National Boards > General Highway Talk

America's Scariest Roads?

<< < (8/12) > >>

relaxok:
I don't know if it's "scary" really, but 89A between Prescott Valley and Jerome, AZ through the mountains I recall being pretty uncomfortable... endless switchbacks, it really starts to get to you.. especially if you're alone..

Another place I've felt something like that kind of fatigue, is the drive south from Yosemite back to the bay area.. CA-41 I guess, toward Fresno.  It's just really tiring to drive.  I needed to go to sleep immediately and been really on edge every time I've made that drive.   Again, not scary so much as unpleasant.   The first 50 miles or so are agonizing.

froggie:

--- Quote ---Also, Skyline Drive during a foggy, rainy day.
--- End quote ---

Can't count this one too much...at least not the Virginia version.  Speed limit never gets above 35.  I've been able to do most of it at that speed, even on a "foggy rainy day".

nexus73:
Oregon's South Coast has two dangerous narrow curvy roads that will give those who drive it all the chills and thrills they will want.  The Powers Highway runs 18 miles from 42 to Powers.  It starts off benignly enough for the first few miles and then it's all tough sledding after that.  Add in some slides and you're good to NOT go...LOL!  The other one would be in Curry County and it's an old alignment of US 101 (replaced in 1965 and that cut the trip from Gold Beach to Brookings from 40 to 27 miles) that today is called Carpenterville Road.  Steep dropoffs with no guardrails mean one teensy bit of inattention will kill you.  The town of Carpenterville no longer exists but when it did, it was located at what at that time was the highest point on US 101 (since superceded by the Redwood Freeway's summit in northern Humboldt County) so you could face winter snows to add to the hazards of narrow curvy highway.  The one redeeming feature of that spot was you could see the Siskiyous on a clear day from there.  Do not even think of driving your RV's on these roads if you are not used to driving on roads straight from before The Grapes of Wrath era!

Rick

xonhulu:
That might explain why neither of these state highways has been marked with their route shields: the Powers Highway is designated OR 542 and the Carpenterville Highway is OR 255. 

But they're not the worst highways on the Oregon state highway system.  Many of the highways in the eastern part of the state, like OR 74 east of Heppner, OR 27's southern portion (which is gravel), OR 242 through McKenzie Pass, and OR 245 over Dooley Mountain, have the same problems or worse.  And there are some pretty winding sections on other otherwise good roads, like OR 34 east of Mary's Peak, US 20 west of OR 126, etc.

MDOTFanFB:
My nomination is I-75 over the Rouge River in Detroit, MI, that extends to exit 44 to the north, in between there is a very dangerous curve. It is okay on clear days, but during storms, you may worry you will drive off the bridge. Trust me, that has happened before, a truck drove off and crashed into some houses in the Delray neighborhood below, killing the driver (I think that was 2-3 years ago). But however, it does provide you a nice view of Detroit's skyline heading NB, day or night.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version