News:

See the Forum Status page for any planned Forum maintenance or alerts on Forum outages.

Main Menu

Daily conversation: What is the worst possible answer?

Started by kphoger, July 17, 2025, 10:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 08, 2026, 10:57:10 AMCongress will not allow you on their website if you are a bot

That just sounds like a challenge, not a roadblock.


kphoger


He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger


He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

pderocco

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 08, 2026, 06:10:04 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 08, 2026, 02:03:42 AM9/8/2026: What is the best DOT?

My late mother's friend, Dot, made incredible cakes and cookies.
But her name gave her a terrible inferiority complex.

pderocco


Scott5114

2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?

The DOTs want to save money and effort on replacing or patching them when a certain individual in DC renames their states.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?

Some states are shy.

I-57/Route 66 Fan

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?
The factory in China did not know how to spell the states name.
Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true

Big John

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?
Some states want you to get lost.

PColumbus73

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?

After Cheers aired, it became irrelevant

Declan127

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?
So they can trade them
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 30, 2025, 09:45:27 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 30, 2025, 04:48:23 AMJuly 30:
The Interstate shield contains the state name because __________.

The people who planned the system foresaw the founding of Alanland and a world in which the Interstate shield both does and does not contain the state name.

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?

The people who planned the system foresaw the founding of Alanland and a world in which the Interstate shield both does and does not contain the state name.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?

Circumcision was covered by health insurance, so why not!

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

#5790
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?

If New York put their name on their I-84, I-86, and I-87 shields, route number duplication would not have occurred in other states. Here's why:

Since there's no duplicates of I-759, I-985, I-238 which solely belong to states which consistently use the state name in the interstate shield, New York needs state-named shields; merely getting Connecticut to do so is not enough. Maine was so worried about route number duplication that it even refused to sign their I-495, despite using the state name on a regular basis. And not just a few weird bubble shields on the LIE, CBE, LL Cool J, and the Schmeckleboro Pike.

And I'm not just picking on New York; Tennessee can't have Interstate 69 because it refuses to use the state on its shields. Ohio doesn't get to build any more of Interstate 74 due to their neutering fiasco just to spite West Virginia's interstate hopes and dreams, and Oregon even took away a piece of its interstate since it felt shame for going devoid of a state name. And don't get me started on all these stray Interstate 110s or  295s, and North Carolina picking all sorts of new numbers just to make sure nobody else tries to grab them, but even they LOST I-42 TO ARKANSAS!!1!!

So do we need any more proof? I mean, besides this weird and pointless rant?

The_Ginger

Quote from: formulanone on September 09, 2026, 08:40:42 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?

If New York put their name on their I-84, I-86, and I-87 shields, route number duplication would not have occurred in other states. Here's why:

Since there's no duplicates of I-759, I-985, I-238 which solely belong to states which consistently use the state name in the interstate shield, New York needs state-named shields; merely getting Connecticut to do so is not enough. Maine was so worried about route number duplication that it even refused to sign their I-495, despite using the state name on a regular basis.

And I'm not just picking on New York; Tennessee can't have Interstate 69 because it refuses to use the state on its shields. Ohio doesn't get to build any more of Interstate 74 due to their neutering fiasco, and Oregon even took away a piece of its interstate since it felt shame for going devoid of a state name. And don't get me started on all these stray Interstate 110s and 295s...

So do we need any more proof? I mean, besides this weird and pointless rant?
What about I-73/I-74 in West Virginia, which is known to use state-name shields on all ground-mounted shields?   :D
"A beltway? What in the world is that?"

He/him pronouns, please.
Travel Mapping · TM Rail · TM Air · Counties

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AM2026-09-09:
Why do some Interstate shields not include the state name?
The DOT put a big sign at the state line to tell you what state you're in, and they assume you're smart enough not to need a reminder. The states that do put the state name on Interstate shields have worse education systems, so they do need the reminder.

GaryV


MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 07:08:25 AMWhy do some Interstate shields not include the state name?

Defense against identity theft.  It's a real concern these days.

kphoger

10 SEP 2026

What two forum members might actually be sock-puppets or alt-accounts of each other?

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2026, 10:59:49 AM10 SEP 2026

What two forum members might actually be sock-puppets or alt-accounts of each other?

You and me.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2026, 10:59:49 AM10 SEP 2026

What two forum members might actually be sock-puppets or alt-accounts of each other?

I-90 and I-94RoadRunner
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 50
MA 35, 40, 53, 63, 79, 109, 126, 138, 141, 151
NH 78, 111A(E); CA 90; NY 40, 366; CT 193, 320; VT 2A, 5A; ME 11, 17, 172; PA 3, 51, 60; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; WA 202; QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 36

I-57/Route 66 Fan

Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2026, 10:59:49 AM10 SEP 2026

What two forum members might actually be sock-puppets or alt-accounts of each other?
Me and elsmere241
Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2026, 10:59:49 AM10 SEP 2026

What two forum members might actually be sock-puppets or alt-accounts of each other?
agentsteel53 and jakeroot.