AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-66 HO/T Lanes  (Read 69521 times)

1995hoo

• Last Login: July 13, 2020, 09:39:35 PM
Re: I-66 HO/T Lanes
« Reply #450 on: July 08, 2020, 12:56:38 PM »

It looks to me from that rendering that Braddock Road traffic will be able to reach the outbound express lanes, but not the inbound express lanes (at least not directly, anyway).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jmiles32

• Last Login: July 10, 2020, 06:45:43 PM
« Reply #451 on: July 08, 2020, 03:18:00 PM »

It looks to me from that rendering that Braddock Road traffic will be able to reach the outbound express lanes, but not the inbound express lanes (at least not directly, anyway).

Yeah, I thought that connection omission (rather important IMO) was interesting so I asked about it at a project public hearing a while back. The answer I received went something along the lines of we wanted to add it but to do so would be nearly impossible due to the little if any remaining room within the interchange's proximity (might be saving the rest of the room for VA-28 express lanes who knows). When I then asked how someone coming from Braddock Road would theoretically access the eastbound express lanes, I was told that accessing them via Westfields Blvd/VA-28, US-29/I-66 (looks like there is a planned access point in between the US-29 and VA-28 interchanges), or further down I-66 east should be sufficient.  However, if down the road VDOT/Cintra feel that a potential connection here could make more than enough money to justify the likely expensive ramp, then I'm sure it would get done.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

1995hoo

• Last Login: July 13, 2020, 09:39:35 PM
« Reply #452 on: July 08, 2020, 06:38:10 PM »

I suppose another option would be to loop around via Stone Road and US-29, though I don’t know how the traffic is on that route. My mom used to work in that area at Ormond Stone Intermediate (the junior high school a little further west on Braddock Road), but she’s been retired for long enough that I’m not inclined to ask her about traffic.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.