News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: Zeffy on January 03, 2016, 05:42:58 PM
Quote from: empirestate on January 03, 2016, 05:15:25 PM
OK, so we've got Alabama, Kentucky and Tonawanda. Can we narrow it down to certain local sign companies that might be responsible for the horridness?

Don't forget Oklahoma.

God, how could I?

Quote from: cl94 on January 03, 2016, 08:20:00 PM
Hell, that doesn't even do it for New York. Hmmm, let's see...

-Randolph
-Village of Lancaster (batch of restriction signs that are too new for GSV)
-Fort Edward thinks it's in certain parts of Canada[/url]

If I could remember where all of the signs were, I'd post more locations. There's a lot of crap in New York.

I mean, it's the story of this entire thread, really...the examples from New York so far, except the Tonawanda squares of course, just aren't what I'd put into a category with some of the other really awful stuff we've seen. Matter of fact, even the Alabama ones, though decidedly off-model, aren't completely abhorrent in terms of plain appearance. It's not that I believe New York would be immune to whatever causes widespread areas of crappiness elsewhere–which, by the way, I'm beginning to doubt the existence of, to be honest–it's just that I'm not seeing evidence of it.

noelbotevera

Quote from: empirestate on January 04, 2016, 05:00:13 PM
OK, so we've got Alabama, Kentucky and Tonawanda. Can we narrow it down to certain local sign companies that might be responsible for the horridness?

Don't forget Oklahoma.

God, how could I?
CoNcESSiONS
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

cappicard

Quote from: riiga on January 04, 2016, 04:27:15 PM
Hardly worst of, more like unique or odd. And it looks quite good since the height is the same as the lane assignment sign.
It doesn't look bad. In the States, prohibition signs are typically square though.

cl94

Glens Falls. By far the worst speed limit sign I've ever seen. I'd rather it was one of those wooden speed limit signs you sometimes see developers put up. One font size for words AND numbers, wrong dimensions, wrong font, it goes on and on.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignGeek101

Quote from: cl94 on January 06, 2016, 10:56:40 PM
Glens Falls. By far the worst speed limit sign I've ever seen. I'd rather it was one of those wooden speed limit signs you sometimes see developers put up. One font size for words AND numbers, wrong dimensions, wrong font, it goes on and on.

I'd expect to see that maybe in a private parking lot with a speed of 5 or something. Not on a public road. That is potentially the worst speed limit sign I've seen. It definitely beats these, which I thought were pretty bad:

https://goo.gl/maps/MGrmbPCEbtK2
https://goo.gl/maps/eiowNnWxN6y

cappicard

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 06, 2016, 11:28:00 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 06, 2016, 10:56:40 PM

I'd expect to see that maybe in a private parking lot with a speed of 5 or something. Not on a public road. That is potentially the worst speed limit sign I've seen. It definitely beats these, which I thought were pretty bad:

https://goo.gl/maps/MGrmbPCEbtK2
https://goo.gl/maps/eiowNnWxN6y
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  :confused:

dcbjms

Before Kennedy Plaza got reconstructed, they used to have to those square crosswalk signs.  Which I honestly didn't anything of, since it's primarily used by Peter Pan Bus Lines/Greyhound and RIPTA, but now that I think of it, . . .

TravelingBethelite

GEDC1388 by CTRoads, on Flickr

In Fulton County, Arkansas, along US 63.

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 04, 2016, 05:16:56 PM
Quote from: empirestate on January 04, 2016, 05:00:13 PM

Don't forget Oklahoma.

God, how could I?
CoNcESSiONS

Don't forget the one that started it all.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

TravelingBethelite

BoNuS StREEt vieW pOinTS foR thE TrAIN. GUyS help IvE bEEn InfECted with CrAiG CouNtY DiSease. pLeaSe SOMeOne sEnd foR aN AmbulanCE cAll 911 HeLP nOW
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Zeffy

You know the song "Something in the Water" by Carrie Underwood? She's from Oklahoma. Clearly there must be something in the water there.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

wolfiefrick

The Old Webster district of Webster Groves, MO, a suburb of St Louis, recently started making street sign blades brown and using not Helvetica, not Arial, but TIMES NEW ROMAN.

Need I say more?

SignGeek101

Quote from: wolfiefrick on January 07, 2016, 07:24:06 PM
The Old Webster district of Webster Groves, MO, a suburb of St Louis, recently started making street sign blades brown and using not Helvetica, not Arial, but TIMES NEW ROMAN.

Need I say more?

I've seen Times New Roman street blades before. Not a fan of them, but I'll take it over Helvetica. Frankly, I'll take a lot of fonts over Helvetica.

Also notice the Arial on the right.

wolfiefrick

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 07, 2016, 08:36:23 PM
I've seen Times New Roman street blades before. Not a fan of them, but I'll take it over Helvetica. Frankly, I'll take a lot of fonts over Helvetica.
They aren't bad fonts by any means; Helvetica and Times New Roman are just overused. There is a myriad of fonts that are much better than Helvetica. It's too generic.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 07, 2016, 08:36:23 PM
Also notice the Arial on the right.
However, Arial sucks.

Rothman

How does one judge a "good" font from a "bad" font?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Rothman on January 08, 2016, 09:52:37 AM
Whether or not it's aesthetically pleasing to them/how much it reminds them of having to write papers in school.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

It all depends on how much is sits in the corners.

jakeroot

In terms of distance from the text, sans-serif is preferred for long-distance, whereas serif is preferred for close-up reading. The other way around is not necessarily a bad thing (some serif fonts look good on road signs, such as NPS Rawlinson Roadway), but for the most part, serif fonts belong in/on reading material, whereas sans-serif is (primarily) for everything else.

However, there is no right or wrong answer here. Good vs bad is, obviously, very subjective.

Road Hog

Serif fonts in small doses are an OK change of pace. Most likely place you'll see them on a traffic sign are on street blades or in historic districts.

JMAN_WiS&S

If I ever saw MS Comic Sans on a sign I would die. It must be the only font available on teachers computers since all teachers seem to use it for everything.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: JMAN12343610 on January 08, 2016, 11:41:36 PM
If I ever saw MS Comic Sans on a sign I would die. It must be the only font available on teachers computers since all teachers seem to use it for everything.
I remember seeing a picture posted here (forget if it was in this thread or not) of a sign in Comic Sans.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SignGeek101

To be honest, I don't know why there is so much hate for Comic Sans. It seems to be everywhere online at least.

noelbotevera

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 08, 2016, 11:55:36 PM
To be honest, I don't know why there is so much hate for Comic Sans. It seems to be everywhere online at least.
It's also used in school papers. Most of my pre algebra papers used comic sans for pretty much everything. It's been everywhere, that it's so overused.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

wolfiefrick

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 09, 2016, 06:18:37 AM
It's also used in school papers. Most of my pre algebra papers used comic sans for pretty much everything. It's been everywhere, that it's so overused.
If you're eleven years old you didn't take pre-algebra... At least not yet.

It's constantly used in my algebra papers and surprisingly it's me who gets the hate for not liking the font.

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: wolfiefrick on January 09, 2016, 09:34:28 AM

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 09, 2016, 06:18:37 AM
If you're eleven years old you didn't take pre-algebra... At least not yet.

iPhone

He would be. I don't know about PA's standards, but New York now starts in 4th-5th grade. I have a brother his age who has been doing algebra for more than a year.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.