AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Houston: Grand Parkway segment B gets record of decision  (Read 4431 times)

MaxConcrete

• Last Login: Today at 06:02:51 PM
Re: Houston: Grand Parkway segment B gets record of decision
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 10:29:23 PM »

So, in all likelihood, will all segments of 99 be built, and if so, will 99 be a complete loop?
-What will happen to SH 146?  Will that be co-signed with 99, or re-signed as 99, or will 99 'end' at 146?

I think that segment A will never get built. It's just too unfeasible. I think segments B and C will get built considering how northern Brazoria County is booming, but 99 won't be a complete loop.

146 will probably get widened in Kemah eventually, but nothing else.

Construction is in progress to upgrade SH 146 to a freeway through Seabrook and Kemah, including a new bridge over the Clear Lake channel. There are plans to extend the freeway to south of SH 96. Going further south past SH 96, it is planned to be a 6 lane divided highway.

I don't know what the chances of are of Grand Parkway section A being built. As for sections B and C, last year TxDOT attempted to delete them from the 10-year plan (the UTP), and there was an outpouring of support in favor of the project, so TxDOT restored them to the plan. Strangely, sections B and C are absent from the 2021 draft UTP. I don't know if that means the project is delayed/suspended, or if work is continuing behind the scenes. Since the project has always been planned to be tolled, and any budget reductions at TxDOT should not threaten the project.

bluecountry

• Last Login: August 07, 2020, 10:42:55 AM
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »

If they are upgrading 146 then

-Why not build segment A
-Why not re-sign 146 as 99?

nguyenhm16

• Last Login: Today at 03:34:51 PM
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2020, 02:52:17 PM »

-Why not build segment A

There are a lot of homes and businesses between where segment B meets I-45 and SH146. Certainly it would be unfeasible for segment A to follow FM646 to SH146.

thisdj78

• Last Login: Today at 07:43:33 AM
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2020, 12:11:12 AM »

-Why not build segment A

There are a lot of homes and businesses between where segment B meets I-45 and SH146. Certainly it would be unfeasible for segment A to follow FM646 to SH146.

Itís interesting because Highway 96, just to the north, has plenty of ROW to build a limited access highway east of Highway 3. I remember when 96 was being built and wondering if it was the Grand Parkway.

If they can figure out a way to utilize the 96 ROW for Segment A and swing it down to meet up with Segment B, they can avoid a lot of businesses and homes, but I think either way, itís unavoidable that some will need to be removed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:15:17 AM by thisdj78 »

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 02:14:26 PM
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2020, 04:48:16 PM »

Quote from: MaxConcrete
Construction is in progress to upgrade SH 146 to a freeway through Seabrook and Kemah, including a new bridge over the Clear Lake channel. There are plans to extend the freeway to south of SH 96. Going further south past SH 96, it is planned to be a 6 lane divided highway.

For TX-146 going South of the intersection with TX-96, I hope TX DOT at least builds the 6-lane divided highway in a manner where it can be upgraded into a limited access highway later. That would take into consideration possible development farther South. Hopefully they'll preserve as much ROW as possible.

The junction between I-45, TX-6 and TX-146 is an important one. I think TX-146 is worthy of a freeway upgrade going by the oil refineries in Texas City. It has a short freeway segment from the FM-1764 freeway intersection up to TX-197. Then TX-146 is a wide, divided road with a freeway-wide median. Overall TX-146 wouldn't be all that difficult to upgrade from Kemah down to I-45. I would expect some travelers wanting to visit tourist spots in Kemah, Seabrook and down in Galveston to use TX-146 as a back door in order to avoid Houston.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.