News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pelican Island Causeway hit by barge, RR part collapses

Started by rickmastfan67, May 15, 2024, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

LilianaUwU

Why does this keep happening? You'd think that after the Francis Scott Key Bridge, people piloting huge ass ships would be more careful...
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

bing101

True one would think that this would have greater scrutiny too.

Max Rockatansky

Probably isn't happening more frequently but rather just being noticed because bridge impacts are a hot news topic.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 15, 2024, 11:26:08 PMProbably isn't happening more frequently but rather just being noticed because bridge impacts are a hot news topic.
Do we have any data to back that up? I was curious about that myself. Along with all of the truck fires that seemed to be happening particularly along I-95.

Then there is all these plane malfunctions, doors falling off and stuff. I was wondering is this stuff that is common and it's just now popular to talk about, so it's getting more attention, Or is it actually happening more and more. Same thing with train derailments after the one in ohio.

Road Hog

That barge was nowhere near the navigable span of the bridge. Someone's got some 'splaining to do, Lucy.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Road Hog on May 16, 2024, 02:11:16 AMThat barge was nowhere near the navigable span of the bridge. Someone's got some 'splaining to do, Lucy.
The article says the barge was being towed and broke loose. Stuff that can happen, y'know.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 16, 2024, 01:50:32 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 15, 2024, 11:26:08 PMProbably isn't happening more frequently but rather just being noticed because bridge impacts are a hot news topic.
Do we have any data to back that up? I was curious about that myself. Along with all of the truck fires that seemed to be happening particularly along I-95.

Then there is all these plane malfunctions, doors falling off and stuff. I was wondering is this stuff that is common and it's just now popular to talk about, so it's getting more attention, Or is it actually happening more and more. Same thing with train derailments after the one in ohio.

Commercial plane issues have decreased considerably, especially domestically, over the last 45 years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on May 16, 2024, 06:49:16 AM

Commercial plane issues have decreased considerably, especially domestically, over the last 45 years.
That's what I had figured but it seems like once a month or so the news is talking about some malfunction like they're trying to spread fear because it's the cool thing to talk about now.

MaxConcrete

I'm wondering how the barge was able to take out the section of the bridge, especially the pier toward the center of the bridge, without hitting the power line pole.

UPDATE: As Chris mentioned, the section of railroad bridge toward the center was already missing. I should have looked at Google maps first!

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 16, 2024, 06:50:17 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 16, 2024, 06:49:16 AM

That's what I had figured but it seems like once a month or so the news is talking about some malfunction like they're trying to spread fear because it's the cool thing to talk about now.

Thing is you have a lot more news outlets running 24/7 who are all looking to cash in on the next exploitative headline.

seicer

Barges break loose all the time, sometimes because of high water events and sometimes because of improper moorings. The US 51 bridge over the Ohio River at Cairo, Ill. was just struck by a wayward barge this week - which is about a monthly occurrence. KYTC briefly closes the bridge for a quick inspection. There is almost never any damage to bridges by wayward barges because they often strike larger river bridge piers - but this is an exception.

Chris

The railroad span was already collapsed for a long time, on Google Earth historical imagery you can see it collapsed way back in 2004.

MikieTimT

In fact, the tracks are already ripped out at the end of the bridge, so even it if weren't collapsed, it was still out of use.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2ihsDoRpWpyZKggL6

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 16, 2024, 01:50:32 AMThen there is all these plane malfunctions, doors falling off and stuff. I was wondering is this stuff that is common and it's just now popular to talk about, so it's getting more attention, Or is it actually happening more and more. Same thing with train derailments after the one in ohio.

The plane malfunctions actually are happening with increased frequency—see John Oliver's Last Week Tonight segment on Boeing for a discussion of the management decisions that led to this.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 17, 2024, 09:49:31 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 16, 2024, 01:50:32 AMThen there is all these plane malfunctions, doors falling off and stuff. I was wondering is this stuff that is common and it's just now popular to talk about, so it's getting more attention, Or is it actually happening more and more. Same thing with train derailments after the one in ohio.

The plane malfunctions actually are happening with increased frequency—see John Oliver's Last Week Tonight segment on Boeing for a discussion of the management decisions that led to this.
It seems to be just Boeing and that is absolutely crazy how whistleblowers are suiciding themselves. I can't believe it isn't getting more attention.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 17, 2024, 11:07:45 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 17, 2024, 09:49:31 PM

It seems to be just Boeing and that is absolutely crazy how whistleblowers are suiciding themselves. I can't believe it isn't getting more attention.

https://youtu.be/bfA2p6Em7bI?si=QJD-c4ZabYV_6j6P
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.