AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-90 / Mass Pike Signing Work  (Read 67598 times)

bob7374

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 11:46:24 PM
    • Bob Malme's Road Pages
Re: I-90 / Mass Pike Signing Work
« Reply #375 on: October 09, 2019, 11:35:27 PM »

Drove the Pike through the Springfield area today.   The button copy assembly at Exit 6 WB is still there.  I really thought it would have been long gone by now.
You would think so since the replacement gantry support posts were put up about a year ago. The latest MassDOT listing says the project is to be complete this fall, so I guess they have a couple months more to finish the work (at last check they also needed to put up 1/2 mile advance overheads for Exit 1 WB and for Exit 2 EB).

bob7374

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 11:46:24 PM
    • Bob Malme's Road Pages
« Reply #376 on: October 21, 2019, 06:10:44 PM »

Looks like the contractors are finally getting around to placing the last new overhead sign westbound at the I-290 interchange on Auburn. From MassDOT's Twitter account:
Traffic Alert: #Auburn- I-90 E/W at Interchange 10, overnight intermittent lane closures, rolling roadblocks thru Thurs, Oct 24, 11pm-5am. Overhead sign installation.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: Today at 09:35:32 AM
« Reply #377 on: October 22, 2019, 09:16:48 AM »

Looks like the contractors are finally getting around to placing the last new overhead sign westbound at the I-290 interchange on Auburn. From MassDOT's Twitter account:
Traffic Alert: #Auburn- I-90 E/W at Interchange 10, overnight intermittent lane closures, rolling roadblocks thru Thurs, Oct 24, 11pm-5am. Overhead sign installation.
I may have to take a slight detour while heading home from this weekend's Newburyport meet to see it in the field.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 11:53:28 PM
« Reply #378 on: October 22, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »

Now we just need the town line signs in the Berkshires and the overheads near Springfield to go in. I'll be able to check on those Friday.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

« Reply #379 on: October 25, 2019, 11:03:47 AM »

Exit 6 WB button copy remains. Still missing the town/county line signs at the Otis/Blandford line and a few assorted warning signs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Beeper1

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 11:10:56 PM
« Reply #380 on: December 03, 2019, 12:19:45 AM »

Passing through western MA, numerous town line signs still not replaced (Blandford/Otis,  Warren/Brimfield,  Westfield/W. Springfield, eastbound Westfield River & Russell/Montgomery).    The button copy at Exit 6 WB is still in place.

Most of the progress of the last 6 moths seems to be on the BGSs on the on-ramp splits.

DrSmith

• Last Login: December 07, 2019, 11:07:07 PM
« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2019, 12:00:26 AM »

On the Pike Westbound after the Allston-Brighton onramp there is a new Speed Limit 40 sign.  A short bit down the road (1/4 mile maybe?) there's a new 55 mph sign.  Not sure if the speed drop is from the old toll plaza and still marked as such through there, choosing the post a lower speed limit through the curves there (as opposed to advisory speeds) or something else.

Ben114

• yep that's me

• Last Login: Today at 07:13:25 AM
« Reply #382 on: December 04, 2019, 12:10:02 AM »

On the Pike Westbound after the Allston-Brighton onramp there is a new Speed Limit 40 sign.  A short bit down the road (1/4 mile maybe?) there's a new 55 mph sign.  Not sure if the speed drop is from the old toll plaza and still marked as such through there, choosing the post a lower speed limit through the curves there (as opposed to advisory speeds) or something else.
Given the distance between the signs, it's most likely a speed limit from the tight curves in that area.

cl94

« Reply #383 on: December 04, 2019, 11:34:38 AM »

It's Massachusetts. Advisory speeds generally do not exist outside of ramps. They likely lowered the limit for the curves as is typical on surface roads.

RobbieL2415

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 07:09:44 PM
« Reply #384 on: December 04, 2019, 11:52:55 AM »

Now we just need the town line signs in the Berkshires and the overheads near Springfield to go in. I'll be able to check on those Friday.

There's already ones up for Becket and Lee.

RobbieL2415

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 07:09:44 PM
« Reply #385 on: December 04, 2019, 11:54:57 AM »

Because MA likes to be able to enforce speed limits.  If you make it an advisory sign you can only be ticketed for a basic speed law violation.  If there's an actual limit posted then it has statutory protection and they can go after you for actual speeding.

vdeane

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 10:35:04 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #386 on: December 04, 2019, 01:02:13 PM »

It's Massachusetts. Advisory speeds generally do not exist outside of ramps. They likely lowered the limit for the curves as is typical on surface roads.
Many ramps use statutory limits as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: December 08, 2019, 09:58:21 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #387 on: December 04, 2019, 10:54:54 PM »

Because MA likes to be able to enforce speed limits.  If you make it an advisory sign you can only be ticketed for a basic speed law violation.  If there's an actual limit posted then it has statutory protection and they can go after you for actual speeding.
Yeah, but every curve does not warrant a speed limit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.