News:

The server restarts at 2 AM daily. This results in a short period of downtime, so if you get a 502 error at that time, that is why.

Main Menu

San Bernardino Freeway Name

Started by cahwyguy, September 13, 2026, 02:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahwyguy

I recently received a comment on our podcast on the San Bernardino Freeway, noting that freeway name supposedly extended from the (now) I-10/I-215 interchange up I-215 to the point where the Barstow freeway began, possibly extending onto what is now Route 259 (former LRN 43) and onto former Route 30 (now I-210).

I asked for documentation, and he sent two 1963 era AAA maps.

So here's the question: Has anyone else heard of the "San Bernardino Freeway" name moving off I-10 in San Bernardino, and running up the LRN 31/LRN 43 freeway (US 395, old I-15, I-15E, I-215) to at least the point where LRN 43 split off, and possibly continuing along LRN 43 to LRN 190 (Sign Route 30, Route 30, I-210)?

If so, does anyone have more documentation? Could this be an AAA hallucination? Should I drop a note to the ACSC archivist?

Daniel
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways


Max Rockatansky

Didn't some of the CHPW volumes even make reference to the name extending all the way to Redlands? 

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

andy3175

I've seen the Auto Club of Southern California maps that show the San Bernardino Freeway on both I-10 and I-215. Mike Ballard's page (https://www.socalregion.com/highways/highway-notes/) references this naming on both routes as well.

The official Caltrans naming roster for highways, bridges, tunnels, and other facilities on the state highway system (https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media/programs/research-innovation-system-information/documents/place-names/web-2021-named-freeways-final-a11y.pdf) only recognizes the I-10 portion being named San Bernardino Freeway.  See page 21, which states that the San Bernardino Freeway follows I-10 through Caltrans Districts 7 and 8 from the City of Los Angeles to San Bernardino County (not city, interestingly) between Route 101 and I-215 by the Commission on 11/18/1954.

Another document, a traffic volumes document from 2002, could suggest I-215 is Riverside Freeway to the south of the I-10 interchange and as San Bernardino Freeway to the north of it, but it is difficult to discern. See https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media/programs/traffic-operations/documents/census/aadt/f0017600-2002-aadt-volumes.pdf page 29. But when you look at the modern traffic volume map (https://gis.data.ca.gov/datasets/d8833219913c44358f2a9a71bda57f76_0/explore?location=34.139499%2C-117.303881%2C15), it shows Riverside Freeway extending along I-215 north to SR 210, where it changes to the Barstow Freeway. That is an interesting point for the freeway name change, since SR 210 was built west of this intersection in 2007.

I will have to ask Mike about the I-215 San Bernardino Freeway naming. My best guess is that the freeway needed to go into the City of San Bernardino itself? The I-10/I-215 interchange is located in the City of Colton. I-215 enters the City of San Bernardino just north of I-10 and connects to its downtown area. I-10 also enters the City of San Bernardino just east of I-215, but it does not approach the city center. Looking at the traffic volumes interactive map linked above, the map shows San Bernardino Freeway naming extending east all the way to Banning. I don't believe that was historically correct, but maybe something has changed? Or maybe the map is incorrect? Others here may have more insight.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

cahwyguy

I was aware that the Caltrans naming roster only recognized I-10, which is why I hesitated when I got the email. I see it on the AAA maps, but I wonder the source? Was this an unofficial AAA name? Did the CHC (which is what gave names in those days) extend the name?

I mean, I guess I could put it on my pages that "One source noted that AAA maps indicate..."

This does get more critical, as Tom and I are about to schedule recording ep 5.02 of the podcast, which covers I-15 between Temecula and Devore. That means we'll be covering the section of I-215 (nee US 935, nee I-15, nee I-15E) that was supposedly the San Bernardino Freeway, so I'll be obliged to modify the ep to mention the controversy. I'd like to get it right.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

DTComposer

I do have a 1971 Gousha map that clearly names what was then I-15, now I-215 as the Riverside Freeway south of I-10, the San Bernardino Freeway from I-10 to CA-30, and the Barstow Freeway north of CA-30.

CA-30 does not have a labeled name on this map.

NE2

Do you have the actual 1954 commission action?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Oho, from my saved 2006_Named_Freeways.pdf p. 206:
QuoteSAN BERNARDINO: This portion of Route 10 is from the connection with Route 2 near the Aliso St. Bridge in the City of Los Angeles to a connection with Route 43 east of Calton and Route 43 from a connection with Route 26 northerly to the City of San Bernardino is named by long local usage in the Counties of Los Angeles and San Bernardino.

It looks like a 1964 booklet has the same definition:
QuoteRoute 26 from a connection with Route 2 near the Aliso Street Bridge in the City of Los Angeles to a connection with Route 43 east of Colton; and Route 43 from a connection with Route 26 northerly to the City of San Bernardino

This is probably the text of the commission action.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cahwyguy

That's strong enough for me. I'll add it to the pages in the next round of updates.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

M3100

San Bernardino Chamber of Commerce map dated 1963, showing the 'San Bernardino Freeway' name just north of the I-10 interchange.  The cartography is crudely edited in parts, and the map does not otherwise list a source.  Text accompanying the map refers to the 'Freeway' without a title.




Bickendan

I recall the 215 being the SBD Frwy at least to the 259, but where I saw that I don't remember, nor do I have that particular map anymore. I checked my 2001 SBD/Riverside Thomas Guide, and the 1998 California TG, and they label the 215 as just 'Frwy'. 1994 might have had the full name (as that was the year Thomas Bros converted to their digital cartography based on the grid system they developed in collaboration with Trimble), but I only have Los Angeles/Orange for 1994.
I suspect my memory of the 215 being the SBD came from the 1988, 1989, or 1990 California TG, or from one of the AAA maps of the same vintage, as that's when I moved from SoCal to Oregon as a kid.

cahwyguy

Now to find a picture of a sign in the field with "San Bernardino" and one of the appropriate shields (US 395, I-15, I-15E, or I-215) for that section to confirm that it was signed in the field.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways