Daily conversation: What is the worst possible answer?

Started by kphoger, July 17, 2025, 10:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 21, 2026, 05:42:13 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 21, 2026, 05:29:41 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

It bypasses Sugar Grove, IL.
2 things:
1. I think this is the winner!!!!
2. Did I start a meme on here, by accident?
Are you not aware that you're being made fun of?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.


Sapphuby

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

Whether or not it has more than 250 AADT so that it can be a fritzowl designation.

pderocco

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?
If they say it is, they mean it's still not good enough for California to sign it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on September 22, 2026, 03:07:00 AM
Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?
If they say it is, they mean it's still not good enough for California to sign it.

For the most part here the reasons why particular corridors aren't "Interstate design standard" are fairly obvious. 

kphoger

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 21, 2026, 05:42:13 PM1. I think this is the winner!!!!

It was my question.  And you are wrong.  It wasn't the winning answer.

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 21, 2026, 05:42:13 PM2. Did I start a meme on here, by accident?

There's a yo momma joke in there somewhere...

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

Your favorite highway relocated to Indiana.

xonhulu

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

It steals Christmas from Whoville?

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

If Rothman thinks you're a wimp for counting it.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?
Unsportmanlike conduct, exiting and entering at same interchange. 15 mile penalty, repeat 2nd down.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of 45 FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn. Unabashed HAWK hater. ORU '26.

Route Log
Clinches
Counties
TM

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

A pebble moves at the end of the route, so there's 1/4 inch you don't have yet.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 50
MA 35, 40, 53, 63, 79, 109, 126, 138, 141, 151
NH 78, 111A(E); CA 90; NY 40, 366; CT 193, 320; VT 2A, 5A; ME 11, 17, 172; PA 3, 51, 60; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; WA 202; QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 36

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?
If you didn't drive ever nanometer of pavement.  For example, if you're clinching NY 5, and you turn to go into McDonald's here, even if you re-enter at the same driveway, there will still be small section of pavement (~15-20 feet or so) that you didn't drive, so you must turn around and re-clinch that section.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

Some pedant determines that you have to travel both directions and all lanes of travel in order to count it.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

A shield error is fixed post-clinch, which means that that portion of the road used to be a different route than it is now:  what used to be a short gap in the route is now a short gap in your clinch.

(I'm kind of proud of this answer.)

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

I-57/Route 66 Fan

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?
You do the entirety of both directions of the 405, but it was disqualified due to lack of traffic at the time you were on it.
Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true

Declan127

Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

I-57/Route 66 Fan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 23, 2026, 11:21:55 AM
Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

Your favorite highway relocated to Indiana.
I was going to say something, but I know the forum's rule about politics.
Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true

kphoger


He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mapmikey

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

Sphincter was not MUTCD compliant.

I-57/Route 66 Fan

Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

The sun becomes a red giant and completely melts the highway, necessitating that it be removed from Travel Mapping (the highway, not the sun).

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

Your team didn't secure a playoff spot because one second was added onto the game clock.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on July 17, 2025, 10:50:32 PMBut of course, this is a roads forum, so the conversation starter should be road-related.
Quote from: GaryV on September 23, 2026, 02:26:56 PMYour team didn't secure a playoff spot because one second was added onto the game clock.

Well, technically, I didn't say the answers had to be road-related...  *sigh*

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

.
Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?
You did part of it at night, making you unable to see the whole roadway.

NE2

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 23, 2026, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2026, 11:20:57 AM23 SEP 2026

What's one reason a clinch might be disqualified?

Sphincter was not MUTCD compliant.

Was someone trying to clinch the Hyrox race?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".