever encountered.

It depends on your origin or destination in the area.  I found it very useful coming in from Texas - I took 840 from 40 to 65, then came in on 65.  It was much better than taking 40 in then taking side roads (in the dark) to Brentwood (where I was headed).

Revive 755

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 09, 2024, 10:10:36 AMOh I-255 is always faster than I-55 thru St. Louis.

It comes down to time of day and construction.  I-255 can get really congested or completely closed for construction sometimes.  Google has I-255 as 23 min/25.4 miles versus 26 min/24.9 miles for I-55.  Maybe it's just due to the amount of interesting things on I-55, but I-55 usually feels faster unless there's a problem with the PSB.

PColumbus73

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 10, 2024, 07:46:49 PMI-610 in Houston definitely worked in the past, but similarly to I-285 in Atlanta and I-405 in LA, massive development has sprung up around it and traffic and construction are perennial problems, so it's not super effective (especially the West Loop). Luckily, Houston has two other beltways that you can use if 610 is having issues. I personally think Beltway 8 is the most effective of the three (for me at least), but it is tolled and can have traffic problems depending on the time. The Grand Parkway is out of the way and is not a complete loop but has (relatively) little traffic for Houston.

The moral of the story is any of the 3 beltways can work effectively depending on the situation, but check the construction status and traffic before picking which one to use.

I was thinking that Houston has sprawled out so much that the beltways don't seem to make a difference anymore. Grand Parkway doesn't look like it would save much time for traffic trying to go straight through the city. Much like Atlanta or LA, it seems like there aren't any good choices.

dantheman

Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 10, 2024, 10:28:30 AMI took I-271 end-to-end around Cleveland and remember it being a breeze. The express lanes and being on the outer suburbs help there. I never took 71/90 through downtown.

How does I-480 work as a bypass, if I-271 & 480 work together as a beltway around southern Cleveland, how well does it function?

This works very well, in my experience. 271/480 was my usual route around Cleveland when I used to drive I-90 between upstate NY and the upper Midwest once or twice a year. It is a couple of extra miles and might be a minute or two longer if there's no traffic downtown, but avoiding the nasty curves on 90 was worth it. The express lanes on 271 also make it a pretty stress-free drive.

TheStranger

Quote from: DTComposer on May 10, 2024, 04:55:59 PMThis is from the SF Chronicle in 1957, showing alternate paths for the Junipero Serra Freeway. On the southern end (on the right), both the West Valley route (today's CA-85) and what actually got built as I-280 are shown, as well as two other alternates:
-A southeasterly route which seems to follow the old WPRR alignment in Willow Glen, then meeting US-101 near Ford Road (the junction of US-101 and US-101 Bypass);
-A more southerly dip along Quito Road and Saratoga-Los Gatos Road (today's CA-9), meeting CA-17 in downtown Los Gatos.

(images via Erica Fischer on Flickr)

Also interesting in that 1957 map: how one of the planned routes basically became what is today's Foothill Expressway.

Kinda wish both the Central Expressway and Foothill Expressway had slightly better connectivity to 101 and 280 respectively - the Foothill Expressway in particular would be a better alternative to some of the Los Altos Hills congestion along 280 at the evening rush hour.
Chris Sampang

roadman65

Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 11, 2024, 08:18:36 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on May 10, 2024, 07:46:49 PMI-610 in Houston definitely worked in the past, but similarly to I-285 in Atlanta and I-405 in LA, massive development has sprung up around it and traffic and construction are perennial problems, so it's not super effective (especially the West Loop). Luckily, Houston has two other beltways that you can use if 610 is having issues. I personally think Beltway 8 is the most effective of the three (for me at least), but it is tolled and can have traffic problems depending on the time. The Grand Parkway is out of the way and is not a complete loop but has (relatively) little traffic for Houston.

I was thinking that Houston has sprawled out so much that the beltways don't seem to make a difference anymore. Grand Parkway doesn't look like it would save much time for traffic trying to go straight through the city. Much like Atlanta or LA, it seems like there aren't any good choices.

That's what Jacksonville will become. Like IH 610 around Houston, it once was a good bypass, but developers built along it to expand the city and now it's an urban loop.   Give Jacksonville time. Heck I remember when the 429 opened west of Orlando how nice it was in 2006.  I even said this will soon change and so did it. Now drive SR 429 from I-4 to Floridas Turnpike on the west leg and it's all homes and suburban in nature 18 years later.

BTW give SH 99 time. It will develop as well and be a new place for newbies to Southeast Texas. Homes, businesses, shopping centers, and apartments will line the Grand Parkway for sure.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SilverMustang2011

Quote from: roadman65 on May 12, 2024, 08:45:08 AMThat's what Jacksonville will become. Like IH 610 around Houston, it once was a good bypass, but developers built along it to expand the city and now it's an urban loop.   Give Jacksonville time. Heck I remember when the 429 opened west of Orlando how nice it was in 2006.  I even said this will soon change and so did it. Now drive SR 429 from I-4 to Floridas Turnpike on the west leg and it's all homes and suburban in nature 18 years later.

BTW give SH 99 time. It will develop as well and be a new place for newbies to Southeast Texas. Homes, businesses, shopping centers, and apartments will line the Grand Parkway for sure.

I find it mildly amusing that Jacksonville also is getting it's own secondary, tolled beltway in the form of the First Coast Expressway. It's currently only being built as a quarter loop from I-10 to I-95 in the Southwest side of the metro, but it still works, in theory, as a bypass of Jacksonville for traffic going onto I-10.

I also remember going to a home builder for an interview a couple months ago and seeing a northern arc of the Expressway to I-95 in Nassau County near the state line mapped out as a possible future development corridor (Couldn't snap a photo sadly). However, Nassau County is very anti-suburban growth compared to St John's and Clay County and the northwest side of I-295 already doesn't see as much development or traffic so I doubt they'll announce or build it anytime soon.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 09, 2024, 02:19:12 PM
Quote from: plainI-840 in TN has to be the most useless beltway (or whatever it's supposed to be) I've ever encountered.

It would be dumb (in my opinion) to drive the entire length of I-840 all the way around Nashville rather just driving straight thru on I-40. On the other hand, I-840 can make it easier for someone driving from Memphis to Chattanooga. The motorist can go from I-40 to I-24 without having to go thru Nashville.

I disagree entirely. What's a couple extra minutes if it means avoiding the stress and annoyance of fighting Nashville traffic?  Usually don't even have to tap off the cruise on 840.  Meanwhile, the 24/40 concurrency is always jammed up and aggravating as everyone has to change lanes. 

Just like this: I'm up here in Madison and if I'm going toward Indy or any points beyond, the nav apps will try and route you thru Chicago because it's marginally faster.  But it's way more of a stressful drive dealing with maniacs on the Tri-State and the wall of trucks on the Borman.  Much easier to go via Bloomington and not deal with any of it.  I'd do that every single time.  Same deal with 840 in Tennessee.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

elsmere241

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 14, 2024, 11:48:55 AMI disagree entirely. What's a couple extra minutes if it means avoiding the stress and annoyance of fighting Nashville traffic?  Usually don't even have to tap off the cruise on 840.  Meanwhile, the 24/40 concurrency is always jammed up and aggravating as everyone has to change lanes. 

Just like this: I'm up here in Madison and if I'm going toward Indy or any points beyond, the nav apps will try and route you thru Chicago because it's marginally faster.  But it's way more of a stressful drive dealing with maniacs on the Tri-State and the wall of trucks on the Borman.  Much easier to go via Bloomington and not deal with any of it.  I'd do that every single time.  Same deal with 840 in Tennessee.

Someday, Google will come up with a "least stressful" route option, including factoring in tolls vs. fuel cost.

kj3400

Baltimore's I-695 used to work  :bigass:

But seriously, ever since the Key Bridge collapsed, rush hour traffic on I-95 approaching the McHenry Tunnel and MD 295 approaching I-95 has been unbearable, with backups as far as 4 miles away from the tunnel.

As far as I-895 goes, not being a beltway, but a technical bypass of Baltimore, it too is suffering from the Key Bridge collapse, with similar traffic jams.
Pre collapse, I probably would take 95 through the city as it never really got bad except during rush hour near the tunnel and even then it wasn't stop and go, just sluggish, because 895 only has so many access points, and 695 is slightly out the way . Now? Good luck crossing the harbor during rush hour.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Bobby5280

Quote from: triplemultiplexI disagree entirely. What's a couple extra minutes if it means avoiding the stress and annoyance of fighting Nashville traffic?  Usually don't even have to tap off the cruise on 840.  Meanwhile, the 24/40 concurrency is always jammed up and aggravating as everyone has to change lanes.

The I-40/I-65/I-24 "mixmaster" isn't -always- jammed up. Certainly I wouldn't advise anyone on a road trip to go through there during the morning rush. At other times I-40 thru there isn't as bad what I've seen in other cities (such as Dallas or Houston) during off-peak times. The I-440 loop isn't very long yet it's a decent bypass for downtown Nashville. The TN-155 loop can be a decent way to make connections between I-40, I-24 and I-65 while avoiding downtown.

I-840 is 77 1/4 miles long. It adds 18 miles to a trip versus staying on I-40 straight thru the Nashville metro. If I was on a road trip thru Tennessee and happened to be going near Nashville during the morning or late afternoon rush I might consider taking I-840. That hasn't been the case the all the previous times I've made that long drive on I-40.

triplemultiplex

To each, their own.  That 18 miles is far less mentally taxing, so that's my priority when transiting an urban area, if it's an option.
Not many places with that type of "super bypass", though.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 15, 2024, 11:57:04 AMTo each, their own.  That 18 miles is far less mentally taxing, so that's my priority when transiting an urban area, if it's an option.

And also, to each their own, but I'd much rather go through the heart of a city so I can actually see something different as opposed to suburban/exurban sprawl.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 15, 2024, 12:18:43 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 15, 2024, 11:57:04 AMTo each, their own.  That 18 miles is far less mentally taxing, so that's my priority when transiting an urban area, if it's an option.

And also, to each their own, but I'd much rather go through the heart of a city so I can actually see something different as opposed to suburban/exurban sprawl.

I'll do this my first trip or 2 thru a city, or if I know the skyline has changed. After that, I'll take the more relaxing route, even if it's slightly longer.

wriddle082

One drawback of using 840 is the lack of services along most of its length.  Zero truck stops.  The best exits for finding nearby gas stations are probably Exit 28 for US 31, Exit 42 for US 31A/41A, and Exit 55 for US 41/70S.  And it looks like they built a Publix, a McDonald's, and other minor shopping by Exit 50 on the outskirts of Murfreesboro, but no gas stations.  Still, for the first 28 miles from its beginning in Dickson all the way to Thompson's Station (and add four miles to the Dickson exit on I-40), there are no gas stations.  So be sure to fill up in Dickson or Lebanon when using all of 840 (the gas is usually reasonsbly priced in either place).

Myself, I generally only use 840 if I have to be near it.  My parents used to live about 6 miles from the TN 100 exit but moved back into Nashville a couple of years ago so I don't travel it very often.  Most of the time, I stick with Briley Pkwy or 440 for my Nashville bypassing needs.  And sometimes the route to my parents' new place has me get off of 440.

They now have fixed drive time signs at either end along 40 for the time to Dickson or Lebanon via 40 or 840.  If traffic is majorly backed up through the city, the drive time may be lower using 840.

There is virtually no suburban sprawl along 840.  Most of it is pretty rural.  Near Lebanon you will see a few large warehouses and a high school, but little to no housing developments can be seen from it.  Murfreesboro would be the best place to catch a glimpse of it, but it's mostly along 24.

webny99

Quote from: wriddle082 on May 15, 2024, 12:25:11 PM
QuoteAnd also, to each their own, but I'd much rather go through the heart of a city so I can actually see something different as opposed to suburban/exurban sprawl.

There is virtually no suburban sprawl along 840.  Most of it is pretty rural.  Near Lebanon you will see a few large warehouses and a high school, but little to no housing developments can be seen from it.  Murfreesboro would be the best place to catch a glimpse of it, but it's mostly along 24.

Nashville's sprawl is somewhat unique in that it is not at all concentric. It's almost exclusively linear along the I-65, I-24, I-40, and TN 386 corridors between Nashville and Spring Hill, Murfreesboro, Lebanon, and Gallatin respectively.

To the thread subject, I would argue that TX 130/TX 45 is a "beltway that works" for Austin, or at least it will be when complete. It's somewhat oval-shaped, much like the metro itself, and though there are parts that feel suburban, most of it is sufficiently rural for traffic to move well, even at busy times.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: wriddle082 on May 15, 2024, 12:25:11 PM

So even worse then, from my perspective.

roadman65

IH 610 in Houston definitely don't work. Too much traffic jams. Mostly an inner city route with all the sprawl concentrated along it.

IH 410 in San Antonio works on its south side having a rural character.  Plus it's east end between I-10 and I-35 works as a connection between the interstates real well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.