News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SC Speed Cameras

Started by realjd, December 22, 2010, 08:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 04, 2011, 10:25:51 PM
Quote from: Jerseyman4 on July 30, 2011, 05:35:04 PM
More than likely, Gov Haley will pull the plug on its speed camera enforcement that will prohibit automated speed enforcement. I can see Ridgeland getting pissed off with this. Would not surprise me if they become a Waldo, Lawtey or Starke, Florida by having every municipal police officer at every median cut on its 8 mile POS jurisdiction on I-95 to punish drivers for going 1mph over the speed limit.

When we passed through there on July 2 they had several cop cars out and a cop standing on an overpass with a radar gun and a hand-held radio.

Surprised the SC State Police let them get away with that.  When I-196 was built, Hudsonville, MI wanted to patrol the new freeway.  The Michigan State Police told them that if the locals were found patrolling the new freeway, they'd be arrested on the spot.  That ended Hudsonvile's thoughts of becoming a lucrative speed trap.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Maybe the way their state apportions jurisdiction is different from how Michigan does it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: mtantillo on August 05, 2011, 01:10:42 PM
I had a friend get pulled over for doing 20 over in Greenville, SC on I-85 (well known speed trap).  Cop wrote him a ticket.  Said he could plead not guilty and show up in court, he could pay the full fine to the state and get 4 points, or he could instead send the full fine and ticket to the county judge (address scribbled in pencil on the back of the ticket by the officers) and the judge would only give him two points.    See, all about money...you pay the state, you get nailed, you pay us, we'll cut you a deal.

Something similar happened to me, in a remote Texas county whose deputies seem to have little to do but tend their little speed trap.  One got me for 80 in a (seriously underposted) 70.  I was given a "probation before judgment"-type option, which would result in no report to my DMV (and so no points) if I kept my nose clean for a few weeks.  Needless to say, I had to pay extra for that option.

The local judge was annoyed when I later asked for documentation that my ticket was dismissed per the plea deal, though she did mail me a copy.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.