News:

Cloudflare is enabled due to bots continuing to hammer the Forum.

Main Menu

"Biggest Holiday of the Year"

Started by ZLoth, September 06, 2026, 02:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 08, 2026, 08:03:21 AMyou don't know where the secret holiday menu is

Soon to be called the America Holiday Menu.


kphoger

I voted for Christmas, even though it's neither my favorite holiday nor the one that I think is most important.  But it's biggest, in that it affects more people and in a bigger way than any other holiday.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on September 06, 2026, 03:41:12 PMDrinking - Thanksgiving

More so than New Year's Eve?  That surprises me.

Quote from: kurumi on September 07, 2026, 01:38:21 AM(Also, if your church's Christmas Eve service starts with a hymn other than "O Come all ye Faithful", and ends with any other than "Silent Night" and "Joy to the World" in that order, I'd be curious to know what they are)

It's probably safe to say I've never attended a Christmas Eve service that starts and ends with those specific songs.  The first two, maybe, even probably.  But following Silent Night with Joy to the World would seem really jarring to me.

Typically, at our church, Silent Night is the last element in the order of service on Christmas Eve.  We sing it with candles, then put out the candles and leave the building.  Joy to the World, though, is typically the first element in the order of service the following Sunday.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 08, 2026, 10:38:49 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on September 06, 2026, 03:41:12 PMDrinking - Thanksgiving

More so than New Year's Eve?  That surprises me.

You're more likely to be with your crazy uncle on Thanksgiving than NYE and need the social lubricant to survive. You can also pass out and blame it on the tryptophan.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 08, 2026, 10:47:23 AM
Quote from: kphoger on September 08, 2026, 10:38:49 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on September 06, 2026, 03:41:12 PMDrinking - Thanksgiving

More so than New Year's Eve?  That surprises me.

You're more likely to be with your crazy uncle on Thanksgiving than NYE and need the social lubricant to survive. You can also pass out and blame it on the tryptophan.

I think drinking is bigger on NYE for the under 35 crowd and bigger on Thanksgiving for the over 35 crowd.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 08, 2026, 11:01:35 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 08, 2026, 10:47:23 AM
Quote from: kphoger on September 08, 2026, 10:38:49 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on September 06, 2026, 03:41:12 PMDrinking - Thanksgiving

More so than New Year's Eve?  That surprises me.

You're more likely to be with your crazy uncle on Thanksgiving than NYE and need the social lubricant to survive. You can also pass out and blame it on the tryptophan.

I think drinking is bigger on NYE for the under 35 crowd and bigger on Thanksgiving for the over 35 crowd.

Hmmm. I don't know if I agree with this. Having worked in restaurants for a lot of NYEs, 12/31 seems like the day when a lot of older people who don't normally drink decide to tie one on. Plus lots of <35 go to bars with friends both the night before and sometimes the night of Thanksgiving (if the bars are open) because they're back home and catch up with high school/college friends.

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on September 08, 2026, 06:48:43 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2026, 06:16:56 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on September 08, 2026, 04:33:51 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2026, 03:21:08 PMNo option for Gemerton's Day?

Like Super Bowl Sunday, not an official holiday.

It's extremely official. It has a schedule and everything.

Not according to the list of Federal Holidays as published by the Office of Personnel Management.

Better watch out—this is how you motivate me to create a whole-ass Gemerton's Day skin for the forum to prove a point  :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on September 06, 2026, 05:58:27 PMWhere's Kirkday?

When I first saw this reference, I wasn't sure if SPUI Moraseski was referring to the anniversary of Star Trek's first airing or -- more likely for him -- the anniversary of Charlie Kirk's assassination.
Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2026, 07:22:41 PMBetter watch out—this is how you motivate me to create a whole-ass Gemerton's Day skin for the forum to prove a point  :-D

Hey, speaking of your motivation...

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 17, 2024, 02:13:07 AMUh, could we get some sort of dark theme in the meantime before Button Copy 2.0 is done?
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 17, 2024, 07:16:06 AMSorry. I just keep forgetting/not putting aside the time to work on it. :(

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

I think it's Christmas pretty obviously overall. Society shuts down that day. Thanksgiving is second followed by 4th of July/Halloween.
My username has been outdated since August 2023 but I'm too lazy to change it

Henry

If you live in a northern climate, then Christmas is easily a big deal in those parts. As a native of Chicago, I voted for that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on September 10, 2026, 08:09:27 PMIf you live in a northern climate, then Christmas is easily a big deal in those parts. As a native of Chicago, I voted for that.

It is definitely the biggest here in the Central Valley of California.  My wife does the real deal full scale Catholic calendar celebration each year.  I got yelled at once for putting the decorations away early. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 10, 2026, 09:49:31 PMMy wife does the real deal full scale Catholic calendar celebration each year.  I got yelled at once for putting the decorations away early. 

There's more than one definition of "full".  Does she leave it up through February 1 (the full 40 days, up till the Día de la Candelaria)?

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

I-57/Route 66 Fan

I only voted Thanksgiving because, it's supposedly the busiest travel day of the year.
Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true

kphoger

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 11, 2026, 10:43:45 AMI only voted Thanksgiving because, it's supposedly the busiest travel day of the year.

Wrong.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2026, 10:46:08 AM
Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 11, 2026, 10:43:45 AMI only voted Thanksgiving because, it's supposedly the busiest travel day of the year.

Wrong.

It's not the busiest flying day, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the biggest "drive to your relatives' day".

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 11, 2026, 11:00:04 AMIt's not the busiest flying day, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the biggest "drive to your relatives' day".

The day before, I think, is the busiest driving day of the year.  Not only are there holiday travelers, but also everyone heading to and from work because it's a normal day for them.  Of course, that doesn't take into consideration the "to your relatives" part.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2026, 10:06:53 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 10, 2026, 09:49:31 PMMy wife does the real deal full scale Catholic calendar celebration each year.  I got yelled at once for putting the decorations away early. 

There's more than one definition of "full".  Does she leave it up through February 1 (the full 40 days, up till the Día de la Candelaria)?

Yes

kphoger


He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2026, 11:52:31 AMThat's hardcore.

Indeed it is.  I'm honestly surprised we never have gotten pushback from the HOA over it.

thspfc

Tier 1 holidays (define their entire months):
Christmas
Thanksgiving

Tier 2 holidays (fun):
4th
Halloween

Tier 3 holidays (well-known day off):
Memorial Day
Labor Day
New Years

Tier 4 holidays (possibly a day off, or not officially a holiday and not all that fun, but always know it's happening):
MLK Day
Valentines
St. Patrick's
Easter
Mother's Day
Father's Day
Juneteenth

Tier 5 holidays (usually don't know it's happening):
President's Day
Ash Wednesday
Palm Sunday
Good Friday
Columbus Day
Veterans Day

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on September 11, 2026, 01:27:45 PMTier 1 holidays (define their entire months):
Christmas
Thanksgiving

Tier 2 holidays (fun):
4th
Halloween

Not that I'm saying that Halloween is Tier 1, but it certainly defines the entire month of October for me.

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on September 11, 2026, 01:27:45 PMTier 1 holidays (define their entire months):
Christmas
Thanksgiving

Tier 2 holidays (fun):
4th
Halloween
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 11, 2026, 01:29:53 PMNot that I'm saying that Halloween is Tier 1, but it certainly defines the entire month of October for me.

I don't think it does.  But I have the opposite issue:  I don't think Thanksgiving defines the entire month of November either.

Quote from: thspfc on September 11, 2026, 01:27:45 PMTier 4 holidays ( ... always know it's happening):
Easter

Tier 5 holidays (usually don't know it's happening):
Good Friday

That's weird, considering it's the same week-end.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2026, 01:35:36 PMI don't think it does.  But I have the opposite issue:  I don't think Thanksgiving defines the entire month of November either.

Let's Rorschach it then. What's the first thing that comes to mind when I say October? November?

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 11, 2026, 01:37:15 PMWhat's the first thing that comes to mind when I say October?

Autumn colors.  Followed by Halloween

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 11, 2026, 01:37:15 PMNovember?

Thanksgiving.  Followed by cold rain.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.