The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Sorry, gentlemen but the Orlando Tragic sign is still the worst we've seen all week.

paulthemapguy

Lol are we going to start holding weekly contests for the most egregious traffic control elements?  I'm down.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 03, 2020, 03:46:04 PM
Lol are we going to start holding weekly contests for the most egregious traffic control elements?  I'm down.

The Best of the Worst?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 03, 2020, 09:02:46 AM
I'm most bothered by the option lane arrowheads not being the same size as the other four.

I imagine it probably looks particularly weird to your eyes since KDOT actually enlarges the arrowhead size on splitting arrows.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mrsman

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 01, 2020, 11:39:05 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 31, 2020, 10:02:17 PM
Oh, and if that's not enough? There's one going the other way, too!

So if I want to get to Amarillo, I take the centermost lane? But I'm in the leftmost lane! What shall I do!?!

P.S. This sign would be fine without the I-40 reassurance and if it was centered over the exit. But I guess accuracy or precision is overrated.

I would be OK with this sign if the three straight arrows were removed.

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2020, 09:55:41 AM

I like this sign as well, but I would make the left of these into an option type arrow.

For a multi-lane highway with maybe only an exit in the right two lanes (or right lane with an option lane in the next to right lane), I feel that Ontario Canada has the right approach of only signingthe lanes for the exit, since all can assume that the majority of lanes will keep you on the freeway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7716908,-79.3000977,3a,75y,279.44h,103.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8CFsCS5kmGt6gftiO5z10A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This is clear on the overhead sign as well as being clear on the ground mounted.  And it only references the right two lanes without mentioning any of the others; because they aren't necesary.

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on September 04, 2020, 09:56:44 AM
I like this sign as well, but I would make the left of these into an option type arrow.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

My South Africa inspired alternative:

Ned Weasel

Quote from: jakeroot on September 04, 2020, 03:45:01 PM
My South Africa inspired alternative:

ODOT and Caltrans both really need to hire some graphic designers to do their signs.  Probably NMDOT, too.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Max Rockatansky

Junction CA 207 from CA 4 eastbound:

207CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

207CAb by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

plain

Those signs might as well been ground mounted and made larger.

Also, a 24% grade???? YIKES!!!
Newark born, Richmond bred

STLmapboy

24% is the steepest grade I've ever seen. Previously it was 20, around Yosemite.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ozarkman417

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 04, 2020, 11:24:19 PM
24% is the steepest grade I've ever seen. Previously it was 20, around Yosemite.
Max posted a 26% UPhill sign here.. and whatever goes up, most come down.

Max Rockatansky

Given how many snow poles are on the Side of the highway I suspect the concern is the shield would get blocked by winter drifts.  And yes, it really is 24% downhill ahead on CA 4 towards Ebbetts Pass.  Sonora Pass has a 26% gradient sign. 

STLmapboy

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 04, 2020, 11:27:26 PM
A quick Google shows the steepest road in the US as Canton Ave in Pittsburgh, with a short but mighty 37% grade. 2007 GSV shows that there used to be a house at the base of it (with a wimpy guardrail in front). Bad idea, and the house is now gone. Can't imagine that it wasn't the subject of an accident or two.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

andrepoiy

Just use Ontario style arrows like you see on my signature. Haha.

mrsman

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 11:00:17 AM
Quote from: mrsman on September 04, 2020, 09:56:44 AM

Something like that, with a shorter straight arrow.

Quote from: andrepoiy on September 05, 2020, 09:52:01 PM
Just use Ontario style arrows like you see on my signature. Haha.

Indeed.  That would work well for most option lane exits that are 1.5 lanes.  It would work well for the I-40/ K Turnpike sign upthread that promted the discussion.

I-40 west can still be mentioned, but it doesn't need (and should not have) straight arrows since the majority of the lanes still go there.

D-Dey65

Okay, MDOT. I understand that you rebuilt Maryland House in the early-2010's, and as much as we all love button copy signs, too many of them age poorly and have to be replaced. But did you really have to replace the big red sign facing wrong way traffic at the northbound entrance with something so damn small?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Overhead_NB_Wrong_Way_Sign_@_Maryland_House;_2019.jpg

Takumi

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 05, 2020, 11:41:04 AM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 04, 2020, 11:27:26 PM
A quick Google shows the steepest road in the US as Canton Ave in Pittsburgh, with a short but mighty 37% grade. 2007 GSV shows that there used to be a house at the base of it (with a wimpy guardrail in front). Bad idea, and the house is now gone. Can't imagine that it wasn't the subject of an accident or two.
That house looks like it was about to collapse whether or not a car went through it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

STLmapboy

This is not cRAig CounTy but it comes close.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

SectorZ

Brandon

Quote from: SectorZ on September 27, 2020, 07:22:42 AM
Quote from: STLmapboy on September 26, 2020, 09:44:58 PM

Is that in Comic Sans?

No.  It's a mix of Clearview and FHWA, as well as upper and lower case letters, and font widths as well as a misaligned "y" to boot.

It sure as hell qualifies for this thread.  "EXpressway"
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

CNGL-Leudimin

This is not craIG county but it comes close.

FTFY :sombrero:

It appears this sign came up after the Ohio River Bridges project was completed. Before 2016, an all-Clearview sign that had been up since ca. September 2007 was in its place.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CardInLex

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 27, 2020, 09:13:23 AM
This is not craIG county but it comes close.

FTFY :sombrero:

It appears this sign came up after the Ohio River Bridges project was completed. Before 2016, an all-Clearview sign that had been up since ca. September 2007 was in its place.

The signs on this stretch have been painful to see for years. The Muhammad Ali Blvd 1/2 mile features a homemade 2 and an upside down W as an M. And further up, an Indianapolis uses an uppercase P.

However, the past few weeks there have been a lot of new overhead panels installed in Louisville. So, maybe these will get replaced. (New APLs on 71, 264, and other new overhead on 64).

The crazy "expressway"  is left over from the Ohio River Bridges project. During construction the word "expressway"  was removed to put downward arrows in place to help maintain traffic.

J3ebrules

It looks like they originally forgot the Y and had to slap it on from the top of a tractor trailer pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey style as they drove under the sign.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

formulanone

There's an air of "temporary" in those signs, yet they've been up a few years now...

[/url]

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.