AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)  (Read 26545 times)

Henry

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 08:39:49 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
Re: I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2019, 10:25:22 AM »

According to Wikipedia, by comparison, you'll travel 14.87 miles on I-895 from one end to the other versus 15.24 on I-95 between the same two endpoints.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 10:13:00 PM
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »

The contractor has started to hang the structural steel on which the northbound lanes of the reconstructed Canton Viaduct will rest.  I saw them at work last night.  Associated with that are short closures in the overnight hours of both directions of I-895 to deliver the steel assemblies by truck.  Originally, I think the plan had been to close all lanes of I-895 over weekends to get the steel delivered and placed.

A temporary-looking pipe (presumably to carry water for firefighting if needed) is being installed on the walkway in the northbound tube (it used to have a railing, and there were booths where police officers watched traffic pass by and presumably responded on foot to incidents - they had to walk that walkway to and from their duty stations - probably not the healthiest place to go for a walk) - I think the booths were removed in the 1980's as part of the renovation work done starting in 1985 or 1986.

I know that some of the existing pipes in the tubes for carrying water do not work, and those are to be replaced or repaired under this contract.

The repair to the stonework next to the northbound lanes at the south tunnel portal is continuing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 02:33:27 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2019, 09:11:58 AM »

Drove I-895 on a nice sunny weekday recently, and had a chance to look at both work zones (Patapsco Flats Bridge and the Canton Viaduct replacement project (and related work in the tubes)). 

The Patapsco Flats Bridge has been replaced, and traffic is now running in both directions but only in one lane.  The bridge work was being inspected last week, and the contractor was busy replacing median Jersey wall sections north and south of the bridge.  This project should be complete soon.

The Canton Viaduct replacement work continues.  Half or maybe more of the northbound lanes of the viaduct have had new piers built, and steel stringers installed.  At the south end of the viaduct, it looks like the contractor will be able to pour concrete soon, starting just north of the northern portal. 

There's also a lot of work going on at the south portal, where the stonework on the northbound side approaching the portal is getting lots of attention - some of the stone has been removed and so far not replaced. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mrhappy1261

• I want it in Greenville!!

• Last Login: Today at 12:16:26 AM
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »

Should I-895 be widened to six lanes or keep it four? I know it bypasses downtown, but I was just wondering. I love when roads get widened, but I hate the construction they do on it.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 09:22:50 PM
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »

Should I-895 be widened to six lanes or keep it four? I know it bypasses downtown, but I was just wondering. I love when roads get widened, but I hate the construction they do on it.

I doubt that MDTA is interested in adding a new tube to the Harbor Tunnel whatsoever if that is your intent by asking this question.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:00 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »

I doubt that MDTA is interested in adding a new tube to the Harbor Tunnel whatsoever if that is your intent by asking this question.
As far as whether it's warranted, I doubt it. While the current construction on 895 is not favorable, the combination of 95 and 895 generally handles the traffic thrown at it. It's getting there on 95 that is the bigger hassle. There's also 695 as a relief valve as needed.

mrhappy1261

• I want it in Greenville!!

• Last Login: Today at 12:16:26 AM
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2019, 05:58:29 PM »

As far as whether it's warranted, I doubt it. While the current construction on 895 is not favorable, the combination of 95 and 895 generally handles the traffic thrown at it. It's getting there on 95 that is the bigger hassle. There's also 695 as a relief valve as needed.
It's been a while since I've been on it, but since it's under construction I think i'll use I-95 (or I-695) as an alternative. The only thing I think they need to widen is the bridge that goes to I-95 south. It's only one lane.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 12:28:17 AM
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »

I-95 and I-895 is a 12-lane corridor thru Baltimore and across the harbor.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting died.

Alps

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2019, 07:34:56 PM »

Yes, but it gets congested on the 8-lane part to the north heading in (or out) at peak times.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 12:28:17 AM
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »

Yes, but it gets congested on the 8-lane part to the north heading in (or out) at peak times.

The northern I-95/I-895 junction?  I-95 north of there is 12 lanes (4-2-2-4) up to White Marsh Blvd.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting died.

Alps

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2019, 10:02:45 PM »

The northern I-95/I-895 junction?  I-95 north of there is 12 lanes (4-2-2-4) up to White Marsh Blvd.
It's 8 general purpose lanes, which remain congested with light use of the express lanes. And it's 8 lanes beyond the end of the express lanes as well, and backs up really badly in that long stretch with no exits.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »

Agree with Alps.

I do not think MDTA has any interest in widening I-895, nor should they.

Since I-895 was completed in 1957 (it was just called the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (or BHT) then, with no route number, the I-895 signs did not appear until decades later), there have been a lot of new things built near both tunnel portals.

The north portal is now near the FMT (Fort McHenry Tunnel) north portal, fan building, toll plaza and maintenance yards, and I-95 was built as a long and wide bridge over I-895 in the first half of the 1980's, with the piers that carry I-95 neatly surrounding the I-895 Canton Viaduct (now being replaced).

A wider I-895 might mean that the bridge carrying the 8 lanes of I-95 would need to be reconstructed as part of relocating or re configuring its piers. Send money.  Lots of money.

At the south I-895 portal, there are petroleum tanks close by I-895 to the east, and a large car export and import terminal to the west. Some of this could be moved, but would cost plenty. Send more money.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.