OFFICIAL: Houston Roadmeet (Jan/Feb 2027)

Started by CoreySamson, October 31, 2025, 03:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

(Original Thread Title: "Gauging Interest For a Houston Roadmeet (January 2027?))

I mentioned this elsewhere on the forum recently, but I'm curious to get some feedback. I'm contemplating hosting a roadmeet in Houston sometime in 2027, most likely in January before it gets hot in the summer. I do want to note that my life is probably going to change in a big way in the next year or so as I graduate and go on to grad school, so I will have a much better picture on whether I can host sometime midway through 2026. But Houston is the largest US city where there has not yet been a roadmeet, so I would love the opportunity to host a meet there!

Here are some ideas I have for things to see:
- Button copy signs in Memorial Park and on US 90 ALT
- New TX 288 toll lanes
- I-69 arch bridges near downtown
- Those awful Westheimer traffic signals
- The ship channel bridges on I-610 and Beltway 8
- Spur 5 construction
- TX 146 expansion through Kemah and/or Fred Hartman bridge
- Washburn Tunnel

Would anyone else be interested in such a meet, and what items would people be interested in? And is January a good month to hold a meet?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of 45 FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn. Unabashed HAWK hater. ORU '26.

Route Log
Clinches
Counties
TM


Rothman

My wife and I would be interested, but can't commit to the timing this far out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jon12791


A.J. Bertin

I would be very interested because it would finally give me a reason to visit and explore Houston!  I love the idea.  Is it realistic for me to be able to attend?  I'm not sure but I'd love to try.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

I have only been through Houston one time and that was in 2013, would love to see more of the city and the freeway system but not sure if I can make it work with my schedule, will definitely keep this in mind
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Palmyra, PA
Next door to the chocolate capitol of the world !

skatcher

Sounds intriguing!! It would be a nice diversion after the hurry-up of following my Bulls during college football season, plus it gives me an excuse to visit friends in Bay City...AND get me some In-N-Out!!!!  :bigass:

SSOWorld

I've "done my own road meet" in Houston in 2024 and got much of this that I have little interest in trying again.  Toll 288 is not worth the arm and the leg I paid for it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CoreySamson

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 05, 2026, 08:07:11 PMI've "done my own road meet" in Houston in 2024 and got much of this that I have little interest in trying again.  Toll 288 is not worth the arm and the leg I paid for it.
I'm personally glad I drove it the week it opened, before tolling started.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of 45 FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn. Unabashed HAWK hater. ORU '26.

Route Log
Clinches
Counties
TM

CoreySamson

#8
Hey everyone! I've gotten my job situation figured out and stabilized, so I am now officially announcing my Houston road meet for January or February 2027! Please vote for what dates work. Jan 16th is out of the question as the Houston Marathon is that weekend and one of the main attractions of the meet is on the marathon route. Tentatively, I'm planning lunch to be at the Pappasito's by NRG Stadium. Houston weather is generally nice and mild in the winter, although random cold snaps and severe thunderstorms are not out of the question. More details will come later!

Quote from: skatcher on January 04, 2026, 08:38:35 PMSounds intriguing!! It would be a nice diversion after the hurry-up of following my Bulls during college football season, plus it gives me an excuse to visit friends in Bay City...AND get me some In-N-Out!!!!  :bigass:
If you're going out to Bay City, you might want to visit the FM 457 "Corkscrew Bridge" in Sargent while you're out there. Worth your time!
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of 45 FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn. Unabashed HAWK hater. ORU '26.

Route Log
Clinches
Counties
TM

TBKS1

I might be able to attend this depending on whether or not college stuff gets in the way. I was already planning a trip to somewhere in Southeast Texas around this time period, so this works out pretty well.
~ Ethan S. Hester

Travel Mapping page: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=TBKS1
mob-rule: https://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/tbks1.gif
Route shield photo log page: (link)